• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Davus402

Aircraft crash sites

Nice find Dave. Unfortunately it seems the location are kept fairly obscure, would love to figure out where a few of them are located! :)

Yes they are obscure, but that keeps vandals away. If you do some digging you can find the locations. I have the GPS location of some here in Texas, though I have yet payed a visit to them.

Yeah, I understand and may have to start digging and seeing what I can find. :)

I have hiked the one on Mt Potosi. It was a 12 hour round trip and I was worn out by the time the day ended. This was the Carol Lombard site from 1942. Lots of big pieces of the plane are still there. 

There are a ton of sites and it takes a little internet digging but you can find them. One very famous one is an SR71 crash out near Delamar, NV. I haven't found it yet, but the search continues!

Now I feel like an idiot Clay, if only I had taken the time to search! :doh: Thanks for the link. :rockon22:

Kind of related, but if you zoom into google maps using the following coordinates, you will see an interesting airplane: +36° 45' 40.79", -116° 42' 30.23"

Clearly just a plan flying, but it did cause me to take a second look.

Welcome to the club Bob, I’ve been a member of the “idjit” club for years. ;>)

I’ve been keen on the thought of checking out old crash sites, but I have never come across one or specifically set out to find one. I’ve read about a few crash sites and thought I saved the info to file for reference & was going to post it, but I couldn’t find anything on my HD. For the heck of it, I gave Google a shot. DOH! (smacks forehead). I wish I had searched before. Thanks for planting that seed of thought as I wouldn’t have searched otherwise. This fall or next summer I’m going to try to hit some of those mapped Northern Nevada crash locations.

A substantial number of crash sites in Death Valley as well. And as well as adjacent Saline Valley and Owens Valley. Over the years I've found online and published resources, which include the background of the flight, the details of the crash, the aftermath, and modern images of what may be left.

Such crash sites, such as the X-15, a hypersonic, suborbital plane, have memorials or plaques. My father was among the first on scene of the crash of that plane, as he and a crew were working about a mile away, laying fiber optic cable to nearby Ridgecrest. Here is a concise story on the crash at http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/april2011.html