• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

El Polvo

Santa Barbara trip

Every now and again, I have to do at least three pilgrimages, one to southern AZ where my ancestors date back to about 1754 or so. Another is to the Pacific Ocean and the other is to various places of my ancestors. This time it was to Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara has a beautiful mission, one of, if not the most beautiful of all that are in California. It was protected by the royal presidio of Santa Barbara or Real Presidio de Santa Barbara. This presidio had from 35 to 55 men stationed there at its peak and they were charged with the protection of the padres, missions, civilians, and ground claimed under the Spanish banner from San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles. It was founded in 1782 and permanent structures were built in 1784. Over the past several years, the Santa Barbara trust for historic preservation has led the endeavor of rebuilding the presidio and making it a state historical park. Here's a few pics from the trip.

California Poppies

Mission Santa Barbara

The Presidio Santa Barbara

Inside the presidio chapel

One of my ancestors is buried beneath the chapel floor

Horno (oven)

Lance tips, (could these be from my ancestors lances?)

Various artifacts

I swear I have been there, but I can't nail down a date. we love visiting the old missions! Really nice photos!

I almost forgot to add that there were four presidios in what is today California, San Diego, San Francisco, Monterey and the last on the North American continent by the Spanish, Santa Barbara