• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Davus402

Toroweep

Well my Pathfinder made it to the Toroweep overlook at the Grand Canyon. Worth the 91 miles of dirt roads from St.George.

Most of the road was very good. The last eight or so were like this.

And this.

....but the view. I camped out for one night.

Got up early to watch the moon set and the sun rise.

Thanks all. The route from St George is the most scenic, but the longest by thirty miles. It includes a climb up Mount Trumble on a one lane road. Two other routes are from Colorado City or Fredonia. I came out on Fredonia route. The roads all are good till you hit the National Park. I survived with no flats but I did repair a tire for another group at the campground. As of September you will need to make reservations for the campground. Right now it is a first come basis. Sites 1 through 3 are easiest to get to 4 through 9 looked to be the best with some afternoon shade, but have a steep rocky decent to reach that becomes a steep rocky climb to leave. A spotter is a nice to have but not required. I have 11 inches of clearance and still got a nice dent on my skidplate. I have some pictures on my phone I will download later.

Matt, have you ever heard of Fort Garrett, Az. It is west of Toroweep. Looks like it would be a good adventure.

Thanks David, I'll try a dry run first, (w/o trailer) then hit it again later. I have so much lined up right now I'm running short of time every where. Thanks for sharing, that looks like an awesome trip.

Great photos!! I had the great fortune in the 1970's to meet John Riffey, who was the National Park Ranger in that country. He was a real legend! There are quite a few references to him online. Our first visit was over an Easter Holiday. Our two sons who were very young were so disappointed that we were going to such a remote area that weekend.....how was the Easter Bunny ever going to find them??? Imagine their surprise when there were two baskets on the picnic table and eggs hidden around the site when they woke up on Easter morning!!