• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Toysx2

Chevelon Butte Country northern Arizona

Chevelon Butte is a prominent landmark located about midway between Winslow and the Mogollon Rim in northern Arizona. I was in the area very recently to locate a historic ranger station, two ranch/homestead sites on nearby Clear Creek and to see what was up on the butte. While there, I was very fortunate to learn that the nearby O’Haco Cattle Company was seasonally opening their roads to vehicular travel and I was able to take a quick spin through several sites under their control. Road closures to two of the sites gave me the opportunity to get out on foot and get some exercise.

These photos are from the ride out to the ranch/homestead sites on Clear Creek. The canyon is one of the many large and deep canyons that drain off of the Mogollon Rim to the Little Colorado River. Its bottom did not seem to be very accessible at these locations. I do not know much about the history of these places. One had a date of 1918 scratched into a concrete tank. The O’Haco Ranch started back in that same era as a sheep raising operation. As its neighbors failed, the O’Hacos took over the properties and grew their ranch to the very large operation that it is today. Were these two places, examples of those early failed enterprises? One of them is definitely part of the O’Haco Ranch Today. For more pictures of these sites and the others:

www.azbackcountryadventures.com/ohaco.htm

Great pics Ernie! I particularly like the one of the fireplace and stove. It makes my imagination wonder about the life in this house. It was a tough life in AZ prior to the days of AC.

The harshness of life in the remote areas of Arizona was really impressed upon me in a book describing life in the Pleasant Valley area east of Payson Arizona. I believe that it was in the very early 1900's that the male member of one family landed a job as a roving Forest Ranger. The pay was $1.00 per month. That amount of money made such a difference in the lives of that family!  It allowed them to survive and stay in the area.....In another instance, a single fellow, living on a small, remote ranch broke his leg. Neighbors tried to help for a while, but were unable to spend extended periods away from their own places. It pretty much took all of their energy to keep their own lives together...The fellow lost his ranch because of that one injury. It was a catastrophic incident.

Awesome photos and write up! Looks like you took a nice long hike, some amazing landscapes out there!

An online news article yesterday explained the amount of water seen in Clear Creek Canyon. Apparently the lake upstream is being lowered by 26 feet so that inspections/repairs can be done to the dam. Blue Ridge Reservoir, one of the prettiest lakes in the state will be closed from mid September to April.