Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vegas_Nick

Safety Reminder (my experience last week)

So this past weekend I scored a gig with a military contractor to scout some trails for training exercises. Being that this trail area would be one we plan on utilizing for a labor day run, I called upon two of our groups more experienced drivers and one of our first rate spotters. We ran the trail system with the contract folks and we departed ways at the Logandale, NV OHV park. 

We decided to go play for a while afterwards and took a route that we all knew very well. It was one that out spotter was most familiar with and one that he had guided many trucks across. The first rock obstacle went without a hitch as did the nice waterfall climb. We were headed out on the last rock staircase climb when this happened:

15026468796_69967a931a_b.jpg

15049106342_87a7827fb3_b.jpg

I was the lead rig and made it up without a hitch. Rod, the driver of this rig, started up behind me and the rocks we had used 100 times before to climb up this staircase simply crumbled under his left front tire. A simple quick chirp of the tire was all we heard then the left front dropped into the crevice. In what I will call extremely slow motion, his rig rolled right over. 

If I was not sold on the FJ before this, I am now. I am yelling to see if he is ok, and all I get back is a slow "yeahhhhh". He saw he was going over and killed the engine then braced for the roll. (yes he had on his seat belt) From the roll to completed recovery was around 8 minutes. I went up to the ridge above him and to the left. We tied on to the rock rail and pulled him back over. The rig rolled upright with the same grace that it initially rolled with. He started it back up, backed up and got a new line and climbed the staircase! He drove it home with no issues at all. 

Damage is minor with what sounds like a fender and two door skins. Not a scratch on him except for a spilled coffee! We've critiqued this to death and played the what if game enough already. I asked Rod's permission to post because we wanted to remind everyone that even an awesome day can end in tragedy, and it can happen quickly! I mentioned who was with me in the beginning of this post because the point being that we are all experienced in handling our rigs in this terrain. If this could happen to one of us, it could happen to anyone.  We've thought of a hundred scenarios that could have changed the outcome both better and worse. In the end, good news is that he is ok and his rig is fixable. :cheers:

And... we have beat this to death. Lots of simple mistakes were uncovered once we looked at the video. The spotter on the wrong side, Could the driver turned more uphill and gassed it? LOTS of what ifs and second guessing, but the fact remains that the accident happened to an experienced off road driver with other experienced people watching. Any of us could have halted this at any moment. Things happen quickly!

Glad everyone came through that OK.  I'd love to see video of the recovery.  It doesn't look like there was a good angle for a tandem pull on the front and rear (timing, timing, timing) or from the side using what look like weld-on sliders.  Almost looks like a job for a rock anchor and a couple of snatch blocks. :-/

Glad everyone is okay Nick, and you are 100% dead on, these things can happen so fast and many times end in tragedy. It's great to hear nobody was hurt. It's good he had some good friends there to help him get his rig back on the road. I agree with Ed, I would like to see the video if you guys end up posting it.

Glad everyone was okay without injury. I agree, sometimes all the stars can line up against you and sh!t happens. The best thing to do is not panic and be prepared. It sounds like that's exactly what happened. Thanks for reminding all of us that this stuff can happen any time, any place!

Thanks guys! Yep, he's back on the road already. To make us all feel bad, we've looked at the video over and over and spotted at least 10 places where we could have avoided the entire thing. The kid that was spotting for us hasn't been back on the trail. He is just shy of having a nervous breakdown over the whole thing. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• Our picks

• This is the location of the famous Mojave Phone Booth. Unfortunately not much is left today, but it's still a cool location to visit with an interesting history. 
      • 1 reply
    • South Pass City WY
      South Pass City, approximately 90 miles north of Rock Springs, is a historic site administered by the state of Wyoming.  It consists of over 30 log, frame, and stone buildings, along with the Carissa Mine and Stamp Mill.

South Pass City Historic Site
      • 11 images
    • Surprise Canyon, California
      Recently, I’ve been going through my old VHS video tapes and digitizing them to DVDs.  These tapes contain my travels and explorations between 1995 and 2009.  I thought I’d start releasing some video shorts of my early travels on this forum.

The back story for this particular video is as follows.  On March 30, 1996, I made a short hike of about a mile and a third up the lower third of Surprise Canyon, on the western slopes of the Panamint Range, Inyo County, California.  This canyon is just outside of Death Valley National Park.  This canyon has running water running year round through the stretch shown, fed by substantial Limekiln Springs, and the canyon is a water wonderland.  For those not familiar with the area, refer to the two maps.  The first one shows the canyon in relation to the region, the other a close up of the canyon and the ghost town of Panamint City.  The blue line in the close up image shows the route that was taken.

• 23 replies
    • Exploration Field Trips - March 31-April 2, 2000 - Into the Nevada Triangle with Lew Shorb
      My next series of videos will be based on a trip in 2000 that I took with Lew Shorb.  Lew is a board member here, as well as owner of the popular website http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/ghost.htm

In breaking with my past habit of culling out historical sites and ghost towns and creating short videos dealing with these, I decided to keep the exploring part of Explore Forums in and create videos of each day of my travel and exploration, including our camps.  Scenery, travel, camping ghost towns and wide open spaces.

Part one of this series, as well as subsequent videos, will all appear here within this same thread. Part I will start in my garage, where I was finishing up with the packing my truck.  The following day, after work, I begin my travels to meet Lew Shorb at Rhyolite, Nevada ghost town.

Our three day, two night travels prowled about the "Nevada Triangle" section of northeastern Death Valley National Park; and will include such sites as:

1. The Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad
      2. Gold Bar
      3. Phinney Mine
      4. Strozzi Ranch
      5. Currie Well (LV&T RR)
      6. Mud Springs Summit (LV&T RR)
      7. Happy Hooligan Mine

This video, that of March 30th and 31st, will start off this series; and is brief, only being 3:28 long.  Nevada-Triangle_Shorb-2000_Part-1.wmv

So, below is my narrative of part one of this series to give full context of what is seen in the video.  It will probably take longer to read than the video is long.

--------------------------

• 9 replies
    • Exploration Field Trips: May 1-3, 2000 - Trip with Alan Patera and Alan Hensher into Death Valley
      Exploration Field Trips:
      May 1-3, 2000
      Trip with Alan Patera and Alan Hensher into Death Valley

What do you do with three authors, two 4x4’s, two two-way radios, three cameras, and camping supplies? Send them to Death Valley, of course. For three days in the first week of May, 2000, fellow authors and historical researchers Alan Patera, Alan Hensher and myself explored Death Valley north and south.

Alan Patera writes and publishes the WESTERN PLACES series of monograph books.  Alan Hensher has been published in several periodicals as well as authoring several books, centering primarily on the history of Mojave Desert sites.

Alan Patera, who hails from Oregon, came south to California and picked up Alan Hensher; then the two came my way. At the time I was living in Ridgecrest, California. After overnighting with my wife and I, the three of us took off for Death Valley.  Alan was busy researching and photographing for a future edition of WESTERN PLACES, this time centering on the camps of the Funeral Range, which forms the eastern border of east central Death Valley.  Circumstances and changes of our journey lead Alan to plant the seeds of two more future books, this time centering just outside the northernmost section of Death Valley.

• 4 replies