NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,604 posts
  • LocationReno, NV
  • First Name:Bob
  • Camera:Canon EOS Rebel t2i
  • Explore Vehicle:2005 Dodge Durango

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

I changed out my spark plugs on my Durango yesterday and also changed out my oil with a fresh supply of AMSOIL. Gearing up for the summer for exploration! Anyway, I was reading on a lot of forums about the brands of plugs a lot of people are using on the 4.7L engines and wanted to point out that a lot of people are using the wrong plugs on their 2005 (not sure what years this affects) 4.7 L Dodges. I have the shop manual which states:

"CAUTION: The 4.7L V–8 engine is equipped with copper core ground electrode spark plugs. They must be
replaced with the same type/number spark plug as the original. If another spark plug is substituted, preignition
will result."

This is on page 1,149 of the shop manual. I am posting this random post in hopes it may help someone who is trying to figure out what spark plugs they should use in the 4.7L Dodge (pre 2008).

The stock plug is a Champion Copper Core plug. I usually think Champion plugs are garbage, but have stuck with them in the Durango due to the shop manual's recommendations. What is interesting is that they only state this for the 4.7 L, and not the 3.7L or the 5.7L. Therefore it's not as if they are trying to promote a specific brand of plug.

Hopefully if someone has a Dodge or Chrysler 4.7L engine, this will help them select the right plug for their engine.

Ads Do Not Show For Members

#2 David A. Wright

David A. Wright

Advanced Explorer

• Established Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Nevada

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Working in the auto parts industry, I am amazed at how modern vehicles micromanage what can be and what cannot be used. Computers and sensors rule all and it's expensive to re-engineer vehicles to suit our personal tastes.

Come replacement / repair time and it can be a nightmare. You want new shocks? What color are the seats and what is the radio tuned to? If your seats are green and your radio is tuned to 92.7 FM, then you need this part number. If blue and 100.2, then this one. Sarcastic, but almost true.

A guy called the store one night. I had a woman from hell in front of me giving me grief at the same time. The guy wanted a "remote control" for his late 90s Ford Ranger. What did I think he was talking about? A remote lock/unlock fob, of course. After a lot of disussion (all the while the woman from hell is giving me grief simultaneously and now worse because she felt I shouldn't be talking to someone on the phone), I finally concluded the guy was talking about the truck's main brain.

What engine? "I don't know." A 4-cylinder, a six cylinder (there's two possible V6's)? "I don't know." I stick in a 3.0 L V6 just to get started, thinking that a good percentage have a V6; then I could hop to the other engines and see if any part numbers change. I figured that the same brain would work on either the 3.0 or 4.0. Is it a 4x4? "I don't know." This guy was starting to irritate me. As if I wasn't irritated enough with the woman from hell.

Wow. 14 possibilities. The fine print stated options, drivetrains, transmissions, wheelbases, cab configurations, even if the truck had a cigarette lighter or not made a difference. What's the VIN number? "I don't know." Automatic or manual transmission? "I don't know." A quick check on the 4-cylinder and 4.0 V6 showed that no part number interchanged with the other engines. Does your truck have a cigarette lighter? ""What are you, stupid or something? Hell with you, you dumb a$$. I'll call your competitors. Screw you!" Click.

All the while I the woman from hell kept screaming her demonic song ... Customer service jobs suck.
  • Bob and El Polvo like this
David A. Wright~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

#3 El Polvo

El Polvo

DUST

• Moderators
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Camera:Canon T5i Rebel
  • Explore Vehicle:2013 Nissan Frontier CrewCab Pro-4X

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Couldn't deal with customers like that, I have poor people skills and a hot head.

I couldn't find an Afe air filter for my truck, K&N but I wanted a dry one, finally baffled, I wrote to Afe, told them I had the 4 popper, auto trans and all, they sent me the part no. For the 6 cyl. WRONG! Guess I'll clean the MAS every other week to keep from blowing codes.

These charcoal canisters suck too. There's two main ways to trash them, one by over filling the tank at he gas station and the other is blasting down dirt roads on a regular basis.
  • Bob likes this

#4 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,604 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Haha, that sounds about right David, I don't know how many times I have been in the auto parts store and the customer has absolutely no information for the guy trying to help them find the part they need! It drives me crazy because I have to sit there and wait too, but I don't get pissed at the employee, I get pissed at the customer who can't has come ill prepared to get the part they need. I can't imagine how in the hell they are able to actually install the part once they have it in their hands.

I was intrigued about the Durango shop manual's caution statement, so I searched the internet and found the majority of 4.7 L Dodge and Chrysler owners use non-stock plugs, and most use plugs that are platinum instead of the copper core plugs. Usually when the shop manual is specific like that, they are specific for a reason and I usually just follow the shop manuals recommendation.

El Polvo,

I used to use a K&N filter and switched to an AMSOIL air filter, but I was hoping to do a comparison using a used oil analysis, but I haven't yet gotten around to actually doing the comparison, Maybe next time I will take the oil sample and get a UAO and see if there is any noticeable difference between the two air filters.

Do you have a Cold Air Intake on your truck? Why did you opt for a dry over oiled filter?

#5 El Polvo

El Polvo

DUST

• Moderators
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

The K&N's will oil up the sensor lighting up the dash light. The dirt here clogs up on it and the stock ones always need to be chucked within a week or two.

#6 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,604 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Are you talking about the MAF sensor, I know that can be a problem if you over-oil the K&N, and those MAF sensors are not cheap, so I don't blame you for going with a dry filter. If it's the MAF sensor, I think they making a MAF cleaner you can spray on them. Sounds like you have the same kind of dust / dirt we have here.
  • El Polvo likes this

#7 El Polvo

El Polvo

DUST

• Moderators
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Are you talking about the MAF sensor, I know that can be a problem if you over-oil the K&N, and those MAF sensors are not cheap, so I don't blame you for going with a dry filter. If it's the MAF sensor, I think they making a MAF cleaner you can spray on them. Sounds like you have the same kind of dust / dirt we have here.

Yes, mass air flow sensor and I pull it once every week or two and spray it clean with the maf cleaner. The charcoal canister is the emissions filters and they clog with dirt. It's still under warrantee and as long as it is, the stealership can replace those and the valves at the top too.
  • Bob likes this

#8 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,604 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, good idea, let them deal with it cause once it's no longer covered, they won't lift a finger to help you probably.
  • El Polvo likes this

#9 El Polvo

El Polvo

DUST

• Moderators
  • 2,354 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, good idea, let them deal with it cause once it's no longer covered, they won't lift a finger to help you probably.

Every vehicle out here has light up that charcoal canister sensor. The Toyota Tacoma I just sold had 12k when I bought it and within a few mos it light up and they wanted 500 bucks to replace it, the warrantee was up when it did. I replaced the one on my old Nissan myself and this new one is on it's 3rd canister replaced by Nissan.

#10 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,604 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, I replaced the canister on my Durango and it was packed with dirt, but's an easy repair on the Durango.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dodge durango, 4.7, spark plugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users