• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'll have to post the pics of cherry tomato flowers and eggplant flowers from my garden that I took a couple days ago once I upload them to my computer.  

A few of my flower photos.  All of these were photographed on a blustery, cloudy, spring day in Wildrose Canyon, western Panamint Range, Death Valley National Park.

The shrub flower and the other purple flower I don't know their details.  Beavertail is universal.  Dodder (often called "Witch's Hair) is a parasitic thing, that attacks, feeds off of, then dies with the plant it killed off.  It's found annually in the region and I suppose elsewhere.  It also has flowers.  Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuscuta

Panamint Daisy is unique to this canyon and one or two adjacent canyons.  It blooms only when conditions are just perfect  It is larger and has fewer flowers per shrub than its cousin, the Mojave Daisy.  It is known to have bloom cycles decades apart.  I was fortunate enough to find it on a couple of consecutive times during the late 1990s and early 2000s.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enceliopsis_covillei

cactus-bloom_wildrose-canyon-dvnp.jpg

dodder_wildrose-canyon-dvnp.jpg

flower_wildrose-canyon-dvnp1.jpg

flower_wildrose-canyon-dvnp2.jpg

panamint-daisy_wildrose-canyon-dvnp.jpg

Death Valley is in the midst of a big wildflower bloom this year.  It’s highly unlikely that I’ll have a chance to get there to witness it.  So I’ll just have to console myself with my photos taken during the big bloom of the spring of 2005.  I’d thought I’d share them here.

There are eight photos that I chose out of the dozens that I took that day, eleven full years ago, when my wife and I took a day drive from our home, then in Big Pine, California, to Death Valley to see for ourselves what we had been hearing about.

The valley had received record rains that winter and the entire southern end of the valley was abloom.  These photos were start between Stovepipe Well and Furnace Creek; then at a point north of Badwater; then south to the area of Confidence Mill (shown) near the Amargosa River in the southernmost part of the valley.  The last image was taken on a road that takes off up an alluvial fan just north of Badwater on our way home, looking southwest over the southern part of the valley; aptly illustrating how copious the rains and snows that visited the region during the previous months.

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_01.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_02.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_03.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_04.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_05.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_06.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_07.jpg

2005_Death-Valley-Flower-Bloom_08.jpg

Awesome shots Dave, I heard about the big bloom this year and wanted to make the trip too. Unfortunately that's not going to happen, but your photos give me a good idea of what I would have seen anyway.

These wildflowers, I believe to be of the phlox family, are found in large areas of the Humboldt Range.  The bloom has intensified since this photo was taken.  Fields of white, lavender and purple paint the sides of the range and canyons.

This example was taken at the very crest of the Humboldt Range at Spring Valley Pass, at the heads of Limerick and Spring Valley Canyons.  The view is northerly to 8,931 foot high Indian Peak.  The photo was taken with my cell phone held down to ground level.

wildflowers_2016-04-07.jpg

I love the mixture of white and light pink shades on those flowers Dave.  The yelow heads are an extra bonus. 

Great shot Dave, sounds like I am missing some nice flower blooms while I am sitting in the mountains of California. Figures.

Thanks Bob,  just been playing around, remember I don't do any of that four letter obscene thing that ends in K. 

April 14th found me up on top of the Humboldt Range again.  A couple photos of the blooming wildflowers.  One is at the summit of the range at Spring Valley Summit; the other is of the carpet of flowers midway down Spring Valley Canyon – the east side of the Humboldt Range – looking northwest, where just the summit of Indian Peak can be seen.

1_2016-04-14_spring-valley-summit-phlox.jpg

2_2016-04-14_spring-valley-canyont-phlox.jpg