• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CindyN11

CES 2015: Best Drones We've Seen so Far:

This new drones look pretty good for those of us who do not have a lot of money to spend. I am already looking at buying the Zano, which has an excellent write -up this month in Popular Science magazine. The makers are looking at a price range of $300, which is very much within range for many of us.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/25370/20150108/ces-2015-best-drones-weve-seen-so-far-nixie-zano-micro-drone-3-0-inspire-1-and-ghost.htm

They are very cool but I am trying to avoid succumbing to the "i want". Played with a friends up near lake Shasta, the features were unbelievable, His his much larger, hauls a GoPro, has lots of neat failure safety modes, etc.
I am not gonna buy one...not for a while anyway. :D

There's definitely the fabulous opportunity to capture something beyond your best telephoto lens using a drone.  There's a couple individuals in the northeast I know personally that use them...and the stuff they've captured is breathtaking.  The scary situation is that there's already been several law changes taken place in the short history of their existence.....everything from profit making ventures to privacy!  Control issues is a whole can of worms to begin with, when line of sight is your basic "line in the sand".  What you do in one neighborhood may only bother Mother Nature, what you do in another neighborhood may easily have you talking to authorities!  Personally, the wide open spaces, with existing physical limitations screams to have that "second chance" with a drone!

200302221120.JPG

The GoPro Karma will probably be pretty good once they work out the bugs, and the same with the DJI Mavic. I am just waiting for the bugs to get worked out then I will grab one. This Phantom 3 is insanely large to carry around while exploring.

GoPro Karma package was tempting due to a handheld stabilizer and camera you can take off but the falling out of the sky part doesn't sit too well.  DJI Mavic looks to be pretty badass. Guy that I follow that does professional drone stuff from laser mapping to wedding videos likes them too. Love to get one, I can think of a lot of places I would like to fly one. 

I'm the same. Looking at the DJI Phantom. However the problem is getting the certification if I plan to use it for my photography business i.e. commercial use. It's very expensive for the training. Does the same rules apply for the US?

Scott1 here is the info on the US UAS program...

FAA Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I did the training on my own by reading the FAA recommended publications and reviewing UAS tutorial sites such as these...

Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep

Rupprecht Law - FAA FAR Part 107

Besides the expense of buying a few FAA publications the only other expense was the $150 cost for the exam.

FAA UAS Pilot Certification

Yes, I've been looking at the Mavic closely since its debut. Well, I was looking at the Karma first and was pretty excited that Gopro was getting into the drone business, then DJI dropped the bomb with the Mavic. I have a DJI Phantom 3, filming with a Gopro Hero Black on a Zuess 3axis gimbal. It has worked great for a couple years. I was thinking about setting it up for POV but was waiting on the new Mavic or Karma. In my opinion, between the Mavic, Karma or the Phantom models the Mavic wins hands down, if for no other reason than size. I've lugged my Phantom 3 up mountains through the woods and in my truck for a couple years and it's a huge pain in the ass. It flies great and films great but the shear size is a major bummer. Even with the blades off it takes up a lot of space. Now the Karma had me intrigued. I liked the simplicity of the controller with POV, the way it folded down and the removable gimbal was a huge bonus. It packed down to a reasonable size and had good tech and flight abilities. The Mavic has all this and more. First off the size this thing folds down to is amazing! Going for a long hike and want to get some areal footage? No problem just throw it in your pack with the controller and still have tons of room. I like the fact you can mount your phone to the controller for POV and telemetry or just fly it with the app from your phone. For such a small drone the flight reviews are pretty encouraging. Most say it handles like the larger Phantoms. The flight abilities and features seem to be way ahead of the Karma's. That has a lot to do with DJI being in the business for quiet a while. The one thing I really liked about the Karma was the detachable gimbal that came with the package but I believe they sell just the gimbal separately so I think I'll just get that. With these drones and handheld gimbals Youtube videos are getting better and better.

44 minutes ago, Reverence said:

Yes, I've been looking at the Mavic closely since its debut. Well, I was looking at the Karma first and was pretty excited that Gopro was getting into the drone business, then DJI dropped the bomb with the Mavic. I have a DJI Phantom 3, filming with a Gopro Hero Black on a Zuess 3axis gimbal. It has worked great for a couple years. I was thinking about setting it up for POV but was waiting on the new Mavic or Karma. In my opinion, between the Mavic, Karma or the Phantom models the Mavic wins hands down, if for no other reason than size. I've lugged my Phantom 3 up mountains through the woods and in my truck for a couple years and it's a huge pain in the ass. It flies great and films great but the shear size is a major bummer. Even with the blades off it takes up a lot of space. Now the Karma had me intrigued. I liked the simplicity of the controller with POV, the way it folded down and the removable gimbal was a huge bonus. It packed down to a reasonable size and had good tech and flight abilities. The Mavic has all this and more. First off the size this thing folds down to is amazing! Going for a long hike and want to get some areal footage? No problem just throw it in your pack with the controller and still have tons of room. I like the fact you can mount your phone to the controller for POV and telemetry or just fly it with the app from your phone. For such a small drone the flight reviews are pretty encouraging. Most say it handles like the larger Phantoms. The flight abilities and features seem to be way ahead of the Karma's. That has a lot to do with DJI being in the business for quiet a while. The one thing I really liked about the Karma was the detachable gimbal that came with the package but I believe they sell just the gimbal separately so I think I'll just get that. With these drones and handheld gimbals Youtube videos are getting better and better.

I have to agree with you 100% on the size of the Phantom 3, it takes up so much room in the back of my SUV. I can't wait to get a smaller drone.

Mavic looks like the size of a tissue box, very small for a drone for it's capabilities. I watched one video of a range test, couldn't even get to the claimed maximum because he'd be out of battery before getting back lol. It was still over 2 miles out and had live video still showing, doubt I'd ever fly it out that far. 

Bob, do you ever use your Phantom to fly over a property before going in just to triple check no one is there? 

Btw, Karma grip is up for sale now, saw it listed for $299 on GoPro's site.

Once they get all the bugs worked out, I think the Mavic looks perfect for my needs. I keep my phantom 3 in one of those large cases, and it's always a PITA to bring along for exploring.

I have used it to scout a few times, but I need to invest in a larger screen because I can't see much on my small cell phone screen. How about you?

That Karma grip looks pretty cool. I have been wanting to get a GoPro, might have to pick on up soon.