Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

larry

My new project

I love CJ's and this is my latest one. It's a 77 with a 304, th400 auto, and full time 4x4. The body is a little rough but is in good mechanical shape. It's all stock except for the 4inch Procomp lift with Pro comp 33inch xterrain tires. New Painless wiring harness, and all new brakes parts from the booster to the pads. 

20141113_152853.jpg

This is my 3rd CJ I've owned since '87. I like the simplicity of them. They don't make the best daily driver or long trip vehicle but there's nothing better than to remove the doors, lay down the windshield and hit the dirt. 

Nice ride.  I almost bought that exact same ride, except it was a '78, a few years ago.  I ended up with an '85 and the I6/4sp.  It definitely sucked on road trips, but once I hit the dirt, that little beast was in its element.

Unfortunately, it also became a money pit for me - rebuilt the motor + carb (stupid BBD junk), went through and replaced the ujoints and pinion bearings (remarkably easy), wheel bearings, heater core, and a bunch of other stuff.  Though I sold it and ended up with a nice truck out of the deal, I still miss that CJ.  If I ever go that route again, it's going to be a mid-to-late 70's FJ40. 

It came stock with full time 4 wheel drive.  Sadly it's not in my hands anymore.   My wife, at the time, gave it to her boyfriend just to be mean.  I'm now looking for another Jeep or build my Samurai. 

1 hour ago, larry said:

It came stock with full time 4 wheel drive.  Sadly it's not in my hands anymore.   My wife, at the time, gave it to her boyfriend just to be mean.  I'm now looking for another Jeep or build my Samurai. 

I presume center diff?  Lockable?  Didn't even know they came that way, but I'm not exactly a Jeep guy (although I do own a JK).. 

Hell, build the Sammy...  we've got a few around here.... one guy in a Hyundai Santa Fe on 40's...  takes all kinda crazy 😉

8 minutes ago, larry said:

The sammy is the size of a side by side and I like that.  Since I already own it I may as well build it up.  

I believe there are tons of easily available mods as well..  Plus they're simple damn simple..  As long as the size isn't an issue for your needs, IMO it's an awesome platform to built out.

1 hour ago, braindead0 said:

I presume center diff?  Lockable?  Didn't even know they came that way, but I'm not exactly a Jeep guy (although I do own a JK).. 

Hell, build the Sammy...  we've got a few around here.... one guy in a Hyundai Santa Fe on 40's...  takes all kinda crazy 😉

Jeeps in the 70’s (amc) came out with a “quadra-trac” 4wd system. I had it on my J20 pick up truck. It was a beast. They had a switch (factory) in the glove box that warned against using it on dry ground or pavement that sounded simular to big rig brakes but quieter that locked all 4’s at the same speed. Not real good gas mileage, about 6-8 mpg which was the death sentence for the system and sales.