• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU CREW

How Many Miles Are On Your Explore Rig?

How Many Miles Are On Your Explore Rig?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Miles Are On Your Explore Rig?

• Less Than 50k Miles
    • Between 50k and 75k miles
    • Between 75k and 100k miles
    • Between 100k and 150k miles
    • Between 150k and 175k miles
    • More than 175k miles

Just getting ready to turn over 145,000 miles. Ten years ago today, I drove it home brand new from the Perry Motors lot in Bishop, CA.

I have just surpassed 160,000 miles on the Durango (or was it 150,000) going to have to go out and read that odometer again! :Lou: (getting old)

I put the most miles per year on it while living in Big Pine, CA. Between 2002 and 2004 I was driving between Big Pine and near Death Valley every week for work (stayed at a duplex I rented during my work week, so mileage commuting was less than 300 per week). Between 2005 and 2008 I was a merchandiser for Core-Mark Int. out of their Reno office, I put over 75,000 miles just during the course of work during those years. Since moving to Nevada, I have put on less than 4k per year. So overall, my mileage is low for a ten year old truck.

My little truck (Nissan Frontier) I got brand new in 2011. It has less than 20 k right now. It's a 2 wd strip down model. It doesn't quite go the same places that my 05 Frontier went. ( it was a 4x4 with rear lockers)

I've got just under 60K on my 2010 GMC and just aquired another dent heading up towards Reversed Peak near June Lake, Ca. the other day. I guess I should get the dents fixed so I can sell this truck.. I've had GMC's for qute a few years, but the sheetmetal on the newer trucks is CRAP. Besides, a lot of my exploring miles are put on a Polaris RZR. A little cheaper on gas and more fun, anyway.

• Like 1

I lived in June Lake 1974-1985. Climbed Reverse Peak a couple times. Drove all the trails along its flanks in my '70 Ford F250 4x4. Dents? Didn't care in those years. It took a big rock to put a noticible dent in those things.

• Like 1

I've got just under 60K on my 2010 GMC and just aquired another dent heading up towards Reversed Peak near June Lake, Ca. the other day. I guess I should get the dents fixed so I can sell this truck.. I've had GMC's for qute a few years, but the sheetmetal on the newer trucks is CRAP. Besides, a lot of my exploring miles are put on a Polaris RZR. A little cheaper on gas and more fun, anyway.

Yeah, a Polaris is an ideal exploring vehicle, but I haven't looked to see if they have a 6 seater.

Bob, they don't have a 6 seater RZR yet, but they do have a 6 seater Polaris Ranger Crew Cab. My wife and I are going to give a shot at a tour business in Az. during the winter and will probably be buying a Ranger Crew Cab in about a month or so. We may not make a ton of money off of the snowbirds, but it will most likely be a lot of fun..............................

Are you going to tour old ghost towns? How much are you going to charge for a tour? We might have to come down for a tour. :)

The going rate for a 3-3.5 hour tour around here is about $115-125 which includes a BBQ lunch and drink. One tour owner has about 30 ATV's and a few Rhinos, and seems to stay busy about 3 months out of the winter. There's some great scenery out in the Sonoran Desert, which is quite different than the Nevada/Ca. desert. We'll see how it goes.........

• Like 1

The going rate for a 3-3.5 hour tour around here is about $115-125 which includes a BBQ lunch and drink. One tour owner has about 30 ATV's and a few Rhinos, and seems to stay busy about 3 months out of the winter. There's some great scenery out in the Sonoran Desert, which is quite different than the Nevada/Ca. desert. We'll see how it goes.........

Where in AZ are you looking to start the bird business?

Queen Valley area. Mostly the eastern end of the Superstitions (Montana Mtn. Loop , etc.) , the Mineral Mtns., and 96 Hills area off of Hwy. 79 south of Florence. We seemed to have some pretty good interest in this type of thing the last few winters, so figured we'd give it a shot and see how it works out. Of course the Forest Service wants their piece of the pie (3% of the net) and they pretty much tell you which trails you can take. The insurance isn't cheap, either. I guess they figure one of the old folks is going to topple out of the Ranger as you're toolin' down the road. If this thing does OK, we'd like to do the same thing on a part time basis in the Eastern Sierras and into Nevada next summer. I've always loved the Nevada desert. I guess it would be the best of both worlds. We'll see.

• Like 2

This sound very interesting and I hope it's successful. Sounds like you are in the perfect location to get started.

Hope it goes well for you too, snowbirds are already beginning to flock in at a trickle up here.

• Like 1

Of course the Forest Service wants their piece of the pie ... If this thing does OK, we'd like to do the same thing on a part time basis in the Eastern Sierras and into Nevada next summer.

Some friends of mine tried for several years to lead 4x4 tours in the Eastern Sierra. Their methodology was to lead in their Toyota 4-Runner, with the group following behind in their own rigs. Following the group was the "sweep", a friend of theirs, who kept an eye on things and made sure all were present and accounted for. The leaders narrated the tour - pointing out history, anectdotes, warnings, etcetera - via CB and also kept in communication with the sweep via 2-Meter HAM radio (often members of the group had HAM radios as well). They were fully permitted by the Forest Service, BLM, etcetera. They also had insurance.

It was an expensive thing. Seldom were there enough participants to cover expenses. When the recession hit in '08, my friend lost his photo editor job at a newspaper that he held for years, so thus had to stop. Expenses and red tape was getting to the breaking point beforehand anyway.

Just sayin' ...

One of their tours, in which I often participated in (as a fellow historian / author / storyteller / narrator) since I lived nearby at the time was the Swansea - Cerro Gordo trail. A webpage on my former website is still online at http://www.gbr.4wdtr...photoessay.html Look for the green 4-Runner of my friends in several photos. I also lead a few people of my own on this trail; but informally; leading one only one or several vehicles along.

• Like 2

The Willys runs a 350 Chevy but otherwise stock. He also has a restored WW2 Jeep, decked out for battle duty, which he shows. He three times attempted to run the pickup with other groups and had to turn back within the first two miles due to fuel starvation issues. He finally got it sorted out and I took him on a tour of his own. He lives in the Central Valley area of California.

• Like 2

The Willys runs a 350 Chevy but otherwise stock. He also has a restored WW2 Jeep, decked out for battle duty, which he shows. He three times attempted to run the pickup with other groups and had to turn back within the first two miles due to fuel starvation issues. He finally got it sorted out and I took him on a tour of his own. He lives in the Central Valley area of California.

I've been too lazy to work on my two Willys'. One's a 54 3b and the other a 47 wagon. The wagon has a later model chassis as its a 4x4 and in case you didn't know they were 2wd til 49 when they had the head snapping F head 134.

• Like 1

David.................................I hope we can make this thing work and have fun with it, but I don't have any grand ideas of how wealthy we'll be down the road. If I can make a few bucks doing something I really enjoy, what the heck. I talked with Randy at Golden State Cycles in Bishop the other day, and he did the tour thing for one year, but decided to do ATV/UTV rentals , instead. I guess Russ from Mammoth shut down the rental business on the corner of Line St. and 395 due to some problems he encountered.(lack of business?) Great Willys, by the way..................................I had an MB1 a few years back, and it's sitting in a barn in Missoula, Mt. I doubt I'll ever see it again. Oh well.............

• Like 1

There is risk in everything, but if you never try it, you will never know, so I say go for it and have some fun. I know I would love pay for such a tour if I were a snow bird. :)