• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bob

Dry Ice For Camping - Don't Waste Your Money!

You can buy direct from Food Saver and if you sign up for emails they'll send you offers that are pretty good. But if you have a Costco nearby, I have found they have the stuff for the same price without the shipping charge. Especially on pre-made bags and the refill rolls.

The hand held unit I bought from Food Saver direct as it was a smoking package deal at the time.

Tried the dry ice thing........too much work.....$$$$$....... Takes up too much space.

Same here. i wanted to pack some frozen meat for an extended trip and bought dry ice, about $15 worth as I recall. It lasted all of maybe 48 hours and that was using the recommended methods from a dry ice website. Not worth the cost.

The only time I'd use dry ice again is if it were for ice cream to be enjoyed on the first or second night of camping.

Being a truck driver and living out of this truck 27 days a month I bought a 12v freezer. It wasn't cheap but it pays for itself by not having to eat out every day. My wife cooks all different types of meals and food savers it. Then before I start my day I put a bag in the cooler section of the freezer to thaw. When I get ready to eat I use a rice cooker and heat up my dinner right in the bag.

Being a truck driver and living out of this truck 27 days a month I bought a 12v freezer. It wasn't cheap but it pays for itself by not having to eat out every day. My wife cooks all different types of meals and food savers it. Then before I start my day I put a bag in the cooler section of the freezer to thaw. When I get ready to eat I use a rice cooker and heat up my dinner right in the bag.

That sounds like a great system Larry, not to mention a lot healthier than eating all that junk food too.

It's difficult to stay healthy out here. I try, I eat right, exercise, and do a lot of walking. I don't have a tv in my truck either.

We have bought more of them darn plastic ice chests over the years than I care to remember. I plan to buy exactly two more ice chests in my lifetime.

One of the new Coleman stainless retro-models. (I've watched yard sales for too long, just gonna wait til it is the season again and buy one) and then I am going to bite the bullet and spring for one of those Yeti deals, about mid-size.

The idea being that I will store the grub and drinks in the Coleman, and keep extra blocks/bags/frozen water jugs of ice in the Yeti, and only open it when I need ice to refresh the Coleman.

If I fall into some $ at some point and get to do my dream boondocking solar system on the 5'er, then maybe I will think about a 12v portable fridge, too. I don't think I want to run one on the house batteries alone. I'd be running the genny too much.

I know what you mean, those plastic coolers don't last very long. I might have to buy one of those steel retro models myself. What do they run?

I would love to have a nice solar system on a trailer. Would be perfect for the fridge. I have always wanted to find a way to run the AC without the generator, but I don't imagine one could ever put enough solar panels on the top of that small roof to run the AC though.

I know what you mean, those plastic coolers don't last very long. I might have to buy one of those steel retro models myself. What do they run?

I would love to have a nice solar system on a trailer. Would be perfect for the fridge. I have always wanted to find a way to run the AC without the generator, but I don't imagine one could ever put enough solar panels on the top of that small roof to run the AC though.

Don't recommend them, don't say they're bad either http://gpelectric.com/applications/rv-marine-power

My info may be old, but 12v power for a fridge isn't as efficient as propane. I guess if you had a huge by large solar system and lots of amp-hours stored in batteries then it would be feasible and practical. My experience with propane RV refers over the years has been that they are pretty fuel efficient. If you have a problem with one, it is likely the circuit  board, and Dinosaur boards have always been the answer, for me anyway.

These guys have saved 3 RV refers for me over the years, just by bolting in their products.

http://dinosaurelectronics.com/

That's a nice setup, I wonder how much it can lower the temps.

Swamp coolers ordinarily will cool 20 to 40 below ambient. If it's monsoon they're useless.

Thanks for sharing the great ideas. I always carried my cooler which is bought after reviewing from https://thehumannest.com/best-cooler-for-camping-reviews/, this site, when camping alone or with friends. Always carry Dry ice in our cooler. Yes, absolutely it will freeze everything including your foods. Your tips are awesome. Next time when we are going to camping along with cooler with dry ice, we will follow your instructions.