• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

braindead0

Antelope Lake Rose Quartz - Saturday 9/19/15

Tentative plan to make another run at this rock hounding site @ roughly  40.083903° -120.582239°

10:00AM we'll be at the gas station corner of Janesville Grade Road and 395  40.289739° -120.501236°

Google maps makes the route between these points excessively long (2 hours).  Sat images show what appears to be a fairly nice road at 40.085322, -120.575166 however google maps/earth wants to take a route completely around Babcock peak.  I suspect the road may be a well used trail, or not properly documented forest service road.

Our last attempt from the south was a really nice drive anyway, beautiful area and lots of nice landscapes, wildlife..etc..

Waiting for confirmation of my plan with the spouse..  figured I'd post here early in case anyone wants to come along.

We'll likely go early (been up since about 4am), doesn't seem like anyone else wants to tag along so we can go on our early bird time ;-)

Also found a few more collecting sites in the same area on Gem Trails of Northern CA..

Edited by braindead0

Just got back.  We made it, route suggested by Google earth/maps wasn't necessarily the best.  I'll pull the track off GPS and post more information/pics tomorrow.  We pulled out some rose and smokey quartz, no good crystals but we didn't dig around much as we wanted to check out the road that goes around Babcock Peak.  Some seriously nice valley views from the road, got several pictures.

Attached route we took in sections + waypoint for main rose quartz collecting area.  In the route.png image, the red track is the route google earth wanted to take (all the way around!).  The short green route is how we got there, took the longer around about way out.  Both of those routes are a bit messy, nothing that can't be handled with a stock 4x4.. our jeep (mostly stock JK sport) took it no problem.  Larger vehicles might expect more pinstriping and perhaps require a bit more care placing tires.  Lots of washboard and ruts, but only a few places with ruts large enough to possibly be an issue.

I'll post images shortly....maybe try out the gallery.

AntalopeLakeRoseQuartz.gpx

AntelopeLakeRoseQuartz.kmz

route.png

Wow, google really wanted you to see everything! I have been having issue like that with my GPS, but it doesn't seem to know when a road exists and wants me to take some crazy roads.

Wow, google really wanted you to see everything! I have been having issue like that with my GPS, but it doesn't seem to know when a road exists and wants me to take some crazy roads.

My GPS managed fine, one of the reasons I prefer standalone GPS (vs apps or google maps) is that they're built for that purpose and I believe keep up with road information better than most. 

The round about way was worth it at least once for the views.

What kind of GPS are you running? I am running a Garmin, and it seems to be lacking when it comes to dirt roads, but I imagine it's mainly concerned with paved roads.

What kind of GPS are you running? I am running a Garmin, and it seems to be lacking when it comes to dirt roads, but I imagine it's mainly concerned with paved roads.

Garmin Nuvi 52LM..  seems to have a good grasp on forest service roads.. not perfect  but better than google in this particular case.

That fallen boulder in the road would make me nervous.  Looks like you had a very fun and exciting trip,  

Edited by dery