• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

El Polvo

Genealogy Mini trip

My wife and I went on a mini genealogy trip. I am a descendant of some of the first "illegal aliens" in Arizona. The laws back then were a little less lenient than today. Back in those early days the perpetrators were bludgeoned to death. Two of my ancestors were "soldaldo de cuera" or leather jacket soldiers in the Spanish army. The garrison, most of the men under the command of Cptn Rivera and two missions were destroyed. I had to go to the area that it happened even tho I knew nothing remained but a marker. This later became known as "the Yuma massacre" of 1781.

In 1863, a new territory was opened under the United States, (Arizona). During this time mining claims went crazy. A group of Mexicans from Sonora laid claim to a silver lead in the "la Paz mining district" Not far from Quartzsite,AZ. At that time a man named Tyson was digging a well in what is today, Quartzsite. A new crossing and landing was created in a town on the Colorado river named Ehrenberg and a new route was opened where the I-10 is today, (or near it). After researching the claim, and back tracking, I am certain this claim would have been in the canyon of the "Spanish Wall and Stone Cabin" near Quartzsite.

I read that they think the wall may have been used to shelter horses and other livestock. I have not connected the dots enough to determine if my ancestor had anything to do with the Stone cabin or Spanish wall

over at the member gallery are the pics from this trip along with two links, one to an eyewitness account of the Yuma massacre and one to the Quechan (yuma indians) side to the story

Your ancestors were the Spanish?

yeah, sort of, they were mixed, many of them Spanish/Native American as they were listed as "mestizo" or "indio" what is known today as mestizo mexican. They were basically Mexicans under the Spanish flag, mex was still a colony at the time, but were on their own.

Yeah, that is what the Mexican census classifies them as right?

I believe so, I consider myself and dad as "Chicano" because we are of Mex descent, but are American as apple pie. My mother was anglo or Euro-American. I speak english, my dad was bi langual.

These soldiers killed at Yuma were from the presidio Tubac in So.Arizona. The purpose of the settlement was to create a rest spot for the Anza trail to California.

I tried to find the Spanish Wall about 15 years ago but the directions I received were that the wall was just outside of Quartzsite, not down by Stone Cabin. We followed the road as we were told but where the Spanish wall was supposed to be, was a large mining operation, so any trace of the wall would have been destroyed.  But maybe we had bad directions! It looks like you are saying the Spanish Wall is down by Stone Cabin.

58 minutes ago, joycemcc said:

I tried to find the Spanish Wall about 15 years ago but the directions I received were that the wall was just outside of Quartzsite, not down by Stone Cabin. We followed the road as we were told but where the Spanish wall was supposed to be, was a large mining operation, so any trace of the wall would have been destroyed.  But maybe we had bad directions! It looks like you are saying the Spanish Wall is down by Stone Cabin.

Yes, the Spanish wall is actually about a quarter mile towards town from the cabin.