• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

braindead0

Short review of Honda XR650L for exploring use..

On November 9, 2016 at 8:10 AM, braindead0 said:

You'll likely have to go through a lot of research to pick the right one, the market used to be pretty small but now it seems there are several classes from smaller Mule style UTV's to 4 door monsters that might as well be a Jeep Wrangler.

I took a photo recently of a stock Artic Cat 2-passenger UTV parked next to a Jeep XJ series Cherokee. Visually it pretty much matched the Cherokee in width and height and wasn't that much shorter.

25 minutes ago, David A. Wright said:

I took a photo recently of a stock Artic Cat 2-passenger UTV parked next to a Jeep XJ series Cherokee. Visually it pretty much matched the Cherokee in width and height and wasn't that much shorter.

That's what I figured.  There are smaller UTV's, however with all that junk.. I mean 'gear' that Bob hauls  ;-)

Great bike for getting off road. Your mod list looks spot on. May want to consider opening up the exhaust. If you've already mitigated intake restrictions and have jetted accordingly the trifecta is letting her breath out the back. This may not equal much of a gain in HP but tends to deliver a more linear torque through the midrange power band. This is were you spend most of your time on those thumpers! I modded out my KLR this way and the performance was drastically increased. I also re geared and added some Pro Taper ATV mids for more bar height. I ride 99% standing when off rode and this really helped with improving my standing position in relation to the bars. Very jealous of your riding pics!!!!! Not so much of that here in Florida. Here is a pic of my bike when I first got her.

IMG_1059.JPG

The stock exhaust on the XRL is pretty good, most don't get much bang for the buck there and the options are all really loud.  I like being stealthy, and at this point I'm geared down and have gobs of power.. a tiny bit of sluggishness just off idle however it's been in the low 50's out I'm going to wait until warmer days to do any further fine tuning on the jetting.. 

I had a KLR when we were in Ohio, lots of roads much less dirt out there so it made sense... just wish is wasn't so heavy, sinks into mud holes really well.

KLRStuck2.jpg

Haha I feel your pain! I've been in the same situation more than once, all alone, just looking at the mess and thinking how its going to take some serious effort to get this pig out of here! You have a good point about the exhaust, minimal gains wouldn't be worth the increased noise. 

9 minutes ago, Reverence said:

Haha I feel your pain! I've been in the same situation more than once, all alone, just looking at the mess and thinking how its going to take some serious effort to get this pig out of here! You have a good point about the exhaust, minimal gains wouldn't be worth the increased noise. 

KLR is a much different beast, more power from the get go so a 2% performance boost can be noticed.  And the KLR muffler is HUGE and super heavy if I recall.  The XR muffler isn't that bad as far as OEM, it has this odd sound to it when cold and as certain throttle settings but once I'm on the trail I hardly notice.

I was out with a friend and my wife, had my friend manage the throttle/clutch while I stood knee deep in that hole and lifted the rear out of the puddle..   I think I could have got it out by myself, but it would have been a challenge.  I've got a z-rig I'll be carrying with me on the new bike, just in case I have to hoist it outta a ditch or something..... just have to hope I can find something solid to attach to...

The attached image is the tire tread right after that trip, needless to say I put new tires on our bikes ;-)

Tread.jpg

Good call on the Z-rig. I never thought of just rigging one up and stowing it away. It sure wouldn't take up much space depending on the size of you pulleys. In regards to not being able to find a suitable anchor I was thinking about two or three short sections of angle  that you could bolt together on the fly and bury like a tent stake??? I'll be taking my KLR when we travel out west but I've been seriously considering picking up a used WR250R. Most of the riding I'll be doing is day trips and not to much blacktop. I'm just dreaming of cruising around the old mining roads in the rockies.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_28d4.jpg

A land anchor would be good to carry, but I'm not going there.. way too much weight.  I think a lighweight aluminum shovel would be good enough, you can always dig a hole..wrap your line around a largish stick/rock/your boot and bury that to provide an anchor.. 

The line is the bulkiest item I think, I've got 50' of static line, 2 carabiners and 2 petzl ultra legere pulleys.  You could use carabiners as is for pulleys, the petzle bits just make for less friction and don't take up much space..   Some paracord for the prusiks and that's all I'm planning on bringing..... 

I think now I'm off to look for a nice aluminum collapsible shovel ;-).....edit... not much in aluminum.. probably hard to make tough enough.. probably get a gerber gorge or u-dig-it.. 

Once I get this all together and mounted on my bike I'll take a picture..  I'm really trying to travel as light as possible while being prepared for as many bad things as possible....

The WR250 seems like a nice bike...

Finally...  700 miles of off roading and finally a dirt nap!  Now the bikes been down..

I was driving down a loose/sandy/rocky road...saw a shortcut.. didn't look that steep.. until about 8' from the end when the angle increased a LOT.  I made a tactical decision to drop the bike, easier than trying to stop and turn around ;-)

Got her up, turned around and went the other way.. no problem..

SDC11179.JPG

Ouch, that sucks, but at least you didn't get hurt. Must have been a tough decision to drop it, but probably not enough time to really think about it. 

I got me some bruises for sure... it was an easy decision, the other option was going ass over kettle ;-)  If the path wasn't as sloppy as it was, I could have made it with some momentum.. but at that point I was probably moving 3MPH..  You can see in this picture how soft/loose and generally messed up that path was ;-)..

SDC11181.JPG

There were several burnt areas.  Most seemed small and contained, guessing hotspots from another fire.

What's amazing is how fast the desert rebounds, I'm pretty sure these fires were from 1-2 weeks ago and there's lot of green already.

SDC11188.JPG

Its good nature reclaims, seems west coast or west of the rockies are quite vulnerable to fires this year.

Quite dry here, though yesterday got nearly half inch of rain, still dry. Have smoke in the air, not strong, and most times cannot smell it, just tell in the sky its there.

Other than that, take it, bike runs as expected, or...