• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I hope to start a "hot stove" topic...as much as I enjoyed reading about critters elsewhere in this blog, I'm dying of curiosity what people have to say and share about pets~!  The wife is a veterinary technician...so of course "critters are us".  Whereas we've been categorized as a "dinkwa"; double income, no kids, with animals...but in all honesty, for the cost of a bowl full of crunchies, another bowlful of water, it's humbling what we've enjoyed in return...including photos.

bigguy15.jpg

chessie18.jpg

crickett3.jpg

smokey39.jpg

This is Opie, my black lab. He goes where I go. This dog means more to me than I could ever express in words. 

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

This is Jacks, our Beagle.  He's old now - born January 5th, 2004 -and  I don't know how many years he has left with us.  He is such a large part of my life that it almost pains me to think about it.  No, I take that back.  It DOES pain me to think about it.  He responds to his name, as well as "JJ", and sometimes "shithead".  He has trained me well, loves my child, and I regret that my not-born-quite-yet daughter will likely never remember his kind face, gentle countenance, and unrelenting devotion.  He is, in all respects, my best friend - unwavering in loyalty, a determined companion who will stand in the rain with me, protect my family, and who has stolen my complete dinner more than once.  Also, he likes apples and acorns.

IMG_6357.jpg

Camera
iPhone 6 Plus
Focal Length
4.15mm
Aperture
f/2.2
Exposure
1/4s
ISO
IMG_6356.jpg

Camera
iPhone 6 Plus
Focal Length
4.15mm
Aperture
f/2.2
Exposure
1/15s
ISO

IMG_6507.jpg

Hey! Two Opies here!

My wife and I loved our late Otis, also a Lhasa Apso. He died the second week of September, in my wife's arms, of cancer at nine years old. Opie was an impulse replacement by my wife to fill the void. He's now five months old. My wife is now finally bonding with him, but still cries almost daily for Otis.

2 hours ago, David A. Wright said:

Hey! Two Opies here!

My wife and I loved our late Otis, also a Lhasa Apso. He died the second week of September, in my wife's arms, of cancer at nine years old. Opie was an impulse replacement by my wife to fill the void. He's now five months old. My wife is now finally bonding with him, but still cries almost daily for Otis.

My youngest bearded dragon died of skin cancer this spring.  here's her grave(it's the huge carn bottom center of the pic.  

Zoology,History,FamilyandSuchMay6,2016-Nov24,2016_811.JPG

2 hours ago, David A. Wright said:

Hey! Two Opies here!

Hey, about 6/7 yrs ago I had a dog killed by a Mohave rattlesnake and got Opie as a fill in too. I went to look at a yellow lab pup, (Opie's brother) and Opie stuck to my left leg like velcro.  This dog let me know when I was having my heart attack a few yrs back and between him and my nagging wife, I was convinced to go to ER and get checked out. Good thing I did. This dog helps unload the truck when I go get firewood, takes out the trash with me, and brings me my slippers at night, and brings me my hat.  Smartest dang dog I've ever had. 

2 hours ago, dery said:

My female cherry head "VV".  

Zoology,History,FamilyandSuchMay6,2016-Nov24,2016_1685.JPG

Box turtle?  My wife came with a box turtle named 'Mac'.  She decided to give him away just before Emily was born, so now he lives with my boss and his two girls.  Pretty cool critter. 

51 minutes ago, desertdog said:

Box turtle?  My wife came with a box turtle named 'Mac'.  She decided to give him away just before Emily was born, so now he lives with my boss and his two girls.  Pretty cool critter. 

No, Cherry heads are a Caribbean/South American tortoise also known as the red footed tortoise.  Box turtles are harder to keep since they need more space to be healthy.  VV is very smart and loves her head scratched.  She goes running up to anyone she sees with bananas.  She'll eat them out of my hand.  

That's a trip.  Mac was basically a rock.  He had plenty of space, and we'd put him outside (with us watching him) to let him really get around.  He'd just sit there, or run and hide.  Food-wise, we'd give him all sorts of fresh produce and protein.  All he would eat is turtle pellets from the store. 

What a talented dog.  I've never had one that can surf, sup or skateboard with me.  My sister has an unknown mix who serves as the family curr dog when it comes to herping.  Although, he is curious, so I keep distance between him and our finds when I herp with him.  He's a real help flipping the right cover.  

I love it when folks take their herding dogs to the beach on a nice day.  If the dog is off the leash, they inevitably start rounding up small children.  You go from 5000 square feet occupied by a group of little ones, to 50 square feet crowded with the same. 

5 hours ago, desertdog said:

I love it when folks take their herding dogs to the beach on a nice day.  If the dog is off the leash, they inevitably start rounding up small children.  You go from 5000 square feet occupied by a group of little ones, to 50 square feet crowded with the same. 

My family tends to only take our pets, especially stock dogs to beaches when they are not crowded and outside wildlife nesting seasons.  I really like Gulf Islands National Seashore.  It has pristine sand dunes and is never much people.  . 

I can get in trouble with this category, lol. I wish I can take my dogs exploring with us, but only have a sedan. Can't when it's me, hubby and the 2 kids. :-(

Mika - 105 lb Akbash - white dog

Fritz - 95 lb German Shepherd - rescued from shelter

Zeus (orange cat) - cat my husband rescued from work when he was 4 weeks old

Warlock (black long haired cat) - craigslist rescue

Junior (white tabby)- from a cat rescue I fostered for. Pic is of him knocking things off the entertainment center to amuse himself

My son has a Wood Ornate turtle and my daughter just got a lop eared bunny for her birthday (it's ok, because I get free fertilizer for the garden now, lol.

13886322_10208403662962556_1805458391386311790_n.jpg

15095517_10209279512018235_3540308407994855498_n.jpg

1625753_10202631043690682_3245861053204679019_n.jpg

10246571_10202631057891037_2235063339054960103_n.jpg

12065644_10206391818507702_9221321478433038434_n.jpg

13076857_10207633528429674_8810829841516282739_n.jpg

My cat, simply named Mr. Kitty. Why? When we moved into our house 7 years ago he came with it. The previous tenants had abandoned him. It took weeks for me to lure him out of the shrubs in the backyard where he was living. Other neighbors told us that the previous tenant and his mother had abused his children and their pets. We found locks on the OUTSIDE of bedroom doors.

Anyway, Mr. Kitty was so "people shy" that even though we were finally able to lure him into the house we could never get close enough to see if Mr. Kitty was a he or a she. We automatically assumed he was a "she." So, we just named "her" Kitty. Eventually, after about two years there was enough trust where we could get close enough to see that Kitty was actually Mr. Kitty! For the record, he HATES the dog, LOL!

_DSC9707.JPG

6 hours ago, CindyN11 said:

My cat, simply named Mr. Kitty. Why? When we moved into our house 7 years ago he came with it. The previous tenants had abandoned him. It took weeks for me to lure him out of the shrubs in the backyard where he was living. Other neighbors told us that the previous tenant and his mother had abused his children and their pets. We found locks on the OUTSIDE of bedroom doors.

Anyway, Mr. Kitty was so "people shy" that even though we were finally able to lure him into the house we could never get close enough to see if Mr. Kitty was a he or a she. We automatically assumed he was a "she." So, we just named "her" Kitty. Eventually, after about two years there was enough trust where we could get close enough to see that Kitty was actually Mr. Kitty! For the record, he HATES the dog, LOL!

_DSC9707.JPG

Aw, thank you for showing him what good humans can do. It's horrible what they did to their children and pets :-(

Sadie and Butter. I feature them in my webcomic as "military working dog" characters, but --Ha!-- that would imply they had some sort of "discipline". I tend to spoil my pups.

I don't take them with me; they are getting up there in years and would not have the requisite stamina.

Sadie and Butter.jpg

Talking about military behavior, The one on the left looks like a medic and the one on the right looks like an officer if ye ask me.