• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

El Polvo

Critters

19 hours ago, braindead0 said:

While sitting on our 'porch' boondocking near Lovelock... a couple of these little guys came hauling across the ground.  About 1.25" long or so, they really put those legs to use.  One stopped at a clump of grass and seemed to be having a snack.

P4210042.png

Huh.  I saw some of those out in the Coal Canyon area this past weekend.  I let it crawl into my hand and it felt weird.  No idea what it'll turn into. 

The wildflowers were pretty amazing, too.  Hardy little suckers.

Fast little dicken's aren't they ;-).  There was one of these moths hanging around on the ground nearby.  Seemed a bit small for the size of the caterpillar, however maybe because they're in the desert the caterpillar has to be bigger to have enough water/food storage? 

P4210043.png

Kind of looks to be a tent caterpillar. The other day I was out in the hills west of Rye Patch at a gravesite on the Lassen-Applegate trail and saw quite a few of their nests in the brush with lots of caterpillars within the silky nests.

I must say... these are all fabulous pics. Also if anyone needs help identifying a reptile or spider species, feel free to ask. I am an avid herpetologist & arachnologist , and lover of all reptiles and spiders. :thumbsup:

I enjoy reptiles so much, that I have rescued/given a caring home to 7 ball pythons & 2 bearded dragons for friends and wife's coworkers.   Also thought the idea of making an Expolrer's guide on the critters of the state your in using the pics we take is a fabulous idea.

Dor Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix in ANF, Florida.   North American Field Herping Association South East Chapter meeting circa 2014.  

ANT200 4-24-14,ANFNafhaSECouting&Zoology&MontgomeryApr25-27,2014 123.JPG