• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

braindead0

Boot recommendations

The subject has been touched on in various threads here.  Not much follow up.. and considering how important a good foot covering is when exploring....and I'm probably going to be buying a new pair this year. 

My usage is both hiking and motorcycling.  Need at least a modest heel, around 8" height with fairly stiff/tough uppers.  I can also suffer from swamp foot, so something that breathes is nice.

I'm leaning towards these Danner gritstone 8" I don't think they'll breath much though..  i might have to look for something in a mix of materials vs. all leather.  However my current carolina work boots are all leather and seem to keep my feet plenty dry so maybe a quality liner is the key?

Those are better than both of my boots.  The only waterproof pair is not steel toe and the other pair only lasted three years before they got warped.  It's near the point that I can't milk them anymore and have to buy a new pair.  They have size 14.  So my size 13 1/2 clown feet should not be a problem.  

That 'gritstone' model is plain toe.  I'm not against steel toe but not really looking for it either...   I think they have composite and maybe alloy toes as well.. 

A few years ago I bought a pair of Georgia Boot company boots for work. Don't know if they had a particular name for the model. They are very similar to what you describe. They are supremely comfortable and great for outdoor use, including snow and mud. I picked them up at my local Big R Ranch Supply store here in Winnemucca (their base store is Fallon, I believe, with other locations in Winnemucca, Lovelock and Burns, Oregon). I paid about $150 for them.

I have a pair of Georgia boot 15" pole climbers that are about 25 years old... pretty comfy and still going strong.. just not as comfy or dry (swamp foot) as I'd like.. I get out near the Big R at Fallon on occasion.. that might win just because I can actually try them on without the hassle of having to return via mail..

I wear Danner Tanicus boots now, I wore Bates GX-8 boots for 4 years, side zip, not bad. Composite toe on the GX-8 and plain on the Danners. Both are really comfortable. Around town, light hikes I wear low cut Timberland hikers. But I prefer the 8" boots. If you go with the Danners get half a size larger. I wear 10.5 and wear 11 in Danner. 

Thanks for the tip on size.  How are they width wise?  I usually find EE fits best...  I suspect I'll stop by Big R next time we're out and take a look at the current offerings from Georgia...

Folks, this neck of the woods....everybody swears on LL Bean for the best of boots.  My feet have never had the opportunity since I'm no longer on the rr tracks, but if you'll forgive the shameless plug...

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-ll-beans-bean-boot-is-always-sold-out-2016-12

I wore Danners for uniformed duty, still have two pair, one shined and one beat up but saved for out in the sticks, One of my sons is in construction business and swears by Georgia Boot. He started with Red Wing but I believe he told me they are all offshore now. The worst part of new boots was always breaking them in.

12 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Thanks for the tip on size.  How are they width wise?  I usually find EE fits best...  I suspect I'll stop by Big R next time we're out and take a look at the current offerings from Georgia...

Width is spot on. I wear a D width and its good. Its just the length. 

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I wore Danners for uniformed duty, still have two pair, one shined and one beat up but saved for out in the sticks, One of my sons is in construction business and swears by Georgia Boot. He started with Red Wing but I believe he told me they are all offshore now. The worst part of new boots was always breaking them in.

I wear Belleville in uniform. I wish I wore Danner like the jar heads. 

Big R website doesn't list any Georgia boots.. they do show Danner, Justin, Ariat, Carolina and a few others.  I've got a pair of Carolina work boots that have served me well for a long time, don't much care for the tiny speed lace 'hooks' on them though.  Perhaps the stores carry a different selection?

6 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Big R website doesn't list any Georgia boots.. they do show Danner, Justin, Ariat, Carolina and a few others.  I've got a pair of Carolina work boots that have served me well for a long time, don't much care for the tiny speed lace 'hooks' on them though.  Perhaps the stores carry a different selection?

I have no clue. I haven't been to the Big R in about a month, last time I looked at boots there was December and they mainly had Muck boots and slip on work boots. Scheels has a decently large selection. Honestly I haven't bought boots in a store in years, I usually buy them online. 

I think I found the problem, seems the store in Fallon is  'Big R West' http://www.bigrwest.com/, seems to be not the same as http://www.bigronline.com

We're going to swing by on the way to check out a rockhounding today..

I have to disagree about Danner sizing.  A few years ago I bought a set of Hood Winter Light boots.  Length-wise they fit fine, and the toe box was a hair on the snug side until I put some miles on them. 

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new set of Danner Acadias for SAR (IMO their uniform boot requirements are silly, but the Sheriff gets what the Sheriff wants).  Same size as the Hood Winter, but they feel at least 1/2 size too large.  With a heavy wool sock and my cheapo insoles I pirated out of my Irish Setters, they're much better and maybe even more comfortable than my other boots.  The point is that varying styles may have very different fits across the same indicated size.  Thinking I got a mis-marked pair, I went to the local uniform supply and tried on another set - same thing.  But since I tend to wear a heavier sock with boots, and since SAR tends to frown on "sit down, take 5" during searches, you pretty much spend 8+ hours on your feet sometimes, the insoles mitigate that, and the result is a perfect fit. 

The only thing I don't like about the Acadia is that they are not full leather uppers.  But I was willing to trade that for a lighter and more flexible boot, while still having a Gore-Tex liner.  The extra flex helps a lot in some unexpected ways, too.  Halfway down a 50 degree slope, tied off to a loaded Stokes litter that doesn't want to cooperate, a low-advantage up haul, and just a few crags for footholds, the ability to really twist that boot around is helpful.  Plus my feet stay cooler and drier with the partial synthetic upper.  Bonus all the way around. 

I would recommend neither as a hot weather boot, though.  And that's the hitch with any boot - I've never found one that served equally well in hot and cold weather. For hot weather, I have to revert back to my 20 year old Irish Setters, which are just plain leather, soaked in 20 years of animal blood, sweat, Camp's mink oil, and at least a few tears shed over missed shots.  :)  I don't even know if Irish Setter boots are still worth a damn, or even made in the USA.  What I do know is that I plan to be buried in those boots, just in case.

I currently have a pair of Redwing hiking boots. Haven't tried them on the trail yet, but used them during the last snow storm and the waterproofing worked great. I got them through work as I go down to the warehouse every-so-often and they have to be safety-toed and I the picked hiking style. Not sure how the breathability of these would be but my feet didn't sweat or smell.

I like my ankles to be free, I'm weary on wearing them when I'm hiking. All I wore in HS was high tops because I played BBall and it weakened my ankles, so I'm weary on ankle supports...it's a stupid worry of mine and really should have some sort of support while hiking. Hubby and the kids have hiking footwear, I just wear sneakers. Almost cost me a bath in a river once. The sneakers weren't gripping the angled boulder I was on next to the river.

So, if you have to wear safety-toed boots for work...see if you can get out of paying for hiking boots by just getting safety-toed hiking boots ;-)

These are the kind I have: red-wing-boots-6670-men-13-ee-brown-wate

Ended up with a pair of Georgia steel toe waterproof work boots.  The fit well right outta the box, we did a bit of rockhounding, maybe a mile of walking up and down the sides of a small rocky wash.  Good support, deep grippy tread.. and just a tad over $100 seems like a bargain.  Time will tell if they hold up and break in like my old pole climbers.

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions...

Resole-able if you can find someone to do it.  I've never needed to get boots 'rebuilt' so I'm not sure what all you mean by 'rebuildable'.   I know the manufacturer doesn't offer any services of that sort, and at this price point I doubt it would be worthwhile.  Shoe trees needs boots too ;-)

It is amazing the amount of in depth conversation people can have about boots. I guess when we are talking about our feet, it matters, LOL. I remember back when Rocky Boot hit the market, and they were all the rage, I even bought a pair. they were extremely comfortable, but the soles did not last. We still have a real live shoemaker in this town, and he resoled mine with a Vibram waffle-stomper sole and they lasted another couple of years as exploring and working around the house boots.. In the mean time, all the cool guys had started wearing High-Tecs.

I went back to the Danners for work after the Rockys.

I think a lot depends on usage.  If you wear boots every day, it probably makes sense too have a couple pair of really high quality boots that'll last you a lifetime and can be completely 'rebuilt' if necessary.  I work behind a desk, boots are mostly a weekend/vacation thing.. any decent boot usually lasts me 10 years or so.  My other Georgia boots are mostly shot because I ground the toe down to the steel in a motorcycle wreck decades ago... still wear them but not for riding as the cold breeze on one foot thing is unpleasant ;-)

I think the main issue I've had with boots is they change, one year brand X is great..  and then they may have a change in ownership/management and start building crap that will not last a year. 

wife has a new pair of Rocky snake boots she really likes, still breaking them in..but so far so good....

Exploring around here, there is no easy access to anything really. Most of it is hiking. With better support of the feet, my kids don't seem to get as tired. Hubby is getting old and needs the support, plus he's diabetic so he needs to safety of them as well.

11 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Resole-able if you can find someone to do it.  I've never needed to get boots 'rebuilt' so I'm not sure what all you mean by 'rebuildable'.   I know the manufacturer doesn't offer any services of that sort, and at this price point I doubt it would be worthwhile.  Shoe trees needs boots too ;-)

"Rebuildable" meaning most parts can be damaged, the boot taken apart, the damaged part replaced, and the boot re-assembled, at least once.  Many Danners are rebuildable.  Whites are...well...with a pair of Whites, you run into the Ship of Theseus question.  :)  Old Red Wings and Irish Setters are much the same.  That goes beyond just removing and replacing the sole.  On Whites, only the upper quarters can't be replaced AFAIK.  On Danners, it depends on the model just how far the factory can go in rebuilding.  There are other, smaller builders who make their boots so that anything can be replaced.  Some (like Whites) go further, to the point that they can reshape the arch as you age, without making you a whole new set of boots. 

In other words, it's not an engineered-race-to-the-bottom, but an engineered-marathon-through-upkeep.  Not often seen these days in anything, but some folks take the time.  Wildland fire boots are a good example of an engineered-marathon-through-upkeep.  It's my preference to prefer craftsmen and women over pricepoint manufacturing. 

As a semi-related aside, my garage workbench is incredibly overbuilt.  I've had it for...20+ years, and you could set a small automobile on it if you had to.  Had I bought some kit bench, odds are I'd be on my 3rd or 4th by now. 

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

It is amazing the amount of in depth conversation people can have about boots. I guess when we are talking about our feet, it matters, LOL. I remember back when Rocky Boot hit the market, and they were all the rage, I even bought a pair. they were extremely comfortable, but the soles did not last. We still have a real live shoemaker in this town, and he resoled mine with a Vibram waffle-stomper sole and they lasted another couple of years as exploring and working around the house boots.. In the mean time, all the cool guys had started wearing High-Tecs.

I went back to the Danners for work after the Rockys.

Boots matter!  The human foot is a really neat design - built in shock absorbers, dynamic balance control, multi-directional stability on variable terrain, coupled with a limited-slip CPU, fully adjustable and dampened suspension, with a full feedback hydro-dynamic response system.  If your truck had all that, you wouldn't put the cheapest ChinaMart tires on it, would ya?  I know I wouldn't. :)

17 minutes ago, desertdog said:

Boots matter!  The human foot is a really neat design - built in shock absorbers, dynamic balance control, multi-directional stability on variable terrain, coupled with a limited-slip CPU, fully adjustable and dampened suspension, with a full feedback hydro-dynamic response system.  If your truck had all that, you wouldn't put the cheapest ChinaMart tires on it, would ya?  I know I wouldn't. :)

Couldn't agree more. Your feet are a one set per user deal, and a bad pair of boots can leave you miserable. I already have the bionic spine pieces at L4-5 and L5-S1 and would like to keep everything else stock, as it were. For many years I wore them 5 days a week 10 hours a day, under all conditions. It was rare for me, but I listened to the Old Farts, and bought the best I could afford, Danners. I did stray once or twice, but always came back to them.