• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

57butler

Amatol NJ - Ruins and where huge old raceway used to be

We explored Amatol NJ today in the Pine Barrens.
In 1918, they used this area for munition plants during WWI. After only a few years, the dismantled most of the plants. Only a few ruins remain today.
Later, in 1926, they built the speedway. It was the largest speedway on the east coast and was made entirely out of wood. After its short-lived life, they dismantled the racetrack and sold the lumber to other construction projects.

The speedways "footprint" can still be seen today on Google Earth. 3/4's of it is maintained by Wildlife Management Area and is open to the public, the remaining 1/4 is private land and there are no trespassing signs posted.

We found where the racetrack used to be and we found a few ruins. It was a beautiful day today, nice and warm.

DSC04379.JPG

DSC04361.JPG

DSC04365.JPG

DSC04363.JPG

DSC04359.JPG

DSC04352.JPG

DSC04342.JPG

DSC04340.JPG

DSC04339.JPG

DSC04332.JPG

amatol.jpg

speed.jpg

Sweeeeet! My great-great grandfather, Joseph Ford, lived and worked there for a while when it was a munitions factory. he was in his 60's at the time. My mom's people were all over the Pine Barrens, especially in Cumberland & Atlantic Counties.

7 hours ago, CindyN11 said:

Sweeeeet! My great-great grandfather, Joseph Ford, lived and worked there for a while when it was a munitions factory. he was in his 60's at the time. My mom's people were all over the Pine Barrens, especially in Cumberland & Atlantic Counties.

This is in Atlantic County :-) There is also Estelle Manor which isn't too far from this. I think I have an album of that somewhere on this forum. Estelle Manor (Atlantic County) is now a park, but has most of the ruins preserved, not like Amatol.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wood racetracks, Drivers who had courage in droves.

Cool find. I just hate seeing these tho. I did a lot of dirt tracking, and racetracks are too few and far between.

There was a pretty famous one in NJ that shut down about 5 years ago. :-( Well, famous when I was growing up. It lost a lot of business throughout the years. But there are a lot of others at the Poconos (PA) and still in NJ.

Amatol Raceway almost looks like a gym floor:

BoardTrack3.jpg

prewar-racing-379.jpg_1925_laurel_speedway_opening_race_display.jpg

4 hours ago, 57butler said:

This is in Atlantic County :-) There is also Estelle Manor which isn't too far from this. I think I have an album of that somewhere on this forum. Estelle Manor (Atlantic County) is now a park, but has most of the ruins preserved, not like Amatol.

Yes, I know. My mom and dad were both born and raised in Camden, but my ancestry on both sides goes back hundreds of years in South Jersey to the original white settlers, and my great-great grandmother was full Lenni Lenape. Been doing genealogy for 37 years :)

6 hours ago, CindyN11 said:

Yes, I know. My mom and dad were both born and raised in Camden, but my ancestry on both sides goes back hundreds of years in South Jersey to the original white settlers, and my great-great grandmother was full Lenni Lenape. Been doing genealogy for 37 years :)

"Been doing genealogy for 37 years :)" You do have great research skills :-) I grew up in North Jersey :-)
I was able to trace my grandmothers family, she was orphaned at a very young age and I was very surprised when I found her orphanage records, which, the orphanage in White Plains NY burned down and supposedly, all the records with it. The stories she told me about that place :-( horrible. I'm told I have Blackfoot lineage, but still trying to trace that. I'm going to do that DNA thing one of these days. Hubby has Cherokee and Mohawk (with other lineages)...weird though because tribes didn't really mingle. I was able to trace his much further and found his Mohican great x5 or x6 grandmother in Northern NY. That was a cool find, he had doubts. But can't find his Cherokee side...he's thinking it was his mothers side. Again, really common last names, even with my grandfather on my mothers side. All common names, lol. I gave ancestory a try, that's how I found hubby's stuff. Rootsweb helped me too.
But to find that your great great grandma was pure AI, that is an awesome find :-)

I'm not far from Central and South Jersey, just 5 minutes away from the bridge and Camden is only 20 minutes away.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:41 PM, 57butler said:

"Been doing genealogy for 37 years :)" You do have great research skills :-) I grew up in North Jersey :-)
I was able to trace my grandmothers family, she was orphaned at a very young age and I was very surprised when I found her orphanage records, which, the orphanage in White Plains NY burned down and supposedly, all the records with it. The stories she told me about that place :-( horrible. I'm told I have Blackfoot lineage, but still trying to trace that. I'm going to do that DNA thing one of these days. Hubby has Cherokee and Mohawk (with other lineages)...weird though because tribes didn't really mingle. I was able to trace his much further and found his Mohican great x5 or x6 grandmother in Northern NY. That was a cool find, he had doubts. But can't find his Cherokee side...he's thinking it was his mothers side. Again, really common last names, even with my grandfather on my mothers side. All common names, lol. I gave ancestory a try, that's how I found hubby's stuff. Rootsweb helped me too.
But to find that your great great grandma was pure AI, that is an awesome find :-)

I'm not far from Central and South Jersey, just 5 minutes away from the bridge and Camden is only 20 minutes away.

Yeah, most people get confused with these Native tribe mixtures, but they have to start to think out of the box. Generally it isn't a matter that someone from one tribe married a person from another tribe. The connections tend to be through related European ancestors who married a Native. I have Lenni Lenape and Montauk. The Montauk comes in when one of my 6th great-grandfather's, a Dutch settler in New Amsterdam in the 1600's, married a Montauk woman. The Lenni Lenape comes from my mom's maternal side. The Montauk comes from both of my parents, since my mom descends from one son and my dad from another son of the man who married the Montauk woman. Then on my dad's side I have more Lenni Lenape through the mysterious BAREMORE line. Diadema BAREMORE is my 5th great-grandmother.

I am now waiting for the results of my autosomal DNA results. Should have them in at the beginning of May. I did the mtDNA test years ago but that one is not as useful as the autosomal.

For hubby's Cherokee line you need to check all the Rolls. http://www.comanchelodge.com/cherokee-rolls.html . However, if they lived off of the reservation they may not have been registered, and in normal census records could have listed themselves as Native American, white, black or mulatto, depending on the racial geography of where they were living.

Let me know if you ever need help. Who knows, we could be related, LOL! In the meantime, if you haven't tried this site yet, it is completely free and often have MORE than Ancestry or Rootsweb, including copies of original vital records. https://familysearch.org/

On 4/4/2017 at 1:24 AM, Bob said:

Great photos Kathy, looking forward to the video! 

Well, it looks like they'll be no video any time soon :-( I used a camcorder and the memory must have run out and more than half the clips are corrupted (after researching why they weren't readable).
I had my daughter on the dslr as back-up, but it's really shaky :-( Only real thing to do is to go back and re-record. Never had this problem on the dslr :-(

On 4/9/2017 at 2:25 PM, Bob said:

Ouch, I have had that happen to me too Kathy! It was such a disappointment. 

It is indeed.
We're going back today. I'll be on the DSLR and my daughter will be on camcorder back-up. I started editing the clips I had. Only difference will be that the original trip was nice and sunny and today is cloudy...hoping the sun gets through today by the time we get there.

On 4/8/2017 at 7:03 PM, 57butler said:

Well, it looks like they'll be no video any time soon :-( I used a camcorder and the memory must have run out and more than half the clips are corrupted (after researching why they weren't readable).
I had my daughter on the dslr as back-up, but it's really shaky :-( Only real thing to do is to go back and re-record. Never had this problem on the dslr :-(

That sucks, another time.

Can anyone give me a good idea of where to start to find the ammunitions storage ruins? I have been parking by avenue A by the baseball fields off of Elmwood ave but no such luck... Should I go down Amatol Rd??? Any help would be beneficial I have a research essay do on this.

Thankyou.