• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harley Kuehl

Palouse River and Falls Washington

Another fabulous secret of Washington State is the Palouse river and Palouse Falls respectfully.  Having been a resident of Whitman County, the river has seen my shadow for decades, and hope to cast my shadow many more times.  Oddly enough, out of the 167 miles of river, there's a LOT of miles that's inaccessible as it meanders from Idaho thru Eastern Washington, before draining into the Snake River at Lyons Ferry.  One of the famous goodies of the river is that the Great Northern Railroad (and if memory serves right, the road name before that was the Spokane & Inland Empire...) had a covered bridge over the Palouse west of Colfax Washington... I believe the bridge still stands, however the railroad line was abandoned decades ago.  One odd fact is that the river flows northwest to escape that Colfax area until it reaches the Endicott/St John road, then it's more of a westerly motion.  Only when it reaches above Winona does it finally "behave normal" and shoots more south.  About five miles as the crow flies from draining into the Snake is Palouse Falls.  It's a 198 feet drop for the river...but the canyon it continues to flow thru is equally fascinating.   

221.jpg

79.jpg