• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

braindead0

So what is this thing? - SOLVED - Rain/Snow Gauge with wind deflectors.

So someone goes out there regularly and measures it?  I didn't see any electronics, or power.  The drain pipe and shape made me suspect rain gauge, but I'd think evaporation in the desert would play havoc on any readings?

I've never seen one all alone.  Usually there has been a solar panel and a small telemetry package+yagi nearby (20-40 feet or so).  That one baffles me.

There appears to be a guzzler near here: 40.26126,-118.7643305, so they may just use it to compare guzzler contents with gauge contents.  There is also something else there, that looks like it may be solar panels, or just tin roofing.  Hard to tell.

The square roof appeared to be a guzzler, noticed that on the my out.  Didn't wander to the east where the unknown object is at, perhaps it's solar and they're monitoring both.  I didn't see any signs of wires going into the rain gauge, if there's any sensor it would have to run through the pole and into the metal cone directly.  There was not sign of trenching for wiring, and it looked fairly newish to me.

it looks almost new, I walked around looking for closely for any indication of manufacture or the like.. nothing.  The link @CindyN11 provided had an image that looked similar enough.  Maybe the mining operation monitors is on a regular basis.

I remembered posting a similar "what is it" thread on another forum, went there and here is the photo I posted.  This is found a few miles from the ghost town of Rochester in the Humboldt Range of Pershing County, Nevada.

2015-06-12_limerick-basin-what-is-it.jpg.fdde9506be3aa791875d5761865726dc.jpg

Looks like it is a newer style system that the whole top system is replaceable and the top looks brand new. Gauge gets damaged instead of trying to do the repairs out in the field they just bolt a new one on and take the old one? I'm guessing you happened upon during a service time or upgrade and the electronics just were not there yet. 

The other tin square to the North is a small game guzzler. That is the style and size that NV often uses and you can tell it is not a full structure because the shadow profile is not that tall. In all the different small game guzzlers I have seen in NV and CA I have never once seen one that is electronically monitored or measured. The small game guzzlers are installed in groups or as "bridge" sources between other natural sources. They just would not be that important idividually to monitor electronically. A big game guzzler for sheep I could see maybe being monitored that way. 

The stuff in the gully could just be trash or an old guzzler and when they replaced they located it higher up where it would be easier to install and service.