• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU CREW

Going To Be Moving To A Fresh Server

After the last debacle, at least we were able to recover some of the information we lost. We are about to move to a brand new server that has far more space and is far more powerful. In addition, we will be getting more data security to protect our posted data in case of a server crash or mistake like I made. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, wimc said:

Well, good luck.

LOL, we'll need it after the last few days eh? At least we got back about 90% of the content, maybe even more since almost all my posts are back. 

• Like 1

And now I am back to my old login.  This is starting to feel like 50 First Dates.

• Haha 1
  • Surprise 1

Liked the fact before logging in, last visit was early 2017. Older content is interesting to look back on.

Hope the move is painless.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wimc said:

Liked the fact before logging in, last visit was early 2017. Older content is interesting to look back on.

Hope the move is painless.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, it's pretty interesting looking over all the old posts. 

15 minutes ago, EWU CREW said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, it's pretty interesting looking over all the old posts. 

Perhaps Bob has been spending too much time at Area 51 and we are just time traveling with him.  Slowly back away from your keyboard...

" There is nothing wrong with the forum. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. Bob is controlling the transmission. If Bob wishes to make it louder, he will bring up the volume. If Bob wishes to make it softer, he will tune it to a whisper. Bob will control the horizontal. Bob will control the vertical. Bob can roll the image, make it flutter. Bob can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, several days, weeks, months or years, sit quietly and Bob will control all that you see and hear. There is nothing wrong with the forum. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits of Bob’s Updated Forum!"

• Haha 3

And, also nice not reading posts as if someone wasn't there, before the debacle, content from the last few or so years. alot of your missing posts.

If you know what I mean.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DesertFog said:

Perhaps Bob has been spending too much time at Area 51 and we are just time traveling with him.  Slowly back away from your keyboard...

" There is nothing wrong with the forum. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. Bob is controlling the transmission. If Bob wishes to make it louder, he will bring up the volume. If Bob wishes to make it softer, he will tune it to a whisper. Bob will control the horizontal. Bob will control the vertical. Bob can roll the image, make it flutter. Bob can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, several days, weeks, months or years, sit quietly and Bob will control all that you see and hear. There is nothing wrong with the forum. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits and Bob’s Updated Forum!"

Haha, I was thinking of swinging by Area 51 if we went down south, but after looking at weather patterns, it's freaking raining everywhere! I am sure the Camo Dudes miss us out there, they are probably so bored! 🤣

3 minutes ago, wimc said:

And, also nice not reading posts as if someone wasn't there, before the debacle, content from the last few or so years. alot of your missing posts.

If you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, most of the discussions were missing a lot of posts and it's nice to have them all back now. Also taking a more proactive path with having continual backups, there times the server space, and a far faster processor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, lost a lot but... well, I did say something about a "clean slate"..! 🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, coyote said:

Wow, lost a lot but... well, I did say something about a "clean slate"..! 🤣

Yeah, but I think we gained more than we lost in the end. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DesertFog said:

" There is nothing wrong with the forum. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. Bob is controlling the transmission. If Bob wishes to make it louder, he will bring up the volume. If Bob wishes to make it softer, he will tune it to a whisper. Bob will control the horizontal. Bob will control the vertical. Bob can roll the image, make it flutter. Bob can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, several days, weeks, months or years, sit quietly and Bob will control all that you see and hear. There is nothing wrong with the forum. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits of Bob’s Updated Forum!"

Maybe we ought to chip in for a new set of curtains for Bob to hide behind ... 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, El Polvo said:

Whoa what the hey? A new server? 

Fancy seeing you here! Nice to see you back! Hope you're all doing good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EWU CREW said:

Fancy seeing you here! Nice to see you back! Hope you're all doing good. 

We are all good. We got limited data crap. (Oh no but they dont FAP anymore.) 

We will be starting a server move today, should be complete in about 24 to 48 hours and most will probably not notice any downtime (I hope!). 

• Thanks 1

Do you have SSH access to the hosting system?  If so it's pretty trivial to automate backups.  I have infrastructure here as well as free access to MS Azure (backups encrypted locally before pushing to the cloud of course).  If you encrypt a DB dump on the serer side I wouldn't need access to anything sensitive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sorry for the delay, I was using the new IP to access the new server and it seems they are having some trouble getting the site configuration correct. 

Thanks Brenden, the new server is supposed to have continuous backup, but had I known before, I probably would have went that route and avoided the new server move. Hopefully they can get it all sorted out soon so we can get back to business. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EWU CREW said:

Sorry for the delay, I was using the new IP to access the new server and it seems they are having some trouble getting the site configuration correct. 

Thanks Brenden, the new server is supposed to have continuous backup, but had I known before, I probably would have went that route and avoided the new server move. Hopefully they can get it all sorted out soon so we can get back to business. 

Just remember that a backup never restored/tested... is not really a backup.  My hosting provider claims to backup as well, I don't rely on it at all.  If any of my sites go down I can restore them quickly and host them anywhere without involving my current hosting provider. 

• Like 2

I am currently installing an xenforo test forum with all our data on it so everyone can see if they like it or this better. The Xenforo seems to be a much smoother platform, but it won't have a gallery, clubs, etc, but from what I can tell, those or things people rarely use. I will post a link once the conversion is done so you all can test it out and see if you like it. 

• Like 1

Xenforo, never used it or a member of forum that uses it, interesting to see that.

• Like 1

Currently converting all the forums, members, etc. so we can see which you guys prefer. Personally, I think Xenforo is pretty nice, but it does lack some features such as clubs, gallery, but honestly, I don't see those features getting much use here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

I've used xenforo in the past, should suit our needs fine...  I'll give it a thrashing when it's ready...

Which software do you prefer, IPB or Xenforo? 

• Like 1