• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

57butler

Environmental Issue Photos

Sometimes on our explorations, we run into something that is an environmental issue. Around here, a lot of the issues involve iron contamination.
It's sad to see the human impact that is hidden from the public, but these are issues.

It's almost abstract...

IronContaiminated.jpg

11 hours ago, desertdog said:

How is iron an environmental issue? 

When an area is mined for iron (usually below the surface or into a mountain and tunnels are exposed) near a water source, it seeps into the river and creates an issue.
Original picture, this is man-made and a major river is not too far from this. I have a video of some sort of filtration machine that near this. It appears they are trying to clean it up.

20160713_33.JPG

Here's what I don't get.

You drive 2 tons of steel, wearing items made out of, or through the use of, steel, to some location and have an Emotional Moment about the natural and likely consequences of mining the iron used in that steel.

I am perplexed. 

14 minutes ago, desertdog said:

Here's what I don't get.

You drive 2 tons of steel, wearing items made out of, or through the use of, steel, to some location and have an Emotional Moment about the natural and likely consequences of mining the iron used in that steel.

I am perplexed. 

This was left over from the early 1900's mining operations and is near a major waterway.
Near major waterways like this is not good.

I use gas too, but you're saying I shouldn't be upset about oil spills, fracking or pipeline leaks? We look to build things for a profit and don't look at the environmental impact. Environmentally friendly is currently not cost effective...but it's getting there.

But if we shrug it off and not complain, businesses will say, oh, let's go the cheapest we can, f*** the environment. It's because of people complaining and continuing having the need to keep up with the current society, that progress is being made for more environmentally friendly business practices and products.

Contaminated water flowing from abandoned mines occure here in the West as well. I've seen several old ghost town mine adits with water flowing from the tunnel mouths flowing reddish and orange. A 1930s and 1940s copper mining town called Rio Tinto in northern Nevada was a Superfund site (as of 2001, don't know current status). Water flowing down Rio Tinto Creek flows bright orange.

22 hours ago, 57butler said:

This was left over from the early 1900's mining operations and is near a major waterway.
Near major waterways like this is not good.

I use gas too, but you're saying I shouldn't be upset about oil spills, fracking or pipeline leaks? We look to build things for a profit and don't look at the environmental impact. Environmentally friendly is currently not cost effective...but it's getting there.

But if we shrug it off and not complain, businesses will say, oh, let's go the cheapest we can, f*** the environment. It's because of people complaining and continuing having the need to keep up with the current society, that progress is being made for more environmentally friendly business practices and products.

Yeah, I think I am saying you shouldn't be upset about oil spills, pipeline leaks, or fracking (which has gone on in various forms for nearly half a century).  Those are the natural and likely consequences of human industry, regardless of the precautions taken.  Measures are available to reduce the chances of such things, but when you involve humans in any endeavor, there will be an imperfect record. 

The public is too stupid, too uneducated, and too wrapped up in the world of "popular" entertainment to have even the most basic grasp of the complexities of most things around them, the same things which make daily life and our standard of living (nationally and globally) generally possible.  Therefore, by eating up what the mainstream media passes off as 'news', they somehow expect complex systems to function perfectly all the time, and then abhor leaks, spills, releases, or other forms of contamination.

The truth is pretty far from the accepted 'understanding'.  A single oil refinery is a complex machine, with a multitude of industrial controls, human-drafted policies and procedures, and layers of government/political oversight, interference, and direction.  Yet refineries in compliance with all the policies and laws, and with state-of-the-art controls, still experience accidents.  While we can continue to try and do better, to come up with ever-more creative and useful methods to avoid accidents, the expectation that technology will save us from all accidents is unfounded.  So to be sad/upset/angry about that is really unproductive and not helpful.

What is helpful is understanding problems and applying novel, practical solutions to those problems.  But then government tends to get in the way of that. 

As far as blaming business, that's old hat.  It doesn't wash.

I don't want to "one-up" the situation, but Hanford Nuclear in Washington State...well, I'm a "downwinder" since 1957...and certainly there's a few of us old enough to remember the crazy tests that took place in NM in the 50's and 60's maybe?  We've been suspicious about the tanks leaking for decades...leaching right into the Columbia River.  If anybody has cast an eye on the project that took place on the Hudson River the last few years from the pollution that General Electric contributed to, this pales in contrast to the polluted silt behind the dams on the Columbia. 

Nuke waste is problematic, too.  But it's another topic where the media acts like a bunch of dimwits, and the public lacks the basic education to understand *anything* about radiation, radioactive decay, and the impacts on the body. 

Case in point - the media will crow for hours about uranium isotopes with their half-lives of anywhere from 4.5 billion years, to 700 million years.  They scream about the radiation danger and how we're all going to have 3-headed babies, etc.  Yet uranium is arguably more toxic as a heavy metal.  But if you start talking about decay modes, helium, alpha particles, and ionizing radiation, the media no longer wants any part of it.  They can't sell facts and information - they can only sell hype and fear. 

The same nonsense is ongoing with the whole Fukishima thing.  Apparently, the whole of the Pacific Ocean should have been a glowing, toxic, radioactive stew 5 years ago, then 4, then 3....wait...it still isn't.  Does bioaccumulation of radioactive isotopes exist?  Absolutely.  Do 'half-life', 'background', and 'cumulative dosing' mean anything to the media?  Of course not!  Don't confuse the issue with facts and that science-y stuff!!!  MATH IS HARD!!

It's tough living in a world where the idiots are in charge. 

I was raised here in Simi Valley, from the age of 4 years old. We have lived under the shadow of the worst nuclear disaster in U.S. history. I currently live in Simi and have lived near the foot of the hills where this happened.

The thing is, everyone wants their modern technologies and conveniences, and to have these things manufacturing companies need things like oil, gas and chemicals to produce these items. Cars, trucks, airplanes, trains, cause "minor" oil spills every day. Its the cost of wanting quick transportation.

2 hours ago, CindyN11 said:

The thing is, everyone wants their modern technologies and conveniences, and to have these things manufacturing companies need things like oil, gas and chemicals to produce these items. Cars, trucks, airplanes, trains, cause "minor" oil spills every day. Its the cost of wanting quick transportation.

I understand but I do see progress being made in some areas.
I have worked for a major wind turbine manufacturer for 11 years now. I see the oil consumptions, construction of farms, maintenance's, transportation to get the parts there (especially the nacelle and blades), but at least it's starting to go in the right direction. The older the wind farm, the more oil it uses. But, we're talking 55 gallon drums, not totes, which is good.
I'm starting to see lakes turn blue.
Smog isn't an issue like it was in the 70's and 80's.
We want cheap gas, but don't want pipelines or fracking. It's all, I want my cake and eat it too, kind of a deal. I just believe there has to be better ways to accommodate our current technologies.
I didn't know about the Simi Valley incident :-(

Here's an ironic pic(a Styrofoam gravestone in a floodplain I frequent that is known to many locals as quite polluted.  ):

Zoology,history&SuchJan8-16,20017 003.JPG

13 minutes ago, 57butler said:

.I didn't know about the Simi Valley incident :-(

Me neither.  However Hollywood and Burbank's smog problem is well renowned.  Just listen to The Bob Rivers Show Twisted Tune called "Johnny Was Good".  

15 hours ago, dery said:

Me neither.  However Hollywood and Burbank's smog problem is well renowned.  Just listen to The Bob Rivers Show Twisted Tune called "Johnny Was Good".  

Hollywood, Burbank, pretty much anywhere in that hell hole known as Los Angeles County. I can understand people wanting a clean, safe environment, but when it comes to holding back water reserves from millions of people for the sake of a small handful of endangered fish, it is going over the top. Scoop the fish up, put them in a professional aquarium, and safely re-populate them there. We have seen fields lying fallow and the costs of food going up because of a lack of sufficient water for the farmers and ranchers. Some have had to close down ranches and farms that have been running in their families for well over a hundred years. The state of California has some of the most idiotic and dangerous policies in the USA.