• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anything of interest and easy to get to besides Rhyolite between Kingman AZ and Reno NV? Got a little bit of time to burn on the way home from AZ on US-95.

How much time and what are you looking for?  Interested in rock hounding at all?  Most of the locations I have are rock hounding related..

taking 95 all the way to 80 then to Reno?  Or swinging over earlier than that?

I might have some places worth checking out, but not sure what things you want to see (mines, ghost towns, buildings, etc.). Once you reply to Brenden I will have more of an idea of what to look for. I haven't been to any of these places yet, so I won't be able to give you any information about safety, roads, etc. 

52 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

How much time and what are you looking for?  Interested in rock hounding at all?  Most of the locations I have are rock hounding related..

taking 95 all the way to 80 then to Reno?  Or swinging over earlier than that?

Abandoned places like buildings or old mine sites, maybe have 4 hours each day to waste on the way.   Yeah, up 95 then on to 80 to head back into California.  I'm going to be camping 1 night out near Beatty but by the looks of things, I'll be getting there the heat of the day lol so I'm in no rush. The next day I'll probably be up really early, get stuff done in Rhyolite then head north. Going to be stopping at Hoover Dam for a little bit for some pictures too.  My dad was photographed sitting on one of the stone walls there Arizona side 50 years ago and I'm going to try and recreate that shot.  If you don't want the sites public, just shoot me a private message.

There looks to be a cool abandoned mine right next to Rhyolite. I will message you a few ideas, but be careful as I have not had the chance to check these out. Sounds like a cool photo idea, I hope you post both of them if you're comfortable doing so. Sounds like a fun trip. 

No worries Bob, not going to take any risks in the truck I'm driving. Not nearly as capable as my Toyota but it is a 4x4. Yes, I'll be sharing some trip photos and video after I return :)  

Hoover Dam was a bust, no firearms allowed lol.  Guess I should have read up a bit more. The security check had it posted, got up there and let them know, they were about to check my capped truck bed anyway. Turned around and continued on my way. Next trip I'll leave the fun stuff behind.

Just west of Beatty, take the old Las Vegas & Tonpah Railroad grade into Rhyolite for a simple and fun look at history. Topo maps or Google Maps in satellite view mode will make the route obvious where it leaves the highway heading to Death Valley at Dorris Montgomery Summit. It's an easy drive and will bring you into Rhyolite adjacent to the old railroad depot.

I'm actually back from the trip now and did drive along that old railroad grade :)  Tried to get some GoPro video but only got 2 minutes before the battery died, forgot to charge it after taking some time lapse sequences.  Starting to edit stuff from the trip today.