• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I have enjoyed visiting and camping at Grantsville. I first visited around 1984, last in 2006. I have a three part video of my 2006 trip to the area already edited, but not yet rendered and saved for posting here. Me and a friend camped there during Memorial Day weekend and it was snowing on us. I should get it rendered and online.

1 hour ago, David A. Wright said:

I have enjoyed visiting and camping at Grantsville. I first visited around 1984, last in 2006. I have a three part video of my 2006 already edited, but not yet rendered and saved for posting here. Me and a friend camped there during Memorial Day weekend and it was snowing on us. I should get it rendered and online.

I was there last saturday, its changed a little, the brick and wood building in front of the mill has collapsed and the old bulldozer is gone.

The brick and wood building, you speak of, are you referring to a building at the millsite? Or the one farther east?

The one east of the mill, closest to the central townsite is where we camped. We slept in our seperate trucks, parked on opposite sides of the building. We used the wooden annex to the brick structure to cook and eat in since its roof was intact. I have a photo of that building from my first trip. It was more intact, and there were two more wooden cabins in a row farther east, both gone in 2006.

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

The brick and wood building, you speak of, are you referring to a building at the millsite? Or the one farther east?

The one east of the mill, closest to the central townsite is where we camped. We slept in our seperate trucks, parked on opposite sides of the building. We used the wooden annex to the brick structure to cook and eat in since its roof was intact. I have a photo of that building from my first trip. It was more intact, and there were two more wooden cabins in a row farther east, both gone in 2006.

the building at the millsite.

Ok, your latest post answered my question. The building I camped at in 2006 is still standing. It does look like more bricks are missing. I'll comapre with my 2006 photos at home and maybe share my 2006 and 1984 photos here another day.

I have enjoyed visiting and camping at Grantsville. I first visited around 1984, last in 2006. I have a three part video of my 2006 trip to the area already edited, but not yet rendered and saved for posting here. Me and a friend camped there during Memorial Day weekend and it was snowing on us. I should get it rendered and online.

I cant wait for more of your videos.

21 hours ago, NevadaGeigle said:

It looks like im going to be exploring the White Pine Mining District in a few weeks, have you explored that area before David?

No.  It's always been on my list, but I've never travelled US50 between Eureka and Ely.  Since modern strip mining has visited the region since the 1980s, that kind of ruined it for me.  From the contrast in pictures I recall seeing of the region before 1980 and today, it kind has put a visit to the area lower on my priority list.

21 hours ago, NevadaGeigle said:

I cant wait for more of your videos.

Yeah, I've been waiting to render all three videos and put them online at once, instead of one at a time like I've done in the past.  To render each video in Windows Media format, using Adobe video editing software, it takes around 12 hours to render and save a 35-45 minute video.  One of these is over 50 minutes, which takes a few hours longer to render.  What stalls me is that it's very frustrating to get very near the end of the process, then have my computer overheat and shut down instantly, loosing everything.  It's only happened twice with all the videos I've put up here, but it's a deterrent ...

Comparing Chris' photo of this building at Grantsville, it's an interesting study in the deterioration in 33 years.  Note two standing cabins at right, no longer there.

grantsville-nv_1984.thumb.jpg.16c22f1fb10d5db6cf44d6067a46d28f.jpg

grantsville-nv_2006a.thumb.jpg.d9aeccaddb9422ced438c7dd035ed9e4.jpg

22 hours ago, NevadaGeigle said:

...  and the old bulldozer is gone.

grantsville-nv_2006b.thumb.jpg.c2d14f7abd2692261a0ad824f3886d19.jpg

Yes, In my old, worn out original copy of Paher's Nevada ghost towns book, I annotated the historical photo that I found it in "bad shape". I made a quick attempt to find it, not having any topo map of the area. It is shown on the topo, which I found some years later after I purchses the Nevada set of National Geographic TOPO! software. Turns out I believe my friend and I drove right by it, before we turned around after we drove a mile or so from our camp at the cabin. You'll see our quick effort on the video when I get it up. After our attempt, we drove over Grantsville Summit and into Reese River Valley. Then we drove north and had breakfast in Austin.