• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MB64

Another visit to Rhyolite

Visted last year but missed seeing a few things. Now being there again, I keep seeing more and more things to look at for next time lol. This video is of the area I camped in and bits of Rhyolite. Was really fun camping there and will probably do it again.

That was an excellent video, really liked it alot.

As I do most videos, only way for me to see what you see.

Thanks! Wish I had spent even more time there walking around but had to get on the road, maybe next year. I got to look at some things I missed my first visit and that was really the main thing. 

19 minutes ago, wimc said:

Sure looked like the site has lots to see.

It really does, could easily be there almost all day just looking at everything. I rushed through it this trip but will take my time next time. First time I spent about 2-3 hours taking photos, this was about 1.5 hours doing mostly video. Need to find a better way to see the screen in bright light too, most of that was done blind.

Could spend all day there also, even stand in some areas and wonder (or day dream) what it was actually like.

Hope you are able to go back someday and get more videos.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, MB64 said:

Thanks! Wish I had spent even more time there walking around but had to get on the road, maybe next year. I got to look at some things I missed my first visit and that was really the main thing. 

Next time you come up this way, let me know and we can meet up and find some places to explore. 

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Next time you come up this way, let me know and we can meet up and find some places to explore. 

Sounds like a plan, might be October before I get out that way again. Your latest tunnel/mine video, that is looking awesome. Must have been nice to get out of the heat too.

From the wiki page, really short lived place...

Rhyolite declined almost as rapidly as it rose. After the richest ore was exhausted, production fell. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake and the financial panic of 1907 made it more difficult to raise development capital. In 1908, investors in the Montgomery Shoshone Mine, concerned that it was overvalued, ordered an independent study. When the study's findings proved unfavorable, the company's stock value crashed, further restricting funding. By the end of 1910, the mine was operating at a loss, and it closed in 1911. By this time, many out-of-work miners had moved elsewhere, and Rhyolite's population dropped well below 1,000. By 1920, it was close to zero.