• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LexandNeek

First time posters, longtime abandoned explorers!

Hi, this is Lex and Neek.  We're a married couple from southern California and we're happy to find and join this forum!  We have a youtube channel where we have been sharing our adventures for a little over a year now, but we've enjoyed exploring abandoned places together for well over a decade now.  Whether it's something local or something we see on a road trip, we love the adventure of exploring an abandoned place. We particularly are fascinated with discovering the history of these places, whether it's from information provided at the site or researching online. But sometimes we can't find the history, so we are left with a mystery.

That is precisely what happened during our recent drive through "The Loneliest Road in America," Highway 50 in Nevada. Between Ely and Eureka, there is an abandoned cabin that remains a complete mystery and fills our imaginations with wonder. Could this cabin be a genuine relic of the Old West? Could it be from the 20s or 30s, either a bootlegger’s hideout, an old miner, sheepherder or a Great Depression crash pad? Or maybe the construction is from a more recent era, perhaps by hippies attempting to live off the land?

If anyone has any answers to this mystery, let us know!

If you have the GPS coordinates, load up google earth (or your favourite mapping software) and import Nevada USGS Features and Mines in Nevada .kml files from here: http://offroadinghome.com/nevada/nevada.htm

Those two files will put a lot of waypoints on your map, mines and 'features'.  Here's a section of 50 between Austin and Ely (from Basecamp), you can see that there's a whole lot there.  Find your cabin location and see if there's anything nearby..

image.thumb.png.9bde22ced7ddf718fffeac7adaec5ffc.png

On 10/31/2017 at 2:08 PM, braindead0 said:

If you have the GPS coordinates, load up google earth (or your favourite mapping software) and import Nevada USGS Features and Mines in Nevada .kml files from here: http://offroadinghome.com/nevada/nevada.htm

Those two files will put a lot of waypoints on your map, mines and 'features'.  Here's a section of 50 between Austin and Ely (from Basecamp), you can see that there's a whole lot there.  Find your cabin location and see if there's anything nearby..

image.thumb.png.9bde22ced7ddf718fffeac7adaec5ffc.png

Thanks for that link.  Unfortunately, we don't have the GPS coordinates.  We were driving a rental car that didn't have a GPS system.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By LexandNeek
      Our first stop in Austin, Nevada was in front of the Lander County Courthouse built in 1869. This is one of 11 sites in Austin on the National Register of Historic Places including the curious abandoned Stokes Castle built in 1897.

• By coyote
      Well, it took me long enough, but I finally got my YouTube channel started. Here it is:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSoQgzBtc-ImZmopTEIsLsA?view_as=public
      I'm there as "Random Coyote" and my general intent is to do Idaho specific exploration but with the occasional "outside" travel feature. Right at the moment I only have one video, though; a short flight I took on a 1929 Ford Tri-Motor that came by the Nampa airport last year. I posted it mostly as an experiment (what is it like to post a video I made myself?) and to get at least one thing up for viewing.
      Ironically, I would have up to three or four more videos posted except that YouTube pulled the plug on their in-house video editor. I am trying to find a good new program that isn't too expensive. I trued downloading an "open source" video editor but ended up in a 30-minute battle with malware (vanquished thanks to "Malwarebytes"). I will probably purchase CyberLink PowerDirector 15 since that seems to get the best overall reviews for my experience level (ie, ambitious rank amateur).
      Just so you know I've been looking at a lot of videos from folks here on the forum to get an idea of what I think "works" for me and what I am not interested in. I've seen some Desert Dog and Area 51 Rider (for example) but I especially like "Explore With Us". I also see what other explorers are doing that are unaffiliated here, such as "RnK All Day" (they operate mostly in the East Coast of the USA) just to get variety.
      Anyhow, I have an actual "cabin in the forest" video mostly ready and a couple others, so hopefully I can get started walking the walk and not just talking the talk. Looking forward to seeing more vids from everyone.

• By Urban|Haunted-Explorations
      Exploring a once popular restaurant in San Antonio, TX. This used to be the "hangout" for when sporting games use to happen, such as Basketball games, Baseball, volleyball, etc. Also, there is a volleyball courtyard! It would mean alot if you subscribed to us to support our explorations. Thanks.
      Our Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrNqMXvNR5nRn2Q45Dh3FzA
      Subscribe to us from Texas, it would mean alot to us for your support!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umANxJmDt6Y
      Any comments and feedback are more than welcomed. Thank you for reading!
    • By Caleb
      I am searching for some cool abandoned places! I leave Las Vegas on September 5th so wanting to visit some old abandoned buildings, towns, vehicles, any military stuff, etc.  I drive a Jeep that is somewhat built so looking for something way far out untouched by vandals and scum of the earth. I've found a few places listed and unlisted through aerial views but want some new stuff to explore.  Thank you in advance for any information.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online