• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

A couple months ago here in northern Nevada an ammo company was looking for a place to shoot out to 2.5 miles, my friend (used to be sponsored by them) I showed them an area out off the 95N just south of the I-80. They seemed like good folks at first so I spent a couple days with them in our beautiful desert shooting. We all left the first time, no trash cleaned up, then afterwards they came out again, didn' invite me, ok fine no big deal, they put out a video of them doing a 2,500 yard shot in my spot a couple months later. Yesterday I went out with a friend to shoot long range out there, we set up our targets, go to the shooting position at the mine entrances. There is an old collapsed house up there I start walking around and find a grill they left, then I find about 20 foam ear plugs, bags of trash, soda cans, and wood and soda cams tossed into a hole about 7 foot deep, I called them out about it and they are saying I staged it! Ha, yeah ok. Can't trust folks one bit. I am mad at myself for showing them this area. I cleaned it all up and threw it away for em. 

20180107_124509.jpg

20180106_170039.png

These bozos would be the first to scream first ammendment rights if the area was closed to shooting or if gun laws became stricter. :25stompstompmad: It is people like them that only add fuel to the anti gun fight.

I am happy to hear that company higher ups will take action. They ought to demote these guys to brass and trash pickup detail at public lands and reduce their pay to minimum wage. The company could use that in good will advertising and maybe help change public perception while getting a tax break.

Good on you for being responsible and taking the initiative for taking action for their irresonsibility. :thumbsup:

I spend a lot of time with competitive long range shooters, all of them slowly pulling me into their trade.  They are all professionals, disciplined, dedicated, and they're not shooting gongs at 1.5 miles.  They're shooting bulls and 10's at that distance, sub MOA, and never satisfied.  It's a beautiful thing.

From what you've said, and what I've seen in their YT feed, these guys are the kind of people I stay away from.  You know, the "Buh...do you even 'AR', Bro?  Bro??  BRO!!?  AR!! DO YOU OR DON'T YOU?  <insert grunt here>"  They're a superset of the same morons that "long range hunt" - taking 800 yard pokes at elk and mule deer, and wounding - but rarely killing - the poor bastards.  I am convinced there is an extra-special place in Hell for them.

Hopefully they learn a lesson.....   There are asshats in every group, often they will never learn..  sometimes they do.  Hopefully this will be the latter case.

Did the video they posted have location references?  Hopefully they didn't just give everyone the location.

1 hour ago, braindead0 said:

Hopefully they learn a lesson.....   There are asshats in every group, often they will never learn..  sometimes they do.  Hopefully this will be the latter case.

Did the video they posted have location references?  Hopefully they didn't just give everyone the location.

No thankfully it didn't have any location references. They just said they were in Fallon. 

AR bro comments from @desertdog reminded me...  Years ago I was doing a lot of competitive shooting, seemed everyone brought .223 AR's to 3-gun matches... not me... .308 FAL with an 18" barrel.. that's my close quarters firearm of choice.  They'd have stages setup where you have to engage targets at close range, the muzzle blast often shredded the cardboard IDPA targets..... hilarious stuff.  Had one I was supposed to put 2 in, first shot tore the target in half and both parts fell on the ground, so I put one more in each half causing them to launch 10' further down range.  Needless to say, I always shot last ;-)

do you FAL bro? ;-)

On 1/16/2018 at 8:48 AM, braindead0 said:

AR bro comments from @desertdog reminded me...  Years ago I was doing a lot of competitive shooting, seemed everyone brought .223 AR's to 3-gun matches... not me... .308 FAL with an 18" barrel.. that's my close quarters firearm of choice.  They'd have stages setup where you have to engage targets at close range, the muzzle blast often shredded the cardboard IDPA targets..... hilarious stuff.  Had one I was supposed to put 2 in, first shot tore the target in half and both parts fell on the ground, so I put one more in each half causing them to launch 10' further down range.  Needless to say, I always shot last ;-)

do you FAL bro? ;-)

That is one rifle I do not own, and wish I did.  With all the stupid laws in California, I won't bother now.  In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even fired a FAL.

Though I did own one of its predecessors - an FN49 in 8mmx57JS.  Recently, a friend of mine scored a '49 in 30-06, which was my Holy Grail for many years.  Beautiful rifle in all regards. 

I like a hard working 'tractor'..  the AR's always struck me as dainty little prima-donna's.. if you keep up on maintenance and keep them adjusted I'm sure they're very reliable.  I just remember too many AR's holding up the firing line at competitions...  My FAL has never let me down, thousands of rounds... and I clean it..meh.. whenever I feel like it ;-)  Just keeps on shooting, like a farm implement..

If I lived in CA I'd probably have to cull my collection a bit.... 

Let me know if your coming out here and want to get some shooting done!

23 hours ago, braindead0 said:

I like a hard working 'tractor'..  the AR's always struck me as dainty little prima-donna's.. if you keep up on maintenance and keep them adjusted I'm sure they're very reliable.  I just remember too many AR's holding up the firing line at competitions...  My FAL has never let me down, thousands of rounds... and I clean it..meh.. whenever I feel like it ;-)  Just keeps on shooting, like a farm implement..

If I lived in CA I'd probably have to cull my collection a bit.... 

Let me know if your coming out here and want to get some shooting done!

So after screwing around with AR-pattern rifles for the last....12 years, I've learned a few things. 

First is that quality varies massively among brands, and sometimes even within a brand.  I've seen oversized and undersized gas ports on barrels and gas blocks, misthreaded castle nuts, improperly drilled hammer and trigger holes, poorly broached magazine wells, and the list goes on. 

Then, you've got the Lego Kids that put together an AR of various parts, don't own any precision measuring tools, and expect it to Just Work.  I think about 80% of the functional failures I see are due to people just slapping in 'cool' parts improperly. 

I've built (as in installed barrels, pinned gas blocks, and milled lowers) a number of AR rifles and one AR pistol.  I haven't had any failures yet, but I also took the time to check all my dimensions and to match parts properly.  I have one in 300AAC sitting in the rack that's never been fired, so soon enough we'll see if I can keep up the streak. :)

I will be out that way sometime in early April.  I need to take the renewal course for my NV CCW and hand the WCSO bureaucratic papers and negotiable papers. :)

That makes sense.  Properly built/setup/maintained and they are a work horse.  All of the gunsmiths that I shot with had perfectly working AR's .. then there were people who couldn't keep anything running smoothly...

I am no fan of ARs but I have ran them for 3 gun, I did a 3 gun comp once with an SKS lol. I have not done any competitions in almost three years, except for the occasional LR/ELR/PRS type. Since I dropped my sponsors and an unpredictable work schedule its hard sometimes to find time to compete. This Saturday I'll be out in Dixie hunting yotes in the morning and exploring our the rest of the day.