• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Backwoods Beast

ABANDONED Rawhide Mine Adventure(With Drone): They LIED and said this place was DEMOLISHED

So this was really an awesome day of exploring that we had. I had to break it up into three parts. There is the first part where we got some footage of the abandoned tanks. Then a little ways up the road we found some prospector mines (I left this part out because my next video we are going to be exploring mines). And lastly we found the Rawhide Mine Operation ruins. When we researched this place they said it no longer existed but we didnt let that deter us as we felt we would have heard something about that within our local community. And sure enough the entire site was still there seemingly untouched for who knows how long really. At the end of the day we drove all the way down to Hawthorn, NV and got some video footage of walker lake. I thought about making this into three separate short videos but I feel like that takes away from alot of the adventure. And it seems like the next few I'm putting out are going to be in this form and style.

So I'm guessing a gopro on your gimbal?  That's what I have but I have nowhere to practice flying the drone at this point since I'm stuck in a yankee town chuck full of buildings, tourists and no fly zones. 

The first site you visited has more to see over the low ridge seen around 4:10 in the video.  It's a bit of a hike, but worthwhile.  Eagleville is also a worthwhile place to visit, not far from there, but far enough that you'll need to drive it.  Sadly, the enormous ore bin there is in bad shape, but still (sorta) standing.  I recommend you explore that area soon if anything else is of interest to you.  Continue reading to learn why....

That second site isn't the "Rawhide" of old (i.e. the original town).  The town and mines were further west and they really are gone due to the open pit mine.  The cemetery is still there, though I'm not sure of its present condition.  The place you poked around is actually 2 or 3 separate mines, and most of the claims are patented (owned free and clear). The Navy will most likely have that land in 2 years.  What happens to the buildings afterwards, who knows.  But they're not technically abandoned, since the land is held in fee by the current owners.  Bob has been to that site, too, come to think of it.  He put up a video in...2016(?).  

Another crew posted a video on the site about 3 years ago, and the Underground Explorers were there in 2014 (http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/uec-135-1.htm)  They went down into the mine with the huge headframe.  It appears to have 2 entrances/exits, because at the start they go in one way, and at the end they come out in a completely different area next to the headframe and some small buildings.  Never managed to get there myself, and it looks like I never will due to the property ownership issues. 

I'm not going to pontificate about shooting bottles or the oil can.  That's between you and yours. 

BTW the road in looked like crap.  I can't imagine how anyone pulled a trailer in there.  Must have been determined!

I remember looking into exploring rawhide then finding out it was demolished thanks for letting me know it was still there. If you drove to walker lake did you see the old abandoned fishing boat ?? I've made a video about it a few months back. And if you ever need any locations of old mines around Nevada just let me know.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:45 AM, dig it said:

Shooting at these buildings is what gives us explorers a bad name.

dig it

On 4/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, wimc said:

Enjoyed the video, except what was used for target practice.

Yeah, you guys are right :( We shouldn't have shot at the building. And you are right about it giving a bad name to explorers. I edited that part out of the video on youtube and It won't happen again.

Thanks,

John

On 4/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, dery said:

So I'm guessing a gopro on your gimbal?  That's what I have but I have nowhere to practice flying the drone at this point since I'm stuck in a yankee town chuck full of buildings, tourists and no fly zones. 

Actually, The Phantom 4 pro has its own camera attached to the drone that you can control from your device. And yeah, It's great that here in Nevada we have so much stuff that is on public land.

On 4/18/2018 at 12:34 PM, proper explorations said:

I remember looking into exploring rawhide then finding out it was demolished thanks for letting me know it was still there. If you drove to walker lake did you see the old abandoned fishing boat ?? I've made a video about it a few months back. And if you ever need any locations of old mines around Nevada just let me know.

Oh I did not know about that!!! Thank you I'll have to check that out. There is another well maintained miners camp east of hawthorn called Poinsettia, I think that's one of my next destinations.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, desertdog said:

The first site you visited has more to see over the low ridge seen around 4:10 in the video.  It's a bit of a hike, but worthwhile.  Eagleville is also a worthwhile place to visit, not far from there, but far enough that you'll need to drive it.  Sadly, the enormous ore bin there is in bad shape, but still (sorta) standing.  I recommend you explore that area soon if anything else is of interest to you.  Continue reading to learn why....

That second site isn't the "Rawhide" of old (i.e. the original town).  The town and mines were further west and they really are gone due to the open pit mine.  The cemetery is still there, though I'm not sure of its present condition.  The place you poked around is actually 2 or 3 separate mines, and most of the claims are patented (owned free and clear). The Navy will most likely have that land in 2 years.  What happens to the buildings afterwards, who knows.  But they're not technically abandoned, since the land is held in fee by the current owners.  Bob has been to that site, too, come to think of it.  He put up a video in...2016(?).  

Another crew posted a video on the site about 3 years ago, and the Underground Explorers were there in 2014 (http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/uec-135-1.htm)  They went down into the mine with the huge headframe.  It appears to have 2 entrances/exits, because at the start they go in one way, and at the end they come out in a completely different area next to the headframe and some small buildings.  Never managed to get there myself, and it looks like I never will due to the property ownership issues. 

I'm not going to pontificate about shooting bottles or the oil can.  That's between you and yours. 

BTW the road in looked like crap.  I can't imagine how anyone pulled a trailer in there.  Must have been determined!

Wow thanks for all of the insight, we did some research but we would never known. We actually went out to explore Eagleville the next weekend and I'm working on that video right now. That's sad that the old town is actually gone!!! :( I didn't realize there was more and that it was gone. Do you have to drive to the new mine pit to find the town?? Yeah, the shooting was wrong, I edited it out of the video and will definitely be more responsible next time. The oil can didn't get shot, my friend was trying to take it as a souvenir but I made him leave it before we left.  

thanks,

John 

3 hours ago, Backwoods Beast said:

Wow thanks for all of the insight, we did some research but we would never known. We actually went out to explore Eagleville the next weekend and I'm working on that video right now. That's sad that the old town is actually gone!!! :( I didn't realize there was more and that it was gone. Do you have to drive to the new mine pit to find the town?? Yeah, the shooting was wrong, I edited it out of the video and will definitely be more responsible next time. The oil can didn't get shot, my friend was trying to take it as a souvenir but I made him leave it before we left.  

thanks,

John 

I'm not sure how close you can get to the pit operation.  When I overlay satellite imagery over old topo maps, everything but the cemetery is now part of the pit.  There may be artifacts and bits and pieces outside the immediate operating area, but I can imagine a world of trouble would await anyone caught within boundaries of the mining operation. 

To put it another way, there would have to be a hell of a tempting *something* in there for me to risk it.

2 hours ago, desertdog said:

I'm not sure how close you can get to the pit operation.  When I overlay satellite imagery over old topo maps, everything but the cemetery is now part of the pit.  There may be artifacts and bits and pieces outside the immediate operating area, but I can imagine a world of trouble would await anyone caught within boundaries of the mining operation. 

To put it another way, there would have to be a hell of a tempting *something* in there for me to risk it.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it, its not worth it. Even driving through Olinghouse can be sketchy but I was out there on a Sunday and two guys rode past and I waved and they waved. Most people are usually pretty chill. I haven't ran into any of the wackos yet.

9 hours ago, Backwoods Beast said:

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it, its not worth it. Even driving through Olinghouse can be sketchy but I was out there on a Sunday and two guys rode past and I waved and they waved. Most people are usually pretty chill. I haven't ran into any of the wackos yet.

Olinghouse is one of those odd ducks.  It has never been clear to me what's private and what's public.  I was out there last May and the road into 'town' was a small river.  Got up to where the fenced off building is, got out, looked at some of the abandoned stuff, and then headed out (was on the way home, anyway). 

My biggest worry is some 'militia' type deciding to draw down on me for no reason, other than 'being there'.  That could end badly for everyone involved, and there are people who do just that (Google 'Castro brothers New Idria' for some laughs and cringes).