NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV
  • First Name:Bob
  • Camera:Canon EOS Rebel t2i
  • Explore Vehicle:2005 Dodge Durango

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

As a ghost town explorer, I enjoy venturing out into the desert and viewing the wildlife and old towns of Nevada. Since I am one of the people who enjoy the Nevada Desert, I hate the fact that we have a group of people who lay claim to our public land during the summer and use it as their own private party. The Burning Man event is an annual event held in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada. The Burning Man event draws participants from all over the world and is described as an experimental city. In reality, Burning Man is nothing more than yuppies hanging out in the desert and acting like weirdos. In addition, their logic is completely flawed and hypocritical, which is the main problem I have with this group. Here are a couple of the hypocrisies I have found regarding the burning man event.

The first problem I found with the Burning Man event is the fact that they say in their 10 principals "Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community." Of course if you take a look at the cost of a ticket, you can immediately see the price is out of range for anyone of lower means and aimed at keeping the poor folks from attending. This years tickets range in the following prices: Tier 1 ($210), Tier 2 ($240), Tier 3 ($280), and Tier 4 ($320). I guess Tier 1 tickets are supposed to be for the poor folks, but do you really think poor folks can afford a single ticket for $210? So how can they claim that no prerequisites exists when you HAVE to have a ticket to participate? Is a ticket NOT a prerequisite to participate? What am I am missing here?

The Black Rock City LLC takes over the Black Rock Desert during the event and denies the public access to public land during the duration of the event. This means the event is actually exclusive to only those who are able to purchase a ticket and not inclusive as they suggest, and they do this while occupying PUBLIC land! Sorry, but that is hypocritical and elitism in action!

The next hypocritical principal of Burning man event relates to the following Leave No Trace principle which reads "Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them." So they think bringing 60,000 people into the desert, many of whom have huge bond fires, burn other materials, and who travel in huge RV's, trucks, and fly from overseas has no impact on the environment? Are they saying the desert is devoid of anything that may be affected by their pollution, noise, etc? Are they suggesting that Nevada, with the gridlock, smog, and pollution that comes through Reno is somehow not affected by the pollution of the outdated rv's, trucks, recreational vehicles, etc? Do they preach this "leave no trace" bull when talking about vehicles, SUV's, etc? I bet these same idiots are against the burning of fossil fuels and SUV's, yet when it comes to their own pollution, they dismiss it and suggest they leave no trace! I guess releasing carbon is okay so long as it's done in the Nevada desert by so called burners.

So they think after this event is over, they are leaving the black rock desert in a better state then before they arrived? Are the plants healthier? Is the air healthier? If so, is the air healthier in Los Angeles after rush hour traffic?

Another issue related to the above is the possible harmful affects on the local animals? Oh, you Burning Man people didn't realize the desert was full of animals? Well here is a news flash, the desert is alive with wildlife! On the burning man website it says to leave your dogs at home due to the fact that all the noise, smoke, fireworks, etc may harm your dog, but what about all the coyotes, rabbits, and many other animals who live in the area? Either you are a hypocrite or you think the desert is devoid of life! It's just a little ironic!

Here is a partial list of animals that live in that immediate burning man event area:

• Mountain Lions
  • Coyotes
  • Wild horses
  • Wild Burros
  • Badgers
  • Foxes
  • Mice
  • Rats
  • Squirrels
  • Mule Deer
  • Pronghorn Antelope
  • Rattlesnakes
  • Gopher snakes
  • Sage Grouse
  • Many different types of birds.
  • Lizards
  • Insects

As a matter of fact, we were recently out in the are exploring and seen many of those animals in the list above. Of course the organizers and attendees are probably too high to realize that they are actually surrounded by wildlife!

Would the burning man event goers support such an event in the middle of the Amazon Rain Forrest? I think we know the answer to that, but when you are only using these platitudes to justify your actions, what else can you expect?

Next, the Burning Man event talks about self expression and art, yet if you are a photographer, which is a branch of art, you are not welcome at Burning Man. Once again we see the hypocrisy rear its ugly head! Therefore, photographers need not apply to Burning Man.

The Radical Decommodification principle is yet another contradiction. The principal talks about how the event is not to be used for commercial gain or purposes, yet the organizers sell tickets in order to attend the event and have a website to advertise the event, not to mention the fact that the company that organizes the event is an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation)!

For an event that touts the arts, freedom of expression, and the environment, there sure are a lot of contradictions. The fact is, Burning Man is a yuppie event where yuppies can gather and act like freaks. They pollute the environment and use elitism in order to keep out the "poor" folks while pretending to be inclusive. The fact is, the entire Burning Man event is a contradiction of its supposed principals. I honestly don't care if you want to head out and act like a freak, but please don't pretend that you are some kind of environmentalist.

So go ahead and pollute the Black Rock Desert and the earth on your way to the event, but don't pretend to be something you're not. smile.gif

• ghosttrain2, Deathvalleyjim and Reno Jen like this

Ads Do Not Show For Members

#2 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Must be getting to that time when all the freaks enjoy trashing our desert as I see all the burning man freaks here in Reno, NV. Of course many of them want to play the hippie role while the drive through our city in their huge RV's and trucks. I wonder how many of these losers try to pretend play that they are "environmentalists" while polluting our beautiful black rock desert?

Another irony is the fact that this group is supposedly anti-corporations, yet they come through here and are welcomed by the very corporations they pretend to hate. For example, I went to Lowes today and they had a huge sign welcoming the Burning Man losers to their store, and I did see quite a few of the hypocrites purchasing items from this major corporation. I have to admit, it's very entertaining to point out all these contradictions. Did I mention that Black Rock Rock City is an LLC?
  • ghosttrain2 likes this

#3 Flatiron

Flatiron

New Explorer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFlorence/Payson, Az.
  • First Name:Pat

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

I hear ya Bob. Being we spend our summers in the Eastern Sierras, we see these weirdos coming thru town this time of year, and have to laugh at some of the modified vans, motorhomes, and SUVs that cruise up and down Hwy. 395. The owners of Mono Vista RV park in Lee Vining used to deal with the burners, but refuse to do so (on the most part) now , due to them leaving behind a lot of thier garbage accumulated while attending the "event". Some of these folks have trashed the bathrooms and showers and seem to have no respect for other campers. It's surprising to me how many of them have expensive RV's and mountain bikes, though a lot of them drive piece of crap hippie vehicles. It's not my cup of tea, and the organisers are probably making a few bucks off of this goofiness. As far as being hypocrites, that seems to go along with the "save the Earth" crowd and liberal left. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this affair disappear into the sunset. Nuff said.................
  • Bob and ghosttrain2 like this

#4 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

I couldn't agree more Flatiron. It's interesting that they claim to hate corporations, yet they pay a corporation to put on their little week long event. They are becoming what they claim to despise. I usually wouldn't care less about what people do, but when they go out to the areas that I enjoy and pretend that they can do as they please because they don't believe there is anything of value out there, then it really gets under my skin.

#5 David A. Wright

David A. Wright

Advanced Explorer

• Established Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Nevada

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Burning Man exposed ... I thought everyone at Burning Man was exposed ... :HmmHmm:

Burning Man has a very interesting history, but like any small, local festival, it grows beyond control and early principals / values go out the window with increased money and greed. Like Mule Days in Bishop. Once a small venue for locals, it's now a mega party with big name superstars and hoards of people in too small a space.

Working at an auto parts store in Winnemucca, many have been stopping on on the way out and now on their way back. Many in the store yesterday - filthy, smelly, broken down 50 year old school buses or assorted vehicles made up of multiple makes/models/years with blown radiators, engine / drivetrain maladies and wondering why we don't stock parts for such vehicles and why don't we sell tires?

A retired BLM management guy from here was in the store yesterday and we had a conversation about Burning Man. He was one of the early ones who worked with the Burning Man upper etchelon. He said that it was once simply a venue for aging hippies to go out and relive the 1960s, but now it has grown way beyond. Many participants are now wealthy people with high stress jobs that use this as a way to go nuts in a controlled way (blow off steam).

Pershing County is being sued by the Black Rock LLC over the county raising fees. Pershing has a very small police force and since the event is barely inside the county, they must police it. With help from Winnemucca / Humboldt, yes.

I've never been there, have no care about doing so (to the event, that is). I lived the '60s within a Beaver Cleaver culture. Like Richie Cunningham (Happy Days), I guess I just like my fun clean, modest and nerdy. :driver:
  • Bob and ghosttrain2 like this
David A. Wright~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

#6 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Washoe County loves the event since all the anti-corporation burners love to shop and support all our local corporations. The irony seems to escape them. :29snick:

#7 El Polvo

El Polvo

DUST

• Moderators
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Camera:Canon T5i Rebel
  • Explore Vehicle:2013 Nissan Frontier CrewCab Pro-4X

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

That sounds like it would be a nice event to miss. Lol.

#8 El Polvo

El Polvo

DUST

• Moderators
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Camera:Canon T5i Rebel
  • Explore Vehicle:2013 Nissan Frontier CrewCab Pro-4X

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

That sounds like it would be a nice event to miss. Lol.

Hey, if any of you wants to go play hippie for a week or two I got 80 acres and will only charge 200 bucks a head!
  • Bob likes this

#9 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

I hear they may be looking for a new venue, so be careful El! :29snick:
  • El Polvo likes this

#10 ghosttrain2

ghosttrain2

Advanced Scout

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWinnemucca,NV
  • First Name:Dave
  • Explore Vehicle:1994 Explorer

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Well-the Pershing County district attorney placed a guest commentary in the Humboldt Sun, and the Lovelock papers, explaining that the fee increases are to comply with Nevada law, for the funding of the Sheriff's Department. Black Rock City LLc. of S.F Ca says this will destroy its ability to do business. Tickets to this years event were 300-400 per ticket, for 60,000 attendee's..In 2003,salaries to Larry Harvey and his oc-organizers was $1,047,528. In 2011,they made $7,103,000.It is estimated that gross profits from this years event was between $18,000,000 to $21,000,000.Pershing County is charging 2% of those profits for expenses.I feel that California can keep it's hippies, Burning Man festival, and it's trash within it's borders.
  • Bob likes this

#11 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

I noticed in the letter from Pershing County, they also mentioned how the police have to deal with all the problems associated with Burning Man, such as violence, domestic issues, and child endangerment, among many others. I had no idea there were so many problems during the event; so much for the "peace crowd".

Amazing how these idiots who attend have no idea how much they are paying those who are organizing these events. The thing that gets me is they say they hate corporations, yet they pay a corporation to put the event on for them! :27sign2:

Isn't it interesting that those of us who drive our big trucks, SUV's, and All Terrain Vehicles care more about the desert than the so called "environmentalists" who attend burning man?
  • El Polvo and ghosttrain2 like this

#12 ghosttrain2

ghosttrain2

Advanced Scout

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWinnemucca,NV
  • First Name:Dave
  • Explore Vehicle:1994 Explorer

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Absolutely,Bob!!

#13 Deathvalleyjim

Deathvalleyjim

Scout

• Established Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMojave Desert
  • First Name:Jim

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Great post Bob!

• Bob likes this
Death Valley Jim

Visit me online at:
http://www.deathvalleyjim.com

#14 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Jim.  :cheers:

• Deathvalleyjim likes this

#15 desertdog

desertdog

Advanced Explorer

• Established Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationS.F Bay Area
  • First Name:Ed

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Bob, you hit the nail on the head and there is even more.  The group I go on trips with tried to publicize the hypocrisy of Burning Man, and failed (stopbm.org, it's defunct now) several years ago. 

The LNT concept is a good one, but not practiced well.  In March of 2006 a friend and I went up there for the playa inspection as BLM volunteers.  We found plenty of trash left over.  The worst part was abandoned rebar stakes.  Unable to remove them, the idiots pounded them flush with the playa surface.  Wind, water and time would leave them sticking 1-6" above the surface.  Now, imagine doing 40 or 50 across the playa and hitting one of those with your tire, or flipping it up into your driveshaft, oil pan, gas tank or another critical area.  Think that might leave a mark?  I do.

That's one of the primary reasons we don't venture onto the playa anymore and enjoy other areas of Nevada when those buttheads are in town doing their "thing". 

I recently made a friend who lives a few miles outside of Gerlach on a little ranch.  Nice guy, and he's taken advantage of the discount tickets for locals.  Each time he tried to enter or leave he was hassled by the "Greeters".  In one instance, he was working as a commercial driver for a small tour bus (like on of those "short bus" things) and was prevented from leaving with a load of senior citizens.  The end result was a mess, though he did get himself out of there.  Make no mistake, they are not "inclusive" of anyone unless they see $$ from them.

There are probably other issues I can't even recall right now, i.e. a questionably "cozy" relationship between the LLC and BLM, disregard for public travel *near*, but not within, the event boundaries.  Oh yeah, that's it...

On year a bunch of us were driving on the playa during the event, outside the vehicular closure, but within sight of the trash fence.  Our goal was Trego -> Double Hot Springs.  Some idiot 'rangers' (LLC volunteers) decided to "intercept" us.  One passenger in our truck was a California peace officer.  To say he was livid (and this guy never loses his cool) would be an understatement.  Had we not yielded, they would have threatened a serious accident. 

No, they're a bunch of foolish renegades with no ethics.  My dog (see avatar) has more common sense and moral bearing than that lot of jerks.

• Bob and El Polvo like this

Now there's many a day on the Spanish Main / But none I hold so dear /

As the happy day I first became / A scurvy buccaneer /
Pull away, me lads o' the Cardiff Rose / And hoist the Jolly Roger

#16 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the rebar, could you imagine doing 40 or 50 while driving a fairly low sitting vehicle and having one of those coming through your floorboard? I hate seeing people trash up our desert! They seem to think it's devoid of anything worthwhile. 

#17 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

It's that time year again and these freaks are preparing for their annual event. :22gloomyandsad:

#18 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

On year a bunch of us were driving on the playa during the event, outside the vehicular closure, but within sight of the trash fence.  Our goal was Trego -> Double Hot Springs.  Some idiot 'rangers' (LLC volunteers) decided to "intercept" us.  One passenger in our truck was a California peace officer.  To say he was livid (and this guy never loses his cool) would be an understatement.  Had we not yielded, they would have threatened a serious accident. 

No, they're a bunch of foolish renegades with no ethics.  My dog (see avatar) has more common sense and moral bearing than that lot of jerks.

Ed,

What was the outcome of the confrontation with the LLC volunteers? Do they have any law enforcement authority out there? Do they have any authority to harass people outside of the event area? I was thinking of heading out to the general area and taking some photos, but outside of their event area.

• El Polvo likes this

#19 desertdog

desertdog

Advanced Explorer

• Established Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationS.F Bay Area
  • First Name:Ed

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

The "Black Rock Rangers" are a bunch of volunteers with no law enforcement powers at all.  The "talked" to us.  It was pleasant for about 8 seconds.  Then I wanted to either 1) end the conversation nicely or 2) deck one of them and end the conversation.  Their authority, if any, is based around civil, not criminal, principles (aside from making a citizen arrest, which is nothing unique to them). 

If you want photos of the event, you're going to want a map of the closure areas.  They close various areas to various uses (cars, guns, camping, existing, breathing too hard, etc.)  If it's not to take pics of the event, go a couple weeks after and enjoy the lack of those waterheads being there in the first place.

My buddy Jon is there right now working as an EMT Supervisor (hey, he gets paid!)  From what he tells me, lots of the 'work' is "lollypop-n-bandaid" junk, with the odd trauma now and then.  Some dehydration and OD morons always wander in, too. It's a gathering of 60,000 people, of which probably 59,000 are reckless, indifferent mental children.

I won't be anywhere near the desert during that stupid event.  I'm not heading up to Seven Troughs and the like until the end of September.  Pray for an early winter or at least a cold fall.

• Bob and El Polvo like this

Now there's many a day on the Spanish Main / But none I hold so dear /

As the happy day I first became / A scurvy buccaneer /
Pull away, me lads o' the Cardiff Rose / And hoist the Jolly Roger

#20 Bob

Bob

NV Rat

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I wanted to get some photos of how much they trash the area. I could probably wait until right after the event and get some good photos of the way they trash the place. I thought it would be a good addition to the thread. Are you heading to Seven Troughs by yourself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users