• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

braindead0

Any idea what these are?

How's that for a descriptive title ;-)  The attached images show 'tiles' that are attached to the ground using simple landscaping 'nails'.  I should have measured, but I think each square was about 10', they clip together.  As this was near an active mine, I suspect they were used for some sort of arial survey.  However they aren't permanently fixed to the ground, I'm wondering if these were temporary and nobody bothers picking them up.. in which case I would be cleaning up trash from BLM land by taking them!  Figured I could use them for something.. for now left them be.

P4210007.png

P4210017.png

They do look like aerial survey markers of some sort.  Or perhaps they mark locations for future drill holes?  It seems lots of mines just bore holes into the ground to determine the extent and value of an ore body.  I guess if a bunch of trucks roll up with sacks of mud compound, and a drilling rig, you'll know!

I have also seen those used in road construction (not sure why), although I am sure they can have multiple uses.

The main question is.. do they count as trash..... or do the normal salvage rules apply

If it aint nailed down it's salvage, if I can pry it up... aint nailed down

;-)

I'd wager they are markers for any of a number of reasons: "drill here" or "cement here" or "blast here"-- the type of thing that would be removed when the drilling, cementing, or blasting commences. So probably a surveyor will come out looking for them at some point.

So, if you think drillin' blastin' and pavin' are good things, leave 'em be.

If you want to channel your inner Edward Abbey and Monkeywrench The Man, then pry 'em up and run.

But you officially did not hear that from me, and I shall neither confirm nor deny.

They've been sitting there for 4+ years, some are definitely outside the patent claim, maybe they were planning on prospecting....    so far I haven't thought of a good use for 'em though ;-)

4 years!? Oh, to heck with that; you can pry 'em up and paper the inside of your garage with them and make a crazy video studio that probably has some nice acoustic-dampening properties. Or play square frisbee, use 'em as lunch trays, or whatever.

Leave something for 4 years and clearly you're not concerned enough to gripe when someone comes along and plays with them.

Might make weird skeets, too.

Radioactive Penguin raises a good point: keep them in your truck for emergency traction pads on those muddy-day explores, perhaps.

39 minutes ago, coyote said:

Radioactive Penguin raises a good point: keep them in your truck for emergency traction pads on those muddy-day explores, perhaps.

They're probably a bit thing for traction pads in mud or sand.. however they're smallish and would certainly be better than nothing... good call!

17 hours ago, braindead0 said:

They're probably a bit thing for traction pads in mud or sand.. however they're smallish and would certainly be better than nothing... good call!

BTDT.  If you want a square projectile, go for it.  :)  Personally I think a guy's better off strapping a chunk of 2x4 across one of the wheels, or bringing along real traction pads. 

3 hours ago, desertdog said:

BTDT.  If you want a square projectile, go for it.  :)  Personally I think a guy's better off strapping a chunk of 2x4 across one of the wheels, or bringing along real traction pads. 

as long as it gets ya moving again, rocks...branches...whatever's at hand...

On 4/29/2018 at 7:53 PM, braindead0 said:

as long as it gets ya moving again, rocks...branches...whatever's at hand...

Oh, I get where you're coming from on that one.  It's just that with all the modern "crap" attached to trucks these days, the last thing I want to do is rip out an ABS sensor or some stability control wiring and have the dang thing go into limp mode.  Or perhaps the worst, a brake line.  Yay!  I'm unstuck!  Boo!  Unstucking made me stuck again!  That sorta thing.  Obviously if you're in a bare-bones rig, this doesn't apply.  Hence another reason I so desperately miss my CJ7. 

21 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Yeah, more like a last ditch 'holy crap I'm really stuck, maybe these'll do the job thing..  More likely garage flooring ;-)

In that regard, I don't disagree.  Last ditch, all-or-nothing, home-or-bust - I would do the same thing.