• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dery

Reenactment Practice First Video

How active is the re-enactment situation out there?  I used to do a lot of 13-16th century English/Irish and Scottish events, I have a portable forge with 4' double bellows and put on a pretty fine show (I love the smell of a coal forge!)

Sometime in the late 1990's early 2000's businesses started buying up the various events and turning them into thinly disguised themed flea markets with no standards at all.  Last 'Renaissance' event I attended (15 or so years ago, Cincinnati Ohio) Queens Progress had a guy wearing an 18th century top hat, nobody bothered removing wrist watches and every kilt was a modern belted item..... it was really sad.  I think the mountain man rendezvous and Civil War type groups have avoided the corruption, but I'm not too sure.

Very active.  Especially Pensacola, Saint Augustine and Mission San Louis de Appalachee.  Dade Battle and The Christmas at Okeechobee are annual and on different dates.  Yet Pensacola, Mobile, Saint Augustine and Mission San Louis De Appalachee have reenactments at least once a month.  

Yes.  

I just read up on this today. Fascinating bit of history! And to think a bunch of them escaped to the swamps and were too much of a pain in the hindparts to root them out. Good for them! And the "Seminole" weren't even a real tribe, but collections of tribes that refused to submit to reservations (and a bunch of escaped slaves) fighting for their right to be left alone.

Most expensive (in money and blood both) of all the Indian Wars. Crazy stuff!

Now there's What Frank and Ann Thomas call the 4th Seminole War.  This time it's through bingo halls and bacci shops.  No bloodshed.  Man I hope they win.