• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SteveHazard

Hi from Southern CA

Hello Everybody my name is Steve

I'm a little north of a city called Los Angeles in a beautiful but often rage inducing state that I would say I have a love/hate relationship with. Found these forums about a week ago and have been watching videos from EWU and DesertDog for awhile now. Found some other channels I like since visiting here. In addition to explore old places I like other outdoor things such as snowboard, hike, backpack, and hunt. Hunting in particular often takes me well off the beaten path and over the years have run into some really cool places, weird places, and a couple of dangerous places. Trying to find places to hunt and find weird places out in the middle of nowhere often ended up being things that could be done in the same trip. I'll often take my daughter with me out to these places, and even though she may complain that I drag her miles on foot to the farthest reaches of a desert to the higher passes in the Sierras, she is always amazed and appreciative that I take her places and do things that none of her other friends get to. 

Love to start making some better videos myself but right now I'm being held back by garbage computers making the editing process frustrating. I really like the story driven format that went along with the explorations that EWU did and would love to do some like that. Gotta a couple in mind that would be good. 

Looking forward to interacting with the members here. 

Yes I have, I was tempted to wait in that small storage area half way down and scare somebody. Still a lot of places in that general area I'd like to try and check out. 

Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit in well here. If you're a Costco member, they frequently have good deals on computers... and if things go belly-up on one of their purchases, they are very accommodating (or so I've found). All my last 3 computers have been from Costco.

I also love visiting Costcos in California and Nevada because I can load up on industrial-size bottles of liquor, which we can't get in Idaho because of "blue laws".

Sometime soon I'd like to organize a meet-up in northern Nevada or southern Idaho. There's great natural scenery as well as ghost towns and the like.

I'm dragging the oldest kid out to NW Nevada soon - mostly for some rockhounding, but I'm sure she'll get a kick out of the Rhyolite Castle and its abandoned shack.  I camped there with a friend 18 years ago, and now I'm going back with my own kid.  The plan is to make our way up into the obsidian beds near Davis Creek, CA by way of Leadville, Vya, Cedarville, etc.  Either way, we're getting the hell out for a few days with no phones and no interwebs.  The InReach is for her to use if I keel over and die, since she can't reach the pedals yet.  I told her school I was taking her away for some real education.  There will be guns, fire, exploring, much dirt and dust, possibly some critters and impromptu meals. 

26 minutes ago, desertdog said:

I'm dragging the oldest kid out to NW Nevada soon - mostly for some rockhounding, but I'm sure she'll get a kick out of the Rhyolite Castle and its abandoned shack.  I camped there with a friend 18 years ago, and now I'm going back with my own kid.  The plan is to make our way up into the obsidian beds near Davis Creek, CA by way of Leadville, Vya, Cedarville, etc.  Either way, we're getting the hell out for a few days with no phones and no interwebs.  The InReach is for her to use if I keel over and die, since she can't reach the pedals yet.  I told her school I was taking her away for some real education.  There will be guns, fire, exploring, much dirt and dust, possibly some critters and impromptu meals.

Sounds awesome, that'll be making some unforgettable memories..    Looking forward to the trip report, in particular Vya rockhounding.. I know there's a lot up there, just haven't been yet, need to scope it out for boondocking sites as the wife prefers rockhounding in style (aka, trailer with bathroom and comfy bed ;-)

10 hours ago, desertdog said:

How old is she? I remember seeing a video of yours up by Sonora I believe and she looks around the same age as mine, or little older. My girl is 9 right now. 

Definitely good to take them out there and get them experiencing and exposed to things at a young age. I've also found that I want to expose my daughter to certain things early before the standardized or stereotypical thoughts set in.  The inside of fish or bird is interesting and cool to her and not gross. I've taken her backpacking once each of the last two years so far and to many different abandoned, dirty, and interesting places her mother would certainly object to if she was present.  

With the driving I have taken her out a few times so far. And no she can't really reach the pedals very well at all either, I've actually made pedal extenders out of plywood and zip ties for her second time out alone. But for her first time out I just took her out to a dry lake, but her in the drivers seat of my manual tacoma, and talked her though it. At first I thought the manual was probably not ideal to start a kid off on but after doing it I decided it is way safer because I was able to restrict her speed to first gear. 

13 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Sounds awesome, that'll be making some unforgettable memories..    Looking forward to the trip report, in particular Vya rockhounding.. I know there's a lot up there, just haven't been yet, need to scope it out for boondocking sites as the wife prefers rockhounding in style (aka, trailer with bathroom and comfy bed ;-)

So 18 years changes a lot of things I'm sure, but I recall plenty of wide spots in the road to pull out, and ample feeder roads that could get you to nice grassy flat spots.  I'll be trying to take lots of video, so I'll make note of where the good boondock-y areas are.  We'll be doing the same, only I told the kid "No Tents!"  Moving camp each day is a PITA and a tent adds to the PITA. 

The first 1/2 of the trip is based off "Rockhounding Nevada" (2nd Ed.), and the first stop will probably be the Lund Petrified 'Forest' (she's curious about what a petrified forest is really like...)

Up past Lund, I recall stopping at the foot of a bluff (the road starts to make a right turn, but all I have is my memory of the area).  I found baseketball-sized pieces of some sort of silicate mineral - semi-opaque, a very deep green color, almost olive drab, with a yellowish crust on it here and there.  The fracture was not conchoidal, and the hardness was maybe in the 5-7 range at best.  To this day I still have not been able to positively identify the mineral, and I gave away all my pieces of it to so-called "experts" in the hopes that they could ID it.

The color is almost spot-on for epidote, but the physical properties are not.  It looked amorphous like obsidian, but did not 'work' like obsidian.     This has been an 18-year mystery and I hope I can find more pieces to settle it once and for all. 

As for the kid, she pouted when I told her "no iPod Touch".  So I'm not sure what sort of memories she'll have, other than ones of some sort of backwards, dystopian, technology-limited existence without phones, the Internet, or 'apps'.  :-/

I'm sure that in later years she'll appreciate it more....   Most of my desert memories I was left to my own devices, 6 years old..wandering around in the desert with a pick hammer and a 20ga shotgun...hunting rabbits and geodes.  I probably never wandered far out of site of my grandmother...but I may have ;-).  I never got any rabbits, or found any geodes.. but it was fun anyway.

2 hours ago, SteveHazard said:

How old is she? I remember seeing a video of yours up by Sonora I believe and she looks around the same age as mine, or little older. My girl is 9 right now. 

Definitely good to take them out there and get them experiencing and exposed to things at a young age. I've also found that I want to expose my daughter to certain things early before the standardized or stereotypical thoughts set in.  The inside of fish or bird is interesting and cool to her and not gross. I've taken her backpacking once each of the last two years so far and to many different abandoned, dirty, and interesting places her mother would certainly object to if she was present.  

With the driving I have taken her out a few times so far. And no she can't really reach the pedals very well at all either, I've actually made pedal extenders out of plywood and zip ties for her second time out alone. But for her first time out I just took her out to a dry lake, but her in the drivers seat of my manual tacoma, and talked her though it. At first I thought the manual was probably not ideal to start a kid off on but after doing it I decided it is way safer because I was able to restrict her speed to first gear. 

The oldest just turned 10 a few days ago.  T'other one is but 15 months old (crappy spacing on that, but oh well) and doesn't speak English, has no job, limited skills, and expects everything to be handed to her!  She stays home, for now. 

I exposed the oldest to dead stuff at an early age, but it seems the "eww gross" still somehow set in, to some degree or another - it's very odd. When she was 4, I came home with my first bear.  I couldn't keep her from poking the head and teeth and trying to "see the brain".  When she was 7 or 8, I came home with a nice buck (first one I'd had time to kill since she'd been born).  The ticks and fleas were thick, and she wanted to crawl all over it, blood and all.  That night she sat down and ate fried heart with me.  But slice open a trout stomach and show her what it's been eating, and she's about ready to hurl.  She makes me catch snakes (little racers) so she can see them up close, but refuses to admit she's eaten cottontail rabbit.  *shrug*

I don't think I'm ready to teach her how to drive, yet.  She's a little too goofy for my liking and I need her to mature some.  Is yours a newer or older Tacoma?  I drive a '14 w/ 6sp. now, but I miss my 2004 (wouldn't accommodate the bigger family, though).  She loves going places in the truck, and I even took the time to re-install my BlueSky rack with some custom mounts so she can stow her Crickett up top.  I love taking her out shooting, and she's developing very good habits in terms of breathing, sighting, and trigger squeeze.  I just wish she was a little bigger so she'd be comfortable with the little 10/22 I built into a 200 yard Gopher Murdering Tool of Global Domination!

20 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

I'm sure that in later years she'll appreciate it more....   Most of my desert memories I was left to my own devices, 6 years old..wandering around in the desert with a pick hammer and a 20ga shotgun...hunting rabbits and geodes.  I probably never wandered far out of site of my grandmother...but I may have ;-).  I never got any rabbits, or found any geodes.. but it was fun anyway.

A shotgun and a rock hammer.  That just draws a really entertaining picture in my head.  But yeah, I remember all sorts of trips with dad where I'd just sort of wander around,  doing whatever, with not a care in the world, until someone said it was time to eat/go/sleep/fish/shoot/whatever.  We have friends with a ranch up near Cloverdale - that's the first place I ever shot off the back of a horse (coyote) as a kid, and where I learned to ride a horse, for that matter.  Those damn beasts still fascinate and amaze me, second only to dogs.  :)

20 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

And..sorry for the threadjack... happens a lot around here, things wander and now we've wandered into the northern reaches of Nevada ;-)

Well, that's what the majority of us do away from the keyboard, when we can - wander.  The world is big, and wandering is so much more fun than having a fixed itinerary.  Always looking, never sure for what exactly, but for something that pushes the Big Red Investigate button in your brain.

And then I pity those who, by choice alone, choose to live only an urban, always-on-always-connected lifestyle.  I guess they find joy there, but I do not. 

2 hours ago, desertdog said:

The oldest just turned 10 a few days ago.  T'other one is but 15 months old (crappy spacing on that, but oh well) and doesn't speak English, has no job, limited skills, and expects everything to be handed to her!  She stays home, for now. 

I exposed the oldest to dead stuff at an early age, but it seems the "eww gross" still somehow set in, to some degree or another - it's very odd. When she was 4, I came home with my first bear.  I couldn't keep her from poking the head and teeth and trying to "see the brain".  When she was 7 or 8, I came home with a nice buck (first one I'd had time to kill since she'd been born).  The ticks and fleas were thick, and she wanted to crawl all over it, blood and all.  That night she sat down and ate fried heart with me.  But slice open a trout stomach and show her what it's been eating, and she's about ready to hurl.  She makes me catch snakes (little racers) so she can see them up close, but refuses to admit she's eaten cottontail rabbit.  *shrug*

I don't think I'm ready to teach her how to drive, yet.  She's a little too goofy for my liking and I need her to mature some.  Is yours a newer or older Tacoma?  I drive a '14 w/ 6sp. now, but I miss my 2004 (wouldn't accommodate the bigger family, though).  She loves going places in the truck, and I even took the time to re-install my BlueSky rack with some custom mounts so she can stow her Crickett up top.  I love taking her out shooting, and she's developing very good habits in terms of breathing, sighting, and trigger squeeze.  I just wish she was a little bigger so she'd be comfortable with the little 10/22 I built into a 200 yard Gopher Murdering Tool of Global Domination!

They're girls. I think most of them will still have some level of the "eww gross" set in. It can be funny how they feel about things. This year my daughter retrieved a quail and over the course a minute went Ahhh it's still alive, wait I'm going to pet it,  oh my gosh you smashed it's poor little head daddy, and then this is going to be my dinner tonight. I've given my daughter enough different game animals that she enjoys that she'll actively pick out and try new things. Sadly I can't say that she is the same with her vegetables, very difficult sometimes. 

My Tacoma is an 11 5spd with the 2.7 and the access cab I think it's called, it doesn't have the full size seats in the back just those tiny ones that you make somebody you don't like use if they insist on being a 2nd passenger. This is my first 4x4 truck and I couldn't be happier. Other then getting a little more aggressive M&S tires it's pretty bare bones. So far it's taken me everywhere I've felt comfortable to try... no I did have to turn around once in the mud and let things dry out but I have yet to get it stuck anywhere. I've been wanting a roof rack but was lucky not to have one a month ago squeezing under the railroad tracks in a wash. 

Mine has shot  a .410, the 10/22 that probably needs an extractor, and the AR if it's in normal form and she can grip it off rests but she's not big or strong enough yet to shoot anything off hand other then a Red Ryder. I'll occasionally catch her doing the girl lean back stance.  

20 hours ago, SteveHazard said:

They're girls. I think most of them will still have some level of the "eww gross" set in. It can be funny how they feel about things. This year my daughter retrieved a quail and over the course a minute went Ahhh it's still alive, wait I'm going to pet it,  oh my gosh you smashed it's poor little head daddy, and then this is going to be my dinner tonight. I've given my daughter enough different game animals that she enjoys that she'll actively pick out and try new things. Sadly I can't say that she is the same with her vegetables, very difficult sometimes. 

My Tacoma is an 11 5spd with the 2.7 and the access cab I think it's called, it doesn't have the full size seats in the back just those tiny ones that you make somebody you don't like use if they insist on being a 2nd passenger. This is my first 4x4 truck and I couldn't be happier. Other then getting a little more aggressive M&S tires it's pretty bare bones. So far it's taken me everywhere I've felt comfortable to try... no I did have to turn around once in the mud and let things dry out but I have yet to get it stuck anywhere. I've been wanting a roof rack but was lucky not to have one a month ago squeezing under the railroad tracks in a wash. 

Mine has shot  a .410, the 10/22 that probably needs an extractor, and the AR if it's in normal form and she can grip it off rests but she's not big or strong enough yet to shoot anything off hand other then a Red Ryder. I'll occasionally catch her doing the girl lean back stance.  

Yeah, it's always a range of 'emotions' with girls, I think.  "Awww"  "Cute"  "Ewww"  "Ugh"  "Hmmm"  "Yum". 

Tacoma's are nice trucks, and at least you have the longer bed.  The 5 1/2 foot bed gets a little tedious at times, where I could really use the extra room for more fuel, water, and firewood.  The tradeoff is the back seat, which gives me more locking storage. 

I haven't put my oldest behind an AR, yet.  I was thinking about my loadout for the trip, and the fact I'm going to be really off the grid with one of the kids.  I think I'll drag an AR with me and let her squeeze off a few rounds.  Who knows, maybe we'll do some pest control on top of it all.