• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Found a pretty cool and beat old ranch today. The 5+ mile road to it was in perfect condition.... BEHIND A LOCKED GATE!!! Thank you forest service, I needed the exercise anyways on my mountain bike. This place had three main buildings. Found some better information on it after coming back with something that was written on the water tower. Seems like it was an interesting little place now completely forgotten. I want to go back and take more pictures and video now that I know more about it. Supposedly an old mine another couple miles back, wonder if anybody works it still. This place will most likely be gone completely the first fire that hits the area. Here's a couple pictures to get things started.  

20180517_142309.jpg

20180517_134826.jpg

20180517_134926.jpg

Might be an old movie ranch, which were pretty numerous in the early days of the motion picture industry. Lots of old Westerns were shot in the lower San Gabriels, Vasquez Rocks or westward from Hollywood between Simi Valley and Ventura before they discovered Red Rock Canyon and the Alabama Hills. Such ranches were semi working ranches or at least kept up cabins to accomodate cast and crew.

It's possible it may of been used in that capacity some at some time. I did find out that there were animals like bison and deer and the name on the water tower would be suggestive of it possibly being a film ranch... even though that wasn't the actually name of the place. 

The other house that was there.

20180517_135750.thumb.jpg.2beb53fee30d96c88913d0703ce11696.jpg

Usually movie set buildings have unusual layouts in the interior so that they can get lights and cameras in for good shots.   Rooms often missing walls, and typically plumbing and the like isn't even functional.  At least that's been the case on the sets I've been on.

I was thinking of accomodations for cast and crew. Ranches were used primarily for outdoor scenes. Sound stages back in Hollywood were used for indoor scenes.

They filmed interiors at Big Sky Movie Ranch.  The saloon,  hotel and 'little house on the prairie' house were all setup for filming interiors.   I think it depends on the time period and/or distance from studios.. or maybe the look they were going for?

When we shot Army of Darkness in Acton the sets they built were used for both interior and exterior shots, only a couple of crew stayed on site mostly just security/maintenance folks.  I'm not working from a large enough sample to generalize of course.

I wanted to do this in one go of a vid but the comp I have to edit on is a slow dying laptop. Unless anybody has any sugestions on how to edit vids on a POS Chromebook. Anyways here is part one that I put together.

That's a pretty awesome find, love finding places like that! Looks like it was way out there! My kind of place! 

Yeah it was about 5 miles behind the locked USFS gate. About 20 or more miles of good condition forest service roads locked behind the gate because they will not fix one spot that has washout damage. I was able to ride my mountain bike to this one. I've debated in my head regarding that overman chair... part of me does not want to leave it there going to waste knowing it's going to get toasted, probably soon I suspect. 

I think I forgot to post part 2 so here it is. 

Frank Knapp died in the late 80’s. He was a descendant of the first owners of the ranch that built it in 1903-04 era.  It was a working cattle ranch. 

I'm actually an expert on the Knapp family. I've been doing extensive research on them and another of their properties for a number of years.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, braindead0 said:

They filmed interiors at Big Sky Movie Ranch.  The saloon,  hotel and 'little house on the prairie' house were all setup for filming interiors.   I think it depends on the time period and/or distance from studios.. or maybe the look they were going for?

When we shot Army of Darkness in Acton the sets they built were used for both interior and exterior shots, only a couple of crew stayed on site mostly just security/maintenance folks.  I'm not working from a large enough sample to generalize of course.

Big Sky. My hometown :)

On 5/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, SteveHazard said:

Found a pretty cool and beat old ranch today. The 5+ mile road to it was in perfect condition.... BEHIND A LOCKED GATE!!! Thank you forest service, I needed the exercise anyways on my mountain bike. This place had three main buildings. Found some better information on it after coming back with something that was written on the water tower. Seems like it was an interesting little place now completely forgotten. I want to go back and take more pictures and video now that I know more about it. Supposedly an old mine another couple miles back, wonder if anybody works it still. This place will most likely be gone completely the first fire that hits the area. Here's a couple pictures to get things started.  

Whoa! You found the old mine??? Actually, descendants of the Knapp family still own this property. And yes, they do still work the mine once in a while.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:43 PM, El Polvo said:

Frank Knapp died in the late 80’s. He was a descendant of the first owners of the ranch that built it in 1903-04 era.  It was a working cattle ranch. 

Yep. This Frank Knapp was the brother of Joseph, who owned Quail Run Ranch, aka Ghost Ranch. At one time Joseph was part owner of the gold mine at Frank's ranch.

Steve, or anyone else, if you want to know more about this Knapp family feel welcome to read at my team site..... https://apireloaded.wordpress.com/category/locations/california/ghost-ranch/page/1/

I am going to post private notes from my team's private group. This info. was suppressed from the public on team blog.

Frank Knapp, Sr., father of Joseph who built the ranch, was a defrocked Catholic priest, who had formed a relationship with and impregnated, a young nun back in his native Switzerland/Austria. I mention both countries because Frank and his wife provide both of these on different census records, probably because the area they were born in was at one time a part of the Austria-Hungarian empire.

Any way, Frank went on to marry, but according to family history, NOT to the nun. Some question whether Frank, Jr., was the son of Frank, Sr. and the nun. I will be researching further in to this, to see what evidence comes up. Sometime after the birth of Frank, Jr. the family immigrated to the United States, where they became a prominent family in the Chatsworth/Canoga Park area.

Here is a photo of Frank, Sr., in his native country.

Frank Knapp.jpg

Anna SWAIN Gallow, the original homesteader, was married to a Joseph. For some reason they did not divorce and spent the majority of their marriage living apart, in different states or counties. They had no children. They did raise Anna's nephew, Frank L. Barrows, who appears to have been orphaned by age 2 years.

The last resident owner of the property was Virginia Maroney, who was the live-in lover of Joseph Knapp. The main house was built in 1940 by Joseph Knapp for himself and his wife, Ida Elenor SMITH, daughter of Harvey Sylvester SMITH & Soledad Catarina “Sallie” SEPULVEDA. Not long after the marriage Ida left the marital home. They had no children and never divorced. Ida died in 1999.

This piece regarding paranormal investigation.... Regarding "Ghost Ranch"...
This property has been known by a number of names, with one of the earliest being El Escorpion Ranch. It has been called "Knapp Ranch" and "Quail Run Ranch." I asked Michael Hanna to focus in on the name that Anna called it, something he had no way of finding out. I only found it after hours and hours of researching through old copies of a long-forgotten local newspaper.

Michael kept coming up with descriptions having to do with the sky, and based on what Anna named her mountain hide-away, I have to say he was pretty damn close! This is a quote from the old newspaper...

"9 March 1917, the Owensmouth Gazette reveals the original name of the ranch, as Annie called it.... the Eyrie. I quote: “Mrs. Gallow invites all the people of Owensmouth and vicinity to join in a picnic at her mountain home, the Eyrie, on Saturday, March 10. Arrangements will be made to have wagons at the foot of the mountain to carry those who are unable to walk up the trail.”"

She named it "The Eyrie" after a high place or eagle's nest.

In this photo, the man on the right is "Edwin "Eddie" Knapp, on of Frank, who owned the property you came across, Steve. Also, a .pdf with further information about Frank Knapp and the property you explored.

Knapp Ranch Research.pdf

Edwin Eddie Knapp in uniform.jpg

14 minutes ago, CindyN11 said:

I am going to post private notes from my team's private group. This info. was suppressed from the public on team blog.

Frank Knapp, Sr., father of Joseph who built the ranch, was a defrocked Catholic priest, who had formed a relationship with and impregnated, a young nun back in his native Switzerland/Austria. I mention both countries because Frank and his wife provide both of these on different census records, probably because the area they were born in was at one time a part of the Austria-Hungarian empire.

Any way, Frank went on to marry, but according to family history, NOT to the nun. Some question whether Frank, Jr., was the son of Frank, Sr. and the nun. I will be researching further in to this, to see what evidence comes up. Sometime after the birth of Frank, Jr. the family immigrated to the United States, where they became a prominent family in the Chatsworth/Canoga Park area.

Here is a photo of Frank, Sr., in his native country.

Frank Knapp.jpg

Anna SWAIN Gallow, the original homesteader, was married to a Joseph. For some reason they did not divorce and spent the majority of their marriage living apart, in different states or counties. They had no children. They did raise Anna's nephew, Frank L. Barrows, who appears to have been orphaned by age 2 years.

The last resident owner of the property was Virginia Maroney, who was the live-in lover of Joseph Knapp. The main house was built in 1940 by Joseph Knapp for himself and his wife, Ida Elenor SMITH, daughter of Harvey Sylvester SMITH & Soledad Catarina “Sallie” SEPULVEDA. Not long after the marriage Ida left the marital home. They had no children and never divorced. Ida died in 1999.

This piece regarding paranormal investigation.... Regarding "Ghost Ranch"...
This property has been known by a number of names, with one of the earliest being El Escorpion Ranch. It has been called "Knapp Ranch" and "Quail Run Ranch." I asked Michael Hanna to focus in on the name that Anna called it, something he had no way of finding out. I only found it after hours and hours of researching through old copies of a long-forgotten local newspaper.

Michael kept coming up with descriptions having to do with the sky, and based on what Anna named her mountain hide-away, I have to say he was pretty damn close! This is a quote from the old newspaper...

"9 March 1917, the Owensmouth Gazette reveals the original name of the ranch, as Annie called it.... the Eyrie. I quote: “Mrs. Gallow invites all the people of Owensmouth and vicinity to join in a picnic at her mountain home, the Eyrie, on Saturday, March 10. Arrangements will be made to have wagons at the foot of the mountain to carry those who are unable to walk up the trail.”"

She named it "The Eyrie" after a high place or eagle's nest 

Hi cyndy!  Sepulveda!?! I met some Sepulvedas and verdugos and pico descendants before. (Well, I actually met more than that but those are all I can remember off hand)

1 minute ago, El Polvo said:

Hi cyndy!  Sepulveda!?! I met some Sepulvedas and verdugos and pico descendants before. (Well, I actually met more than that but those are all I can remember off hand)

Same family, El :)

1 hour ago, CindyN11 said:

Whoa! You found the old mine??? Actually, descendants of the Knapp family still own this property. And yes, they do still work the mine once in a while.

There are several old mines farther back but I did not get to them. I could tell that somebody does go back and do a little something at the Benco mines based on the fact that there was one tire track and somebody had bothered to fix the washout on this portion of the road. There is some other mines or "lost" mines back there that some people were claiming to be some fabled Los Padres or Lost Padres gold mine. One of the managers of the land in the early 1900's supposedly was said to sell the claims claiming they were this special mine. There was also some sort of disputes and a few people were killed if I remember what I read correctly. I do know that one of the mines farther back is up in the Red Rock section that is ridiculously difficult to get to. Only a few people have been back there recently. 

Regarding the Knapp Ranch back up there it looks like the Forest Service may or acquired the land... and then let it go obviously if they did. Frank himself was said to have a lot of different animals up there on the Ranch that he gave weird names including a bobcat and deer. If he had deer that would explain the large chain link fenced area that was outside of the main house. After he died one of his horses remained wandering on the property for over a decade. 

I wish I had known all this stuff when I was up there making the video but I had to go up there and see the Mickey Mouse Ranch (or maybe it was something else but it was something from up there) written on the tower to produce results in a search that were usable as Knapp Ranch didn't really produce anything on this property when I searched before going up. 

8 minutes ago, SteveHazard said:

There are several old mines farther back but I did not get to them. I could tell that somebody does go back and do a little something at the Benco mines based on the fact that there was one tire track and somebody had bothered to fix the washout on this portion of the road. There is some other mines or "lost" mines back there that some people were claiming to be some fabled Los Padres or Lost Padres gold mine. One of the managers of the land in the early 1900's supposedly was said to sell the claims claiming they were this special mine. There was also some sort of disputes and a few people were killed if I remember what I read correctly. I do know that one of the mines farther back is up in the Red Rock section that is ridiculously difficult to get to. Only a few people have been back there recently. 

Regarding the Knapp Ranch back up there it looks like the Forest Service may or acquired the land... and then let it go obviously if they did. Frank himself was said to have a lot of different animals up there on the Ranch that he gave weird names including a bobcat and deer. If he had deer that would explain the large chain link fenced area that was outside of the main house. After he died one of his horses remained wandering on the property for over a decade. 

I wish I had known all this stuff when I was up there making the video but I had to go up there and see the Mickey Mouse Ranch (or maybe it was something else but it was something from up there) written on the tower to produce results in a search that were usable as Knapp Ranch didn't really produce anything on this property when I searched before going up. 

The Knapp family were (and are) pretty private people, so very little was ever published publicly. The wandering horse was eventually captured and brought to the ranch in Chatsworth, and the horse is actually buried there. I have a photo of the grave. The Forest Service did have the ranch property but I believe descendants have now managed to reclaim ownership of some of the property.

Is the Quail Run/Ghost Ranch in the Chatsworth/Rocky Peak area? The rocks look like those areas up there. But I was also up by the Lake Hughes area and saw a sign for a Quail Run up there too. Thank you for all the links will definitely be checking them all out when I get the time. 

31 minutes ago, CindyN11 said:

Thanks for all the info in these links. 

Also coincidentally I live on.... Knapp Street. 

44 minutes ago, SteveHazard said:

Is the Quail Run/Ghost Ranch in the Chatsworth/Rocky Peak area? The rocks look like those areas up there. But I was also up by the Lake Hughes area and saw a sign for a Quail Run up there too. Thank you for all the links will definitely be checking them all out when I get the time. 

I can't tell you the exact location, but if you ever want to explore the property I can secure permission for you. I have exclusive access, even though I now live in North Idaho. My Simi Valley/Chatsworth investigations team are still running and I send them there for more investigations :)

18 minutes ago, SteveHazard said:

Thanks for all the info in these links. 

Also coincidentally I live on.... Knapp Street. 

You must live in Chatsworth or Canoga Park area then :)