• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Found a pretty cool and beat old ranch today. The 5+ mile road to it was in perfect condition.... BEHIND A LOCKED GATE!!! Thank you forest service, I needed the exercise anyways on my mountain bike. This place had three main buildings. Found some better information on it after coming back with something that was written on the water tower. Seems like it was an interesting little place now completely forgotten. I want to go back and take more pictures and video now that I know more about it. Supposedly an old mine another couple miles back, wonder if anybody works it still. This place will most likely be gone completely the first fire that hits the area. Here's a couple pictures to get things started.  

20180517_142309.jpg

20180517_134826.jpg

20180517_134926.jpg

Might be an old movie ranch, which were pretty numerous in the early days of the motion picture industry. Lots of old Westerns were shot in the lower San Gabriels, Vasquez Rocks or westward from Hollywood between Simi Valley and Ventura before they discovered Red Rock Canyon and the Alabama Hills. Such ranches were semi working ranches or at least kept up cabins to accomodate cast and crew.

It's possible it may of been used in that capacity some at some time. I did find out that there were animals like bison and deer and the name on the water tower would be suggestive of it possibly being a film ranch... even though that wasn't the actually name of the place. 

The other house that was there.

20180517_135750.thumb.jpg.2beb53fee30d96c88913d0703ce11696.jpg

Usually movie set buildings have unusual layouts in the interior so that they can get lights and cameras in for good shots.   Rooms often missing walls, and typically plumbing and the like isn't even functional.  At least that's been the case on the sets I've been on.

I was thinking of accomodations for cast and crew. Ranches were used primarily for outdoor scenes. Sound stages back in Hollywood were used for indoor scenes.

They filmed interiors at Big Sky Movie Ranch.  The saloon,  hotel and 'little house on the prairie' house were all setup for filming interiors.   I think it depends on the time period and/or distance from studios.. or maybe the look they were going for?

When we shot Army of Darkness in Acton the sets they built were used for both interior and exterior shots, only a couple of crew stayed on site mostly just security/maintenance folks.  I'm not working from a large enough sample to generalize of course.

I wanted to do this in one go of a vid but the comp I have to edit on is a slow dying laptop. Unless anybody has any sugestions on how to edit vids on a POS Chromebook. Anyways here is part one that I put together.

M2 could perhaps be identification of some kind, cool place. Looking forward to other part(s).