• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Based on vistas I think I have the general area pinned down. Looks cool. Except if I lived there, it would always be on my mind, “what if?” As in what if this big rock suddenly decides to shift? :runaway:

The coordinates seem to be all over the net already, I'll not add them here but be happy to PM them to you if you're interested.  Seems like a fun area to explore anyway.

Sure, thank you. I doubt if I’ll get there, but it would satisfy my curiosity to see if I’m in the ballpark at my hunch where it is.

6 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Sounds like it may be worth a multi-day trip, we enjoy camping at Walker Lake anyway...

Haven’t checked my coordinates yet, but your reply confirmed my hunch ... B)

Speaking of Mount Grant.  Any idea if it's open?  I've read articles that say you have to get a key or someone on the base to unlock it, then other articles that say it's being completely opened up..   It's one of the places I'd like to get to, just to check it out.. also would be interesting to see how my carburated moto runs at that elevation .....

2 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Speaking of Mount Grant.  Any idea if it's open?  I've read articles that say you have to get a key or someone on the base to unlock it, then other articles that say it's being completely opened up..   It's one of the places I'd like to get to, just to check it out.. also would be interesting to see how my carburated moto runs at that elevation .....

You need permission to go to mount grant. They never completely open it.

If you go to the Nevada Seismological Lab webcams at:

http://www.alertwildfire.org/tahoe/firecams.html

Click the TV Hill cam, whick generally looks south. Sometimes they turn it other directions. I don’t know for certain whick peak the camera is on, but figure it in the Lucky Boy area of the Wassuk. The current view takes in the Aurora area, part of Mono Basin, the Sierra Nevada and the northern White Mountains.

It shows on the map about where that camera is. Thanks for that link with all those peak cameras. Wonder if we can see anything out of them in the winter. Always good to know where to get live conditions of different places. Thanks. 

Generally the cameras show well in winter unless winds pack snow on the lenses, or there is heavy fog. Cameras get turned occasionally. Sometimes there is a view in the thumbnail, but nothing shows indicating the camera is offline.