• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Backwoods Beast

Blew my Jeep Engine

So I blew my jeep engine and Sadly I will have to take a short break from Exploring until I can get back on the road.

hope all is well with everyone,

John G.

:(

2 hours ago, SteveHazard said:

Damn that's gotta hurt. And here I was annoyed that I ripped the mud flaps off my Tacoma today. 

I got tired of the front ones getting ripped off years ago, lost one, removed the other and tossed it; and run rears only.

Ugh, that sucks.  4.0 motor?  Those should be a dime-a-dozen at the local wreckers.  Of course condition is always a concern, so you might go with a rebuild anyway.  Fortunately, the 4.0 is easy to tear down (even maybe a little easier than the AMC 4.2 in the CJ).  Get the deck and the heads machined and trued up, new rings and bearings, perhaps a good valve grinding, and you'll be back in business. 

Anyway, how'd you blow it up? 

On 8/3/2018 at 10:01 PM, David A. Wright said:

I got tired of the front ones getting ripped off years ago, lost one, removed the other and tossed it; and run rears only.

I took mine off an hour after I picked it up.  But the rock chips got excessive.  I took the flaps and trimmed them short, then put them back on.  Now the flaps seem to be the 'right' length and I don't sandblast the crap out of my truck. 

9 hours ago, desertdog said:

I took mine off an hour after I picked it up.  But the rock chips got excessive.  I took the flaps and trimmed them short, then put them back on.  Now the flaps seem to be the 'right' length and I don't sandblast the crap out of my truck. 

In deep snow and in reverse, the flaps get pushed into the tires, which often pulled them off. In the snowy winter of 2005, I was in Reno, with two and three feet of snow in the parking lots. It was in one of those parking lots I lost one flap. Didn’t notice it until the next day at home in Big Pine. The dealer price was too high and I never liked the sound of the flaps getting crunched during hardrock crawling, so it was no big deal to me to toss the other. My TRD Tacoma has a thick, rough, painted coating on the rockers, which have resisted chipping very well.

Thanks for replying guys. I bought a 2010 Nissan Xterra. Still need to get better tires and a tow package before she/s ready for the desert. But only 36k miles so I'm happy with the purchase.

On 9/15/2018 at 8:32 AM, SteveHazard said:

2010 with 36K? What grandma did you scoop that off of with such low miles put on it in 8 years? 

I had my 2004 Tacoma until late 2012.  When I got rid of it (merely because of size and space issues + growing family), it had under 40k on it.  A good chunk of that was highway miles to/from where I was going.  But there were also a significant number of miles involving some *very* hard use offroad.  I never intentionally abused it, and it was always properly maintained.  Whoever ended up with it was not getting a 'granny wagon', though.  That truck carried a lot of dead stuff back home, went to some freaking wild places, and was put through its paces. 

Still miss that little rig, too. 

On 9/15/2018 at 7:29 AM, Backwoods Beast said:

Thanks for replying guys. I bought a 2010 Nissan Xterra. Still need to get better tires and a tow package before she/s ready for the desert. But only 36k miles so I'm happy with the purchase.

How's the new ride holding up? 

54 minutes ago, El Polvo said:

The 05-09 Nissan Frontier/xterra had a problem with the radiator/trans cooler cross contamination due to early corrosion. The 10 was the first year to eliminate the problem. 

The extended the radiator warranty to cover this, I believe for 10 years although may have been lifetime.  A lot of people (including myself) bypassed the cooler built into the rad as a preventative.  Those with trans temp gauges reported minor increase in trans temp while towing but nothing concerning.  The theory at the time was is wasn't a trans cooler as much as a trans heater to get the trans up to temp faster...

I ended up replacing the radiator on my '07 at about 85k, started leaking.  Did the thermostat and water pump at the same time of course.  Traded it in when I bought the ram, got a decent deal at the time and there was a guy on the lot already asking about purchasing it 😉  Suspect it's still running around Carson.

53 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

The extended the radiator warranty to cover this, I believe for 10 years although may have been lifetime.  A lot of people (including myself) bypassed the cooler built into the rad as a preventative.  Those with trans temp gauges reported minor increase in trans temp while towing but nothing concerning.  The theory at the time was is wasn't a trans cooler as much as a trans heater to get the trans up to temp faster...

I ended up replacing the radiator on my '07 at about 85k, started leaking.  Did the thermostat and water pump at the same time of course.  Traded it in when I bought the ram, got a decent deal at the time and there was a guy on the lot already asking about purchasing it 😉  Suspect it's still running around Carson.

My 05 had the relay on the ecu go out but there was a service bulliten on it and  they fixed it free. I never had the contamination on that one.  I sold it at 135k 

On 12/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, Bob said:

How's the new ride holding up? 

I love it, It's not as gnarly as my jeep but it get the job done. Really would like to get a quad though to get to some of these far out places.