• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

desertdog

Missing: Brad Dozier - Alpine County

Hey folks,

Just wanted to get this out there:

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/10/30/missing-hiker-alpine-county-bradford-dozier/

I know at least a few regulars explore and hike in Alpine County (California), I'm sure the family would appreciate all the help they can get. 

The Alpine County Sheriff's Office put out a call for mutual aid earlier this week and received help from several counties.  They put out a second MA request yesterday to tap more distant county SAR teams, including mine.  We couldn't make a presence today (short notice), but we're sending a team (including me) up early tomorrow AM for the 11/1 operational period. 

Information is thin and I won't know more until briefing tomorrow at 0700 (which means leaving town between 0200 and 0300).  I have spent a lot of time in the area where his vehicle was found, usually during and before deer season, so I have a small advantage compared to searchers that are not familiar with the area.  In the end, I'm just a grunt, and I don't make search decisions for Incident Command staff.  We go where we're told and search until we're done or told to come back. 

If anyone is out there (even this weekend), and sees him, mark a waypoint, make contact, or let someone (Deputy, SAR team, etc) know.  If you find anything that might be his (pack, shirt, hat, etc.), leave it in place, mark a waypoint, and get that info to the Sheriff's Office ASAP.  Leaving things in place can be helpful if there are K9 resources to deploy for tracking. 

Thanks folks. 

Hope he is found and safe.

The news clip said his vehicle was at Evergreen Trail... is this at the top of Upper Blue Lake? 

Hello to All:

Thankful that more search and rescue professionals are heading up there, I know that there are many up there now, but with more, more ground can get covered.  I am a friend of the family, Brad is an avid hiker who can cover long distances in a single day, so he may have gone further than you would think.  He has a wonderful family, wife and three children.  I remain optimistic that they will find him soon.  In the meantime, prayers for a speedy and safe return are needed and welcomed.

Yes, his car was found parked on the road leading to the campground at Upper Blue Lake.

Edited by BRUIN
clarification

21 hours ago, SteveHazard said:

Hope he is found and safe.

The news clip said his vehicle was at Evergreen Trail... is this at the top of Upper Blue Lake? 

yes it is..its the trail to Summit City Canyon.

Our team is back home now.  Since we're "Type 2" and not "Type 1" (for this search, a distinction w/out difference IMO), our services were not wanted for Operational Period(OP) 5. 

On the way home, we got a page from our own SO and our Duty Officer for an in-county search that kicked off about 60 minutes ago (missing 56 y/o male subject in a large open space preserve).  Since I got home at ~1230 this morning, there was no way for me to make that search.  If I can get out of training for tomorrow, I'll volunteer to pound ground for the day. 

For the record, if you want to engage in what I consider very hands-on and *meaningful* service to your community, have the skills and physical ability, as well as the desire to do very hard work, and feel that you genuinely have something to give back so that others may live, consider joining your local SAR unit. 

You'll see great places, meet driven, determined, intelligent people, learn invaluable skills, and perhaps play a small part in bringing families together under some of the worst conditions you can imagine. 

OK I'm not up in the area now but I was curious if I had the right spot or not. It is another one of those generic names that other places are also called. Far too many places with names with Bear, Grouse, Pine, Green, Grass, etc, in them. Stay hopeful he will be found OK.