• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

braindead0

*SOLD* Garrett ACE 250 metal detector - $100 - Reno, NV

Comes with 2 coils (normal and a smaller one for deeper/more precise).  Even in the middle of nowhere, the quantity of useless junk was just too much for me... never found anything interesting really... .

I know the feeling Brenden, I spent some time metal detecting and I don't have the patience for it. 

I've only used borrowed detectors, but I find it lots of fun.  It's really an ear-training hobby more than anything else.  When I've been able to borrow one, I've found all sorts of neat stuff.  A friend of mine, using the exact same model (I was borrowing his spare) found a commemorative medal of the US Pacific Squadron's 1903 voyage at Seven Troughs. 

The stuff is out there for sure, definitely requires some time and effort though.  Lots of junk gets dug up, but when I would pull out YET ANOTHER CAN, I'd have fun with it, show it off, explain it was a 'late '73 Pepsi can, the only year they had blue #54 instead of blue #53 on the can, etc.  It's what you make of it, I suppose. :)

Take a look at any Desert Magazine after the mid 1950s and you will see many ads for metal detectors. They caught on big by the 1960s and every unprotected ghost town became a target and were stripped of the majority of their treasures. I suppose today the odds of finding anything really neat is about like trying to strike it rich by gold panning the streams of the Mother Lode today. The free gold and relics were gone after the first big wave of those searching.

As I understand is there are still a lot of nuggets to be found, however to go 'nugget shooting' you need much more specialized equipment...  I suspect beaches are still a good place to find the occasional modern day treasure..

With so many Federal laws, it's not even worth the effort. Seems you're always breaking some Federal law when metal detecting. At least, that's how I feel when I am out there. I just don't have the patience to dig up so many nails, pull tabs, etc, and when I do finally something interesting, I have to leave it behind or break some stupid federal law.  I did find a bunch of change once in a location in the middle of nowhere. Was a weird find, but nothing too old or worth anything. Just the location for a pile of clad was strange.  It's the same reason I don't really use a drone anymore, so many dumb federal, state, county laws regarding the flying of a drone. I still might get another one when I am back in Nevada where I can fly it without any problems. The federal government needs to be downsized! 

Guy emailed, wanted it NOW..  he lost a valve retainer in the lawn while working on a car.. magnets weren't finding it...  I think he wanted to try out metal detecting as well, seems those wide magnets on wheels that construction crews use to clean up nails would have done the job 😉