• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bob

UTV's? Suggestions?

In about two months I plan on buying a 4 seat UTV, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I need one that can get us almost anywhere since I have so many places in Nevada I need to get to and explore. Most of the places I go have washed out roads that are not maintained. Just wondering if there is anything specific I should look for when I go UTV shopping. 

I think you'll be reading a lot of forum posts in the researching process.  One thing I noticed is that he larger UTV's are darned near as big as a 4door Jeep Wrangler.. and can cost about as much. 

Probably the most important thing is to be honest about what you'll really need.  A rzr 1000 turbo sure would be fun, but when compared to a Ranger or  Pioneer the 2 foot + of longer wheelbase makes a huge difference in where you can make it fit.  Also think about what you'll want to do/spend on shoring up any shortcomings.  Fuel capacity, better skid plates..etc.. may play into it. 

And of course take on-line complaints/bitching with a grain of salt.  Most everything has some little problems that are easily amplified by the online echo chamber.

Oh yeah, check our brands for events where you can get in and try them out... most have that sorta thing going on...

That's what I have noticed, they cost almost as much as a Jeep, which keeps me going back and forth between a UTV or maybe an older Jeep that I can trick out. I can either tow a UTV, or just drive a Jeep right to the trail. But then I also like having my tow vehicle as a back up vehicle in case the UTV gets stuck / breaks down. 

You'll also find that your tow vehicle will be a ton more comfortable for long road trips, leaving you much more 'fresh' for exploring using the more appropriate tool. Same reason I load my bike into the truck.  The main problem with older Jeeps is that by and large they tend to be poorly modified so you might end up throwing a ton of money into one to fix the 'mods' the prior owner screwed up. 

I think your willingness to tinker vs. desire to just get in and drive will be a good guiding factor. 

what you really need are a few of these: https://www.txpowersports.com/Trail_Master_Super_Traxx_200cc_Tracked_Vehicle_UTV_p/trailmaster-supertraxx.ht ;-)

Another option to consider might be a couple of ATV's that can handle 2 up when necessary. That might be more flexible, provides a backup vehicle and could be more fun for others (IF they have the urge to drive).  Might be less carrying capacity however most ATV's can have racks front and rear.. so maybe not.   No shade though, and that might be a huge factor.

There are places pretty much every major area of NV where you can rent ATV's/UTV's or at least go on guided tours driving them.  That'd be another option to get your feet wet...

You've saved me a ton of time Brenden, I really appreciate your help. I like the idea of renting one for a day, would be $$ well spent! 

Something else that just occurred to me...  You've got a successful youtube channel, it may be possible to get sponsorship. Local Kioti dealer has been advertising a lot up here, maybe you can get a super deal on one of these: http://www.kioti.com/products/utility-vehicles/mechron-2400-ps/

I'd think at the least you may be able to get service/parts/accessories manufactures to give you cheap or free stuff to 'test out'..  Not sure if that fits with your plans, but may be an option.

On 12/11/2018 at 5:44 PM, David A. Wright said:

Interesting, but the specs aren't very impressive.  Weighs nearly as much as a base jep wrangler.  Diesel is nice, but 12 gallon fuel tank isn't very impressive.  The vehicle 'specs' is mostly marketing mumbo jumbo such as "big wheels and brakes, high tech tires".  Nearly the same size as a 2dr wrangler, maybe exactly the same as they don't include spare tire on the rear (not sure if Jeep does either).  

I suspect stock leaf spring suspension isn't going to be good for much without a upgrading.   I think these are a cheap Jeep clone sold in India (made by Mahindra) being imported for off road use.  I don't think this compares well to any modern UTV. 

Where do you get service?  They don't say who manufactures the diesel, possibly Mahindra so should be easy to get parts from a tractor store maybe?

Base model on their 'configurator' price is 15,999.  No heat, no sound system, no mirror, no windshield maybe no doors not sure on that.  Stock I'm not sure how it's in the same class as a UTV...

The Roxor seems like a waste of money.  $16k base for a CJ-something clone?  I'd rather drop 1/3 of that on something like this:

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/78-j-5-jeep-v8-4-sp-very/6773583646.html

And spend another 5k going through it.  And keep the last 5k for gas.  More fun, more flexible, immense aftermarket. 

Or I might even consider going to something with the 4.0L HO and doing the same.  All you miss out on is a Indian-tweaked French 4 cylinder diesel motor.  And if you really, really want a diesel in a Jeep, buy cheap and do a swap.  No, it's not turnkey.  Yes, it will take time and effort.  Most things worth doing take time and effort, though. 

Oh, and I have yet to see a CJ/YJ/XJ, etc.-style Jeep that didn't have a spare mounted on the back end.  Have they stopped doing that recently?

I think they just cheap out, if you want the spare tire carrier it's probably an option.  My 2013 has the spare mounted on the back...

I’m with the older CJ’s like the CJ5 the Ed showed. The cj’s and earlier wranglers are abundant cheap and have parts gallore, stock and aftermarket.  One of my sons just pick up a little TJ Wrangler for next to nothing. He’s got it lifted and big tires now 

1A70EE69-093B-48FA-A215-4322EDB1C96E.jpeg

If you can find an unmolested older Jeep that the owner hasn't installed 20k worth of junk (and thinks the price should reflect that), can't really go wrong. 

However IMO it's not the same class as a UTV, you'll be able to get to the same places (with enough/right modifications) in my experience a purpose built vehicle will do it much faster and with less drama.  I'd think you can 4 down town a jeep behind your Armada, however proper tow and brake setup may cost as much as a trailer for UTV's (if not more, some of those tow setups are spensive).

in the end it's all about finding the right trade offs....