Jump to content

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Bob

I Have Been Gone For A Long Time

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, desertdog said:

That's precisely what I try to do.  I have put off a lot of "wants" (though not all of them) since I got married 19 years ago, and so has the wife.  She comes from a big family, and I'm an only kid, so she is wayyyy more frugal than I am.  Even so, I'm pretty good at saving money and putting off unimportant stuff.  For the first time in a long time, she asked for something rather expensive for the holidays (a Silhouette Cameo for her craft stuff), so I ended up buying it, and lots of related goodies, for her. 

Plus with 2 little ones, we are saving money to put them through good grammar schools, good high schools, and eventually decent colleges.  At least as much as we can with college, we want them to both avoid the debt trap.  They can pay that forward for their own babies, some day.  I really wish they taught debt avoidance in school, too. 

And watching the stock market lately, I know that shitstorm is coming,  How big and bad it will be, I do not know.  But it's coming, and with the market looking like a 5-6 month lead indicator, summer 2019 may prove to be very interesting....

 

In public school they push student loan debt hard on the kids, promising them everything in the world if they get those student loans and go to college. It should be outlawed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see you back, Bob! I hope you and your family are able to continue having wonderful adventures. What an excellent education for the kids as well. Sorry I have also been away for so long. Like you, life got in the way and took over like a steamroller. I believe I can provide you with that Plan B for future revenue if you want to write books about what you are exploring and finding, and maybe about your story of giving up everything for a life on the road. My publishers are looking for more of this content.

Oh, and apologies for removing a lot of my photos. My publisher required it since they are being included in some of my books. Nothing against your forum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 12:54 PM, Bob said:

In public school they push student loan debt hard on the kids, promising them everything in the world if they get those student loans and go to college. It should be outlawed! 

+10000.  Not everyone will benefit from college, and the 'experience' is worthless.   Public schooling has one purpose IMO, stunting actual growth and keeping people dependent on others.  With a side order of training them to never complete any job... when the buzzer goes off get  to the next factory workstation asap! 

I think most kids outta H.S. would benefit far more from getting a job ASAP and learning a good work ethic.  Then when they really grow up and unlearn the public schooling, then perhaps they can decide for themselves with their own goals in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, desertdog said:

That's precisely what I try to do.  I have put off a lot of "wants" (though not all of them) since I got married 19 years ago, and so has the wife.  She comes from a big family, and I'm an only kid, so she is wayyyy more frugal than I am.  Even so, I'm pretty good at saving money and putting off unimportant stuff.  For the first time in a long time, she asked for something rather expensive for the holidays (a Silhouette Cameo for her craft stuff), so I ended up buying it, and lots of related goodies, for her. 

Plus with 2 little ones, we are saving money to put them through good grammar schools, good high schools, and eventually decent colleges.  At least as much as we can with college, we want them to both avoid the debt trap.  They can pay that forward for their own babies, some day.  I really wish they taught debt avoidance in school, too. 

And watching the stock market lately, I know that shitstorm is coming,  How big and bad it will be, I do not know.  But it's coming, and with the market looking like a 5-6 month lead indicator, summer 2019 may prove to be very interesting....

 

 Yeah, your wife being from a big family, I kinda know about that.too. When the old man was killed, there was only 6 of us kids at home. There was 9 of us in all. When I hear ladies these days talk about how hard it is being a single mom I just kinda smerk. Money goes through my hands like friggin water.  One thing other I thought you had the right idea is teaching your kids how to hunt, dress out and prepare food. They just might need those skills before this shit starts coming back from catastrophe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, SteveHazard said:

Facebook I think is the site I have ALWAYS disliked. They've always wanted you to register to just view half the stuff on there and the stuff you can has the sign up/login box covering half the screen and this is because they are in the business of data mining you and essential using or selling that information. Not that other platforms do not also do this but I always got the feeling that Facebook was designed to do this first. At least that has been my impression as a non user that avoids using it and doesn't have a real account there. 

So, with the negative news about Facebook today and the fallout, you think more will come here and become forum refugees?  :tard:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David A. Wright said:

So, with the negative news about Facebook today and the fallout, you think more will come here and become forum refugees?  :tard:

I hate Facebook.  Zuckerberg and Sanders should be taken out and terminated with extreme prejudice with the CEOs of the other tech companies watching.  Google has become an evil all controlling empire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. I’m glad I held fast to this forum and a couple others. Partly because I just plain like forums, partly because I’m suspicious of some aspects of the internet explosion, partly because I miss the glory days of the early days (late ‘90s, early ‘00s) of the Death Valley forums where I was able to connect with other authors and enthusiasts.

I’ve followed links a few times into Facebook land, whereupon I was smacked in the face by their cyber brick wall blocking content and access without joining. I’ve never ventured into Twitter, and with all the negativity of posts from there served up daily on network news I have no intent ever going there. I seldom post photos so have no need for Instagram. And as for Spotify, I haven’t a clue as to its purpose and is there a cleaner for the spotify on my carpet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the changing American job market. Where people loose their figurative lives and are retrained to give all in return for a few crumbs. I grew up a child of the once typical middle class family. I spent the majority of my working years working for the government and middle class industrial. But I witnessed and watched the beginning years of the new culture of downsizing and decimation of the middle class. I spent my last working years working among the increasing numbers in customer service work with little and no control over work scheduals, low pay and decreasing benefits. So glad I’m retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David A. Wright said:

Sounds like the changing American job market. Where people loose their figurative lives and are retrained to give all in return for a few crumbs. I grew up a child of the once typical middle class family. I spent the majority of my working years working for the government and middle class industrial. But I witnessed and watched the beginning years of the new culture of downsizing and decimation of the middle class. I spent my last working years working among the increasing numbers in customer service work with little and no control over work scheduals, low pay and decreasing benefits. So glad I’m retired.

You nailed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David A. Wright said:

So, with the negative news about Facebook today and the fallout, you think more will come here and become forum refugees?  :tard:

Looked it up after reading your comment. Not surprised. I'd love to see people migrate away from that site as I think there are just countless things bad about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have multiple sock puppet FB accounts, filled with B.S. information.   I find FB to be a treasure trove of information (the kind that shouldn't be public) and I'm happy to make use of it when necessary.  I've also shutdown scam pages on FB, only way to report requires an account.  So far nobody has reported any of my fake accounts... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a good example of why I would not recommend relying on ad revenue as a means of income: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/12/how-3ves-bgp-hijackers-eluded-the-internet-and-made-29m/

Summary: a sophisticated hacking group was able to commit $29 million dollars of ad fraud.  All of that money spent by who knows how many businesses was completely wasted.  It's very likely to have been from many advertisers and may be ignored for now, but these fraud schemes are getting much harder to prevent much more complex and much bigger.

It's an arms race playing out pretty much just like attempts to copy protect software and apply DRM to media, doomed to failure.   It'll take time for this bubble to burst, how long.. nobody knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The internet is truly a web - a dangerous, poisonous, and nearly solid cobweb. Every aspect of our lives is in the thick, foglike cloud of zeros and ones. I am not nieve so know there currently no escaping it, but by my taking simple but conistant measures (free) have protected my wife and I to date. But I know one day nasty surprise will come out of the blue and hit us where it hurts, so try to have something to weather it best as we can.

I Google my name now and then to see what pops up. In the past, such things as email address, physical address, mailing adress and phone numbers were available to paying customers. I found a website publishing all that, plus cell phone numbers, family members, in laws and all their info for free. Needless to say, I’m not happy.

That, and it is a sad state of affairs is that criminals and terrorists and their online activity is protected under law. John Q. Public is in their crosshairs and unprotected by the government’s green light for them to exploit and kill us. Their privacy is protected, ours is not. Our unprotected state is currency and many have become obscenely wealthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only protected, the government activity supports the activities by making government records easily accessible.  If you own property in your name, that information is trivial to access.  Where is gets problematic is when they start putting together more details... enough and they can steal your identity.

Very little of my information is available online, in addition there is a fairly famous hockey player with the same name (middle name included) which helps obfuscate my information as it's easy to get missed when the first several pages of my name are 'that guy'.  Much of the rest of the information is bogus, I've been feeding garbage into the system for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2018 at 12:23 PM, CindyN11 said:

Great to see you back, Bob! I hope you and your family are able to continue having wonderful adventures. What an excellent education for the kids as well. Sorry I have also been away for so long. Like you, life got in the way and took over like a steamroller. I believe I can provide you with that Plan B for future revenue if you want to write books about what you are exploring and finding, and maybe about your story of giving up everything for a life on the road. My publishers are looking for more of this content.

Oh, and apologies for removing a lot of my photos. My publisher required it since they are being included in some of my books. Nothing against your forum :)

Great to hear Cindy, and no worries about the photos, I didn't even know you had removed any. Of course they are yours to do as you see fit, but we always enjoy seeing them. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2018 at 7:11 PM, Jack Freer said:

I hate Facebook.  Zuckerberg and Sanders should be taken out and terminated with extreme prejudice with the CEOs of the other tech companies watching.  Google has become an evil all controlling empire.

I hope some other platform will come out for video creators, something not related to Google. The monopoly needs to be broken up. 

On 12/19/2018 at 7:21 PM, David A. Wright said:

Yup. I’m glad I held fast to this forum and a couple others. Partly because I just plain like forums, partly because I’m suspicious of some aspects of the internet explosion, partly because I miss the glory days of the early days (late ‘90s, early ‘00s) of the Death Valley forums where I was able to connect with other authors and enthusiasts.

I’ve followed links a few times into Facebook land, whereupon I was smacked in the face by their cyber brick wall blocking content and access without joining. I’ve never ventured into Twitter, and with all the negativity of posts from there served up daily on network news I have no intent ever going there. I seldom post photos so have no need for Instagram. And as for Spotify, I haven’t a clue as to its purpose and is there a cleaner for the spotify on my carpet?

If it weren't for my YouTube channel, I would never use Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 10:31 AM, braindead0 said:

Here's a good example of why I would not recommend relying on ad revenue as a means of income: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/12/how-3ves-bgp-hijackers-eluded-the-internet-and-made-29m/

Summary: a sophisticated hacking group was able to commit $29 million dollars of ad fraud.  All of that money spent by who knows how many businesses was completely wasted.  It's very likely to have been from many advertisers and may be ignored for now, but these fraud schemes are getting much harder to prevent much more complex and much bigger.

It's an arms race playing out pretty much just like attempts to copy protect software and apply DRM to media, doomed to failure.   It'll take time for this bubble to burst, how long.. nobody knows.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bob said:

I hope some other platform will come out for video creators, something not related to Google. The monopoly needs to be broken up. 

If it weren't for my YouTube channel, I would never use Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. 

I agree.  Too many companies and groups only use Facebook for their web presence.  They to start work on something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob, You're Truly an inspiration. Keep up the great work!  I remember when I found you almost 2 years ago you were barely over 100k and now you've blown up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×