• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bob

I Have Been Gone For A Long Time

Hey all,

I have been gone for a long time focusing on my YouTube channel, which grew faster and larger than I had ever imagined. YouTube has become my full time job and I have been traveling non-stop for the last two years living in vacation rentals while supporting my family of six. It's been a very interesting experience, but definitely worth all the drama, uncertainty, and work. 

I gave up everything to chase the YouTube dream, and so far it's working out. I sold everything I had, put what little I didn't sell into storage, and risked it all for the dream. There have been many times I have thought I had made a mistake, or we fell into heavy debt trying to continue to finance our work. But in the end, perseverance has paid off! If you are one of the millions trying to make it on YouTube, never give up! All it takes is one video to take you to the next level! 

So far I have been exploring Nevada, California, Arizona, Utah, and a little Idaho. If you like exploring abandoned places in the middle of nowhere, Nevada has them all beat by far, there is just no comparison. 

I have neglected this forum during that time, but you all have kept it on life support; therefore I am going to make a concerted effort to post on here at least once a day. I might even start pushing it on my social media sites to get more activity over here. 

I have added new spam fighting measures and will probably upgrade the server. Forums were upgraded last night.

A big thank you to @desertdog for texting me that the domain name had expired. That's how much I had neglected this site. 

Bob, I'm glad you followed your dream.  Or more to the point, that you had the courage to do it and you had the support of your family to do it. 

It's not easy making massive changes like that, especially multiple changes at the same time.  I'm in the same boat now, not with YT, and it's not easy.  I thought it would be, but I was wrong. 

It's good to see you back around these parts, but I think we all understand that work, whatever form it takes, comes first.

7 hours ago, desertdog said:

Bob, I'm glad you followed your dream.  Or more to the point, that you had the courage to do it and you had the support of your family to do it. 

It's not easy making massive changes like that, especially multiple changes at the same time.  I'm in the same boat now, not with YT, and it's not easy.  I thought it would be, but I was wrong. 

It's good to see you back around these parts, but I think we all understand that work, whatever form it takes, comes first.

Ed, how is everything going with your situation? 

On 12/10/2018 at 6:19 PM, braindead0 said:

Good for you!  I'm sure it wasn't easy money, you'd have to put in a lot of work to make that feasible..

Thanks Brenden, the adpocolypse nearly destroyed the channel, but thankfully we continued to push ahead and so far things are looking pretty good again. YouTube is also a PITA platform, they have zero communication with creators and YouTube is run by social justice warriors. Gun videos are pretty much demonetized, if not completely deleted, without warning or explanation. I had a bunch of firearm videos planned, but had to change course due to all their nonsensical rules. 

I'm hoping you have an exit plan.  I think the world of internet advertising has been in a bubble for quite a while, with very little solid proof that it's providing any ROI.  If belts have to tighten I'd expect most businesses to cut.   However I could be completely wrong and maybe this is the future of advertising... it' snot my forte 😉

51 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

I'm hoping you have an exit plan.  I think the world of internet advertising has been in a bubble for quite a while, with very little solid proof that it's providing any ROI.  If belts have to tighten I'd expect most businesses to cut.   However I could be completely wrong and maybe this is the future of advertising... it' snot my forte 😉

I have had a similar discussion with people for decades, and it always centers on observable effects vs. lack of a control.  It's hard to tell if advertising or lack thereof creates much of an impact, especially on established brands.  The marketeers measure all the 'soft' data, and the bean counters measure the bottom line.  But neither can tell you what happened if there was no advertising published for a brand/product.  The infer or assume that advertising is a necessity for sales growth, but they can never actually prove it. 

Since they can't prove it, they err towards allocating dollars for advertising budgets - sometimes more, sometimes less.  Non-advertising brands do exist, though they are sort of rare animals.  So I suspect advertising will continue unabated.  But, I concede that newer technologies (ML, AI) could allow for gathering of data, or even conducting experiments, in which there is a true "no advertising" control in some sort of simulation.  If that's the case, I would expect the results to shift behaviors in some unknown direction. 

As for an exit strategy, that's an excellent question and one I'd never considered (never needed to).  For that I would start looking at the market for 'exploration', demographics, disposable income, and probably some other factors I can't think of.  That, or else start working on a new profession.  If I had it to do all over again, I would probably become a certified maritime welder and keep that skill fresh and in my back pocket.  As it stands, if plans work out, I hope to get some formal welding training and CNC training.  The cool stuff doesn't build itself.

8 hours ago, Bob said:

Ed, how is everything going with your situation? 

As well as it can.  Things take too long, and I don't have a lot of time to play with.  Holidays are impacting schedules drastically.

Not that my tiny channel is even monetizable but I put incorrect categorizations on some of my hunting vids for the purpose hopefully avoiding unwanted algorithm attention because I don't want something deleted or age restricted.

As far as ad revenue I've  always thought that vids, media, etc should be used to advertise and sell your own product first and then others secondary if it meshes. This is just a spare time example but I have my 1st person bird hunting vids that get decent traction for my tiny channel. So in my spare time at night I made a bunch of quail calls out of a random pieces of walnut from old furniture that broke beyond repair (instead of throwing them away). Gave a couple away and threw out that I had more to sell for people that wanted them. The vid has just over 200 views and I sold a decent amount of calls not even having an online marketplace setup and giving a few away. Not that it's profitable with all things considered but I thought it an interesting example as I'm guessing ad revenue from a couple hundred views would be pennies.  

Ed what kind of things would you do welding? I used to incorporate a lot of welding and bent metal into furniture building but haven't recently due to a really nasty attack from a sick family member and his revolving band of criminals. Trying to get back into it but I've not been able to yet. 

16 hours ago, braindead0 said:

No exit plan, but definitely a diversification of income stream from the videos and becoming a brand instead of just a YouTube channel. You can make a ton of money with sponsors, affiliates, etc. I have learned to diversify my income strategy from YouTube, and it's working great and allows me to continue to produce the content the viewers want. 

On the other hand, it does seem that "abandoned" in general is somewhat dying on YouTube. Far too many creators fake their content and make it so extreme that general abandoned content by itself is no longer interesting. This is also what happened to the prank genre, the fakers killed it. This means you have to also be willing to change and adapt. 

9 hours ago, SteveHazard said:

Not that my tiny channel is even monetizable but I put incorrect categorizations on some of my hunting vids for the purpose hopefully avoiding unwanted algorithm attention because I don't want something deleted or age restricted.

As far as ad revenue I've  always thought that vids, media, etc should be used to advertise and sell your own product first and then others secondary if it meshes. This is just a spare time example but I have my 1st person bird hunting vids that get decent traction for my tiny channel. So in my spare time at night I made a bunch of quail calls out of a random pieces of walnut from old furniture that broke beyond repair (instead of throwing them away). Gave a couple away and threw out that I had more to sell for people that wanted them. The vid has just over 200 views and I sold a decent amount of calls not even having an online marketplace setup and giving a few away. Not that it's profitable with all things considered but I thought it an interesting example as I'm guessing ad revenue from a couple hundred views would be pennies.  

Ed what kind of things would you do welding? I used to incorporate a lot of welding and bent metal into furniture building but haven't recently due to a really nasty attack from a sick family member and his revolving band of criminals. Trying to get back into it but I've not been able to yet. 

I can attest to the ability to sell on YouTube, if you have a product, YouTube is a great way to sell it and create a brand for yourself ... no matter how small your channel is. 

Hate to be a spoil sport, but I’ve been on earth long enough to see lots of cultures, countries, regimes, jobs, brands, economies and fads come and go.

No matter how good you think you have it now, keep something in reserve and keep a Plan B ready because the next big thing is going to come and your current big thing is going to go.

Yes, many have become obscenely wealthy on Internet offerings. An example is among the group of wealthy young people who recently bought Cerro Gordo ghost town is a young Bohemian type who became wealthy by cleverly spinning a certain type of mushroom into a Internet sensation and has people lining up to buy his magic mushrooms for huge amounts of money.

But by and large the things I’ve seen people grow wealthy on have no substance, no real value, thus not sustainable when the economic bubble bursts or even slowly deflates. Magic mushrooms will be the least thing on people’s minds when they suddenly find themselves scrambling to figure out how they are going to keep from loosing all the toys in their toy boxes as well keep hold of things of real value and purchase basic necessities.

Modern life and economy is becoming more based on 1s and 0s speeding along at the speed of light. At some point a 1 or a 0 just might derail and this whole house of cards will collapse. I’ve seen it before. I might live long enough to see it again.

2 hours ago, David A. Wright said:

Hate to be a spoil sport, but I’ve been on earth long enough to see lots of cultures, countries, regimes, jobs, brands, economies and fads come and go.

No matter how good you think you have it now, keep something in reserve and keep a Plan B ready because the next big thing is going to come and your current big thing is going to go.

Yes, many have become obscenely wealthy on Internet offerings. An example is among the group of wealthy young people who recently bought Cerro Gordo ghost town is a young Bohemian type who became wealthy by cleverly spinning a certain type of mushroom into a Internet sensation and has people lining up to buy his magic mushrooms for huge amounts of money.

But by and large the things I’ve seen people grow wealthy on have no substance, no real value, thus not sustainable when the economic bubble bursts or even slowly deflates. Magic mushrooms will be the least thing on people’s minds when they suddenly find themselves scrambling to figure out how they are going to keep from loosing all the toys in their toy boxes as well keep hold of things of real value and purchase basic necessities.

Modern life and economy is becoming more based on 1s and 0s speeding along at the speed of light. At some point a 1 or a 0 just might derail and this whole house of cards will collapse. I’ve seen it before. I might live long enough to see it again.

Yup!! Me too.    

10 hours ago, David A. Wright said:

You're 100% correct David, you gotta always have a plan B and keep a savings for when things turn bad ... not if, but when. I couldn't agree more and I don't think you're being a spoil sport, just realistic. 

Job insecurity is a reality no matter what industry you're in, even the auto industry, which is a multi billion dollar a year industry and makes tangible items, had to be saved by big government during the last recession. My wife, who was a public school teacher (which was supposed to be a recession proof job), was laid off due to budget cuts during the great recession. She was playing it safe by getting a "recession proof job" ...  No job is safe today. Job security is a thing of the past for the most part.

It's always best to hope for the best, but plan for the worst. There is no doubt that YouTube could be gone tomorrow, but that's why you have to make sure you also have built up a brand on other social media and build a brand that is bigger than your YouTube channel. This is also where savings comes into play because no matter what industry you decide to make your living, it can always be gone tomorrow.

Heck, I have heard of YouTube terminating people channels with no explanation as to why. YouTube is not a secure source of income, and they don't give a damn about the creators on the platform. 

Some things to consider though. YouTube has been around for 13 years and is the most popular platform for young kids. Instead of growing up with cable TV, today's kids are growing up on YouTube. It's the future, and although it could easily be knocked off the pedestal of top dog like MySpace was by Facebook, there doesn't appear to be any real competition at the moment. YouTube aka Google has a pretty solid grip on the video industry with their ready to go ad program, but Facebook (which we are now starting to upload our videos too) is giving YouTube some competition in this area. 

The advertisers on YouTube are large corporations, the same ones who have been advertising on cable television. I don't think any of them stopped advertising on TV during our last great recession. Sure, they may cut back some on advertising, but Cable TV survived the last recession, and they make money by selling ad space. YouTube is the new TV of the younger generation. 

Google as ads that are very easy to see results. Unlike TV, you can tell when anyone clicks on your ad, you can create a sales funnel and tell when your ad produces a single sell. Companies continue to advertise because no matter how big they are, they need to sell products. In order to sell, you gotta remind people what to do, and you gotta remind them about your products. That's why large corporations like Coke and Pepsi continue to spend millions of dollars every year to sell products. Even though they are a large company, they still have competition, new products they need to let the masses know about, etc. Judging by the history of advertising,  I don't think that's ever going to change. 

TV has made it through all the previous downturns in the economy, and I think YouTube will be able to weather the storm when it hits. I could be wrong, but I think they will survive. 

I don't know if my post made it sound like I had it made, because I don't. I am still in the struggling phase and working on trying to break through. I am working on diversifying my income sources, working on building a brand, and more. I am nowhere near where I want to be. I am saving like crazy because after Christmas, revenue drops and I have to be ready for that like every year. 

I gave up everything I had to try and do something I love to do for a living, and it seems like it may work out. It may not, but at least I will never have to wonder "what could have been". I gotta enjoy it while it lasts because it can all be gone tomorrow. 

Way back in the ‘70’s when I worked at a steel mill I thought I had a steady job. When  Henry J Jr. decided to liquidate we lost it all and the early 80’s had a bad economy. People were lined up a block for a McDonalds job, no kidding. House, vehicles etc.,  were gone in a flash.  When and if it happens to you, (if it already hasnt) I think you will be the type to pick up the pieces and rebuild like I did. I also found out that material processions are nice but not essential. People always say they need this and need that but in reality, people think they need luxuries

I am glad I am retired. My parents both grew up during the Depression and instilled in me principles that still work well today. My wife and I simplified long ago, even though we were making very good money. TV programs try to convince me that I should allow the big financial companies to manage my money; on my side of the table I can see through their sham and their "help" is all for them to help themselves to what I spent a lifetime earning. And on and on and so on and blah blah blah.

Bob, I recal you mentioned you simplified, a big plus. I certainly do not have my finger on the pulse of the internet so am no expert. But my point is to take simple measures to protect yourself and family.

I haven't a clue as to your day to day circumstances, but another tidbit of advice. I perceive you are in a whirlwind of activity in your quest. Don't let it burn you out, nor make you loose sight of the big picture. In my quest to make a name for myself as an author and historian, I got caught up in a two decade long whirlwind and burned myself out. I made mistakes that cost me a lot of money and didn't help me one bit achieve my goals. I still have a name but few come knocking. And at this point in my life it don't matter any more. So my point is pace youself. And don't get so wrapped up in your quest that you loose sight of the important things and/or see danger coming.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:36 AM, El Polvo said:

Way back in the ‘70’s when I worked at a steel mill I thought I had a steady job. When  Henry J Jr. decided to liquidate we lost it all and the early 80’s had a bad economy. People were lined up a block for a McDonalds job, no kidding. House, vehicles etc.,  were gone in a flash.  When and if it happens to you, (if it already hasnt) I think you will be the type to pick up the pieces and rebuild like I did. I also found out that material processions are nice but not essential. People always say they need this and need that but in reality, people think they need luxuries

The advice given a century ago is the advice my father gave me, and the advice I'll give my kids.

Go to school, work hard, don't spend your money on stupid crap.  Save as much as you reasonably can and invest wisely where you can.  When the shitstorm hits, and we all know it will again, use your brains to make money and use your saved money frugally to weather the storm. 

My biggest life mistake has been not knowing enough early enough to identify and avoid the certain cancerous personality types. The damage certain people can cause extends far beyond your wallet. 

Facebook I think is the site I have ALWAYS disliked. They've always wanted you to register to just view half the stuff on there and the stuff you can has the sign up/login box covering half the screen and this is because they are in the business of data mining you and essential using or selling that information. Not that other platforms do not also do this but I always got the feeling that Facebook was designed to do this first. At least that has been my impression as a non user that avoids using it and doesn't have a real account there. 

6 hours ago, desertdog said:

The advice given a century ago is the advice my father gave me, and the advice I'll give my kids.

Go to school, work hard, don't spend your money on stupid crap.  Save as much as you reasonably can and invest wisely where you can.  When the shitstorm hits, and we all know it will again, use your brains to make money and use your saved money frugally to weather the storm. 

That’s precisely what my father in law did, he, a first gen american of italian descent, had survived the great depression and lived WAY below his means. He saved and scrimped, he put off and waited, his bank account was huge then his heart failed him and he died on the operation table as they tried to save him. What I’m saying is live for today and if disaster hits, survivors are gonna survive. I was never a school boy, i had a lot of problems as a youngen, but my advise to any youngen today is the more knowledge you got the better off you are. School is important. The fancy cars are nice, the fancy house is nice with the pool in the back but you can and will survive if you have to without them.  For sure the shitstorm will hit again. 

That's precisely what I try to do.  I have put off a lot of "wants" (though not all of them) since I got married 19 years ago, and so has the wife.  She comes from a big family, and I'm an only kid, so she is wayyyy more frugal than I am.  Even so, I'm pretty good at saving money and putting off unimportant stuff.  For the first time in a long time, she asked for something rather expensive for the holidays (a Silhouette Cameo for her craft stuff), so I ended up buying it, and lots of related goodies, for her. 

Plus with 2 little ones, we are saving money to put them through good grammar schools, good high schools, and eventually decent colleges.  At least as much as we can with college, we want them to both avoid the debt trap.  They can pay that forward for their own babies, some day.  I really wish they taught debt avoidance in school, too. 

And watching the stock market lately, I know that shitstorm is coming,  How big and bad it will be, I do not know.  But it's coming, and with the market looking like a 5-6 month lead indicator, summer 2019 may prove to be very interesting....