Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

proper explorations

Youtube taking views away from videos

I've recently noticed a problem and I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this too, basically one of my videos had 310 views and now it only has 70 views this happened yesterday, and I had $149.26 in revenue now I only have $109.65 in revenue. Anyone else dealing with problems like this on your channels ??.

All my views-per-day on my channel dropped by 40% 8 or 9 months ago.  Can't figure out why.  Subscribers only went up.  Granted, my vids have been few and far between lately (no time to edit) but that doesn't explain it.  Plus I have a hard time getting subscribers, which doesn't help.

12 minutes ago, desertdog said:

All my views-per-day on my channel dropped by 40% 8 or 9 months ago.  Can't figure out why.  Subscribers only went up.  Granted, my vids have been few and far between lately (no time to edit) but that doesn't explain it.  Plus I have a hard time getting subscribers, which doesn't help.

I recently looked over my other videos and on YouTube studio it shows my average video gets 200 views on average while on youtube it only shows 100.  So you might have a similar issue where not all the views show up, that would explain the videos dropping by 40%

30 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was when they recently pruned the spam accounts. YouTube never seems to gives honest answers to anything. 

I haven't lost any subscribers tho, that's the reason I think it's weird that im losing views and money.

There have been stories of advertising scams so it wouldn't surprise me if one of the ways they try to mask what they are doing is to put fake views on channels they would not be benefiting from themselves. It also wouldn't surprise me if youtube is screwing things either. If they culled spam accounts I don't think it would matter if any of them are subs or not but if any of them were viewers. I do think it is weird for a smaller vid lose over 50% of it's views. I've only ever noticed very small negative view counts occur to me but then again my channel is not eligible for moneitization those sorts of adjustments would not benefit the content overlords. 

Personally I do not understand the wizardry of the youtube algorithms and what or why they decided to promote or suppress the things they do.  It certainly does not seem to be quality of a vid. My hunting videos for example. The oldest (and worst) has by far the most views, for whatever reason youtube is suggesting this vid of mine more so then others. Then one of my other hunting vids only has less then 300 views. Short little montage of some of the shots that came out better, etc. I'm not sure what youtube dislikes against this vid compared to others but there is something it does not like about this one as it is suppressed. Wild guess is that it is less then a minute and that may be the reason. Why do some vids take off as opposed to others is a mystery. Some of the vids that "take off" are not exceptionally special or great so not sure what does it. 

YT claims it's because they are removing bot/scam/non-human accounts.  I know recently that Bob promoted one of my videos, and it got a lot of views.  It also got some oddball comments, likely from bots/spam accounts.  I'd imagine that's part of it. 

But, YT is about as transparent as a fresh batch of sewage (and their management has about the same IQ as a floating turd), so who knows. 

I have noticed over time that my firearms-related videos, especially reloading ones and ones relevant to CA's stupid laws, have gotten the most views.  I'm sure part of that is driven by active search and Google's search result rankings.  I've typed in terms to find something on Google and actually had a few of my vids come out as the 1/2/3 results, and I wasn't even keywording to find them.  This was on a fresh Windows 10 install, using Edge, in a virtual environment, so no cookie/tracking/analytics magic, either.  I don't understand it, and you really can't either.  It's a black box, and until they let people poke around the innards, it remains a mystery. 

I thought I might give an update on this. Basically YouTube is slow to update views and subs. My newest video shows 250 views on YouTube studio but the YouTube app shows 100 views I think the YouTube app is just slow to update views in comparison to YouTube studio. I've noticed on average YouTube app views are delayed 3 to 4 days.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• Our picks

• This is the location of the famous Mojave Phone Booth. Unfortunately not much is left today, but it's still a cool location to visit with an interesting history. 
      • 1 reply
    • South Pass City WY
      South Pass City, approximately 90 miles north of Rock Springs, is a historic site administered by the state of Wyoming.  It consists of over 30 log, frame, and stone buildings, along with the Carissa Mine and Stamp Mill.

South Pass City Historic Site
      • 11 images
    • Surprise Canyon, California
      Recently, I’ve been going through my old VHS video tapes and digitizing them to DVDs.  These tapes contain my travels and explorations between 1995 and 2009.  I thought I’d start releasing some video shorts of my early travels on this forum.

The back story for this particular video is as follows.  On March 30, 1996, I made a short hike of about a mile and a third up the lower third of Surprise Canyon, on the western slopes of the Panamint Range, Inyo County, California.  This canyon is just outside of Death Valley National Park.  This canyon has running water running year round through the stretch shown, fed by substantial Limekiln Springs, and the canyon is a water wonderland.  For those not familiar with the area, refer to the two maps.  The first one shows the canyon in relation to the region, the other a close up of the canyon and the ghost town of Panamint City.  The blue line in the close up image shows the route that was taken.

• 23 replies
    • Exploration Field Trips - March 31-April 2, 2000 - Into the Nevada Triangle with Lew Shorb
      My next series of videos will be based on a trip in 2000 that I took with Lew Shorb.  Lew is a board member here, as well as owner of the popular website http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/ghost.htm

In breaking with my past habit of culling out historical sites and ghost towns and creating short videos dealing with these, I decided to keep the exploring part of Explore Forums in and create videos of each day of my travel and exploration, including our camps.  Scenery, travel, camping ghost towns and wide open spaces.

Part one of this series, as well as subsequent videos, will all appear here within this same thread. Part I will start in my garage, where I was finishing up with the packing my truck.  The following day, after work, I begin my travels to meet Lew Shorb at Rhyolite, Nevada ghost town.

Our three day, two night travels prowled about the "Nevada Triangle" section of northeastern Death Valley National Park; and will include such sites as:

1. The Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad
      2. Gold Bar
      3. Phinney Mine
      4. Strozzi Ranch
      5. Currie Well (LV&T RR)
      6. Mud Springs Summit (LV&T RR)
      7. Happy Hooligan Mine

This video, that of March 30th and 31st, will start off this series; and is brief, only being 3:28 long.  Nevada-Triangle_Shorb-2000_Part-1.wmv

So, below is my narrative of part one of this series to give full context of what is seen in the video.  It will probably take longer to read than the video is long.

--------------------------

• 9 replies
    • Exploration Field Trips: May 1-3, 2000 - Trip with Alan Patera and Alan Hensher into Death Valley
      Exploration Field Trips:
      May 1-3, 2000
      Trip with Alan Patera and Alan Hensher into Death Valley

What do you do with three authors, two 4x4’s, two two-way radios, three cameras, and camping supplies? Send them to Death Valley, of course. For three days in the first week of May, 2000, fellow authors and historical researchers Alan Patera, Alan Hensher and myself explored Death Valley north and south.

Alan Patera writes and publishes the WESTERN PLACES series of monograph books.  Alan Hensher has been published in several periodicals as well as authoring several books, centering primarily on the history of Mojave Desert sites.

Alan Patera, who hails from Oregon, came south to California and picked up Alan Hensher; then the two came my way. At the time I was living in Ridgecrest, California. After overnighting with my wife and I, the three of us took off for Death Valley.  Alan was busy researching and photographing for a future edition of WESTERN PLACES, this time centering on the camps of the Funeral Range, which forms the eastern border of east central Death Valley.  Circumstances and changes of our journey lead Alan to plant the seeds of two more future books, this time centering just outside the northernmost section of Death Valley.

• 4 replies