• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Awesome..  I was out there a while back, salvaged the remnants of a cotton sample bag that had 'wonder' and some numbers stamped on it.  Figured it was going to rot away anyway..

I'll be back this summer, explore deeper up into the hills and the like see if there's anything interesting.

Seemed you focused on the mill area. Did you explore the townsite and cemetery? Check your library for Hugh Schamberger’s publication, WONDER. His series is superb and written decades ago while far more was left at ghost towns in Nevada. He also covers the other nearby towns adjacent to Wonder.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Churchill-County-Nevada-Historic/dp/B0006CKV4M

it was a bit of a random trip idea, up there in the truck with my Wife.  Didn't spend much time there, I get back on my bike I'll be able to cover a lot more ground.

Thanks for the book info...

I spent a day out there looking for the cemetery, but there wasn't anything at all. I am not sure if I was at the correct location, but I am pretty sure I was close. Seems the cemetery is completely gone. 

Cemetery marked on topo map.

Thanks for the pdf, Chris. I have it on my computer, now I can curl up by the fire with a bourbon and my iPad and enjoy!

Just now, David A. Wright said:

Cemetery marked on topo map.

That's where I got the coordinates, but we couldn't find anything. 

Looking at the Google maps satellite view I see some patterns along the lower north slope of the small notch it sits in. There is one short trail and what appears to be a fenceline running north and south. At the end of the two track looks to be something, like the size of those 5’ stone monuments with E Clampus Vitis plaques and in such a spot that it doesn’t look natural to me. Though it could very well be a boulder that rolled down from above in the earthquake in the ‘50s.

3 hours ago, David A. Wright said:

Looking at the Google maps satellite view I see some patterns along the lower north slope of the small notch it sits in. There is one short trail and what appears to be a fenceline running north and south. At the end of the two track looks to be something, like the size of those 5’ stone monuments with E Clampus Vitis plaques and in such a spot that it doesn’t look natural to me. Though it could very well be a boulder that rolled down from above in the earthquake in the ‘50s.

I'll have to go back and take another look. I'll also check google earth and find that fence you mention, I was probably in the wrong location. 🙂

I was looking at Schamberger's book last night. He has one image, of a small headstone. The verbiage alludes there is little left. That was in the late 60s to 1971, when the book was published. So it may be very difficult to find anything.

We looked a couple of years ago.  We found what MAY have been wood remnants from coffins, but nothing else.  We hiked extensively and found basically nothing of the graves.