• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The gated mine at Hercules is easy to enter.  I know this from personal experience.

When you make a door, you make a way in for everyone.  When you fail to secure that door, it might as well not exist in the first place.

Wonder what the story is with all the spent blanks and links are? Something filmed there at one time?

48 minutes ago, SteveHazard said:

Wonder what the story is with all the spent blanks and links are? Something filmed there at one time?

It's adjacent to Dixie Valley.  USN trains there, as do Marines.  When we were there a couple of years ago, we had a nice overflight by a UH-60 on the deck.  Pretty awesome stuff. 

3 hours ago, desertdog said:

It's adjacent to Dixie Valley.  USN trains there, as do Marines.  When we were there a couple of years ago, we had a nice overflight by a UH-60 on the deck.  Pretty awesome stuff. 

OK  cool. So they're using blanks in training or are those from some type of simunation ammo of some sort? You can definitely see the expanded crimps that wouldn't be standard ball or anything that was  fired.  

Those are all blanks. 

Over near the Project Shoal site, we found a ton of spent 7.62x51 brass with links.  It was old - had a black patina - and the headstamp date was '84'.  Those were not blanks, so someone was doing live-fire in the area (it's Navy land, but not closed off) with small arms, likely using an M60, given the marks on the brass.

I gathered several hundred cases and tumbled them for about a day with stainless steel pins, Dawn dish soap, and Lemishine.  The brass came out clean, but not super-shiny.  I inspected every piece for incipient head failures, then reloaded a bunch of it with light duty 308 Winchester loads.  The stuff shot well, but given it's history, I wouldn't use it in anything semiauto.  Still, it made for sub-MOA rounds out of my 700SPS.