Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gunsn4x4

New Reno member

Welcome to the forum, and Reno.  There tons of exploring here.

Forgot to mention, if you haven't already found Reno4x4.com and you are interested in four-wheeling for four-wheelings sake... good bunch of folks, a bit too much good old boy and d**k measure for my taste...

I think most of the folks here view their vehicles as tools, vs toys... I could be wrong... 😉

tires1.jpg.30bc27331ae2bb07640819bcf42a33e8.jpgNever used a winch neither. Because it doesn’t have one ... 😎

My truck is stock. Owned it since new (purchsed June 2002). It’s been on its side, under water enough to flood the cab above the seat cushions, the skids beat up. Only in the shop for maintenance, including timing belt/water pump replacement. Still running original headlight bulbs as well as most others. But enough, as I’m probably sounding like a broken record to the regulars here. As you look around this site, you’ll likely see some of my trip reports with photos and videos.

A winch isn't much use in the desert, unless you bring an anchor or are prepared to dig a big hole to bury your tire as a makeshift anchor.   Useful when in groups of course.. sometimes a winch is better than a strap.   I've never got into trouble that a jack and a shovel will not resolve, that said I'm a pretty conservative wheeler....

It’s better to have and not need than need and not have, especially when you are out by yourself. I’ve been stranded before, and it’s not a good feeling. With a shovel and a hi-lift you can get unstuck 90% of the time in the desert, but I’m not just a dirt road wheeler. And Winches have a lot of other uses as well, from clearing fallen trees off trails, to helping a buddy get unstuck. If you can afford it and ever get out into the rocks or in the trees, they can be very valuable. All in all it’s another tool in the toolbox, and it might mean you are driving home instead of waiting for help.

Exactly, if I’m out on the trails I always have my glock and my AR with me. Better safe then sorry. I’m not expecting to get into a gunfight, but you never know if you’ll stumble on a mountain lion, or a meth lab. And in a search and rescue situation three gunshots in succession are a universally recognized signal for help.

We all find the trade offs that make sense to each of us.  I'm a  very conservative 4 wheeler.  If I'm on 4 wheels my wife is with me, we'll turn around before getting into anything I would consider risky given the skills and tools I have at hand.  Shovel, high lift, tools, food/water, pistol and PLB covers it for us.  On 2 wheels I'll attempt just about anything to get where I want to go.

I have yet to find a good way to carry a pistol on my person when motorcycling.  Protective gear and the inevitable unplanned dismount make finding a safe place to strap a metal object to your body rather difficult.  Trade off for the mobility is having to stow a pistol on the bike, I can live with that.