Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

A week ago, after a year of research, shopping and drooling on store counters, I bought a Ruger Security-9 handgun. A 9mm semi-auto, 4” barrel.

https://ruger.com/products/security9/specSheets/3819.html

C2CC8DB3-A5D4-4162-A4DD-05EBC001A84B.jpeg.34ca0cd19f28c7a7ecd12bbb7fe98b37.jpeg

39E174D0-C2B0-4089-B6AA-0303F8E1036E.thumb.jpeg.a94f48e19e2ad775eca555fe65f885ee.jpeg

My gun is equipped with the optional Hogue grip (shown in photo), which I didn’t realize when I bought the gun. I paid $329 at a local gun shop here in Winnemucca, or $30 less than the Security-9 without the Hogue grip at the Reno Cabela’s.

Not sure why, but when purchased with the Hogue grip, Ruger supplies two 10-round magazines instead of the 15-round magazines. I could not find anything to indicate that a 15-round magazine is incompatable with the Hogue grip. The gun store owner also had no answer. But Ruger’s website doesn’t state that the 15-round magazine is incompatable; Hogue’s website doesn’t state any incompatability, so my logic is that my plan to purchase a couple 15-round magazines in the future. This feature was one of the reasons for my purchase, so I was a bit let down. But the Hogue grip is quite comfotable.

This gun is my first 9mm handgun. A primary reason I went with a 9mm is relatively inexpensive ammo costs. Walmart here in town sells Federal for 16 cents per round; Remington for a penny more.

I spent the afternoon and evening after purchase getting familiar with the gun and reading the manual. I also found a Bulldog brand universal hip holster (clip + belt loop) made for semi auto pistols with 4” barrels at the local True Value, as the gun store didn’t have any model specific holsters or universals that fit in stock.

The day following my purchase I went to the local shooting range, crowded even with the breezy and cold conditions with occasional snow showers and blowing snow from off Winnemucca Mountain. My buddy, who recently repaired his Thompson “Typewriter” 45-caliber semi-auto, and I took the 400-yard range. He fired far, I set up a heavy gauge cardboard fruit box weighted with a paving stone at about 200 feet. I had marked the box with rings and a center crosshair. I shot a hundred rounds at the box, both standing and sitting at the table with the gun resting on a sandbag. I got used to my gun’s characteristics and sights, putting 44 out of 100 rounds through the box; plus clearing the immediate area around the box of snow, mud and dirt by near misses. By that time, my buddy’s Thompson broke again, both of us were cold, my wrists were sore (gun recoil, arthritis and cold) and a couple vehicles were waiting for their turns. So we packed up our guns, picked up our brass and left.

In the morning before practice, I registered my gun with Ruger and downloaded a .pdf of their current catalog. I noticed the availability of the Hogue grip and 10-round magazine, but didn’t realize my gun was so equipped until I loaded the first magazine and could only get 10 rounds and it hit me that I had a Hogue model. I guess I’m getting less observant as I’m getting older. 

I am predominately right handed. I have to shoot long guns left handed. Pistols I tend to be ambidextrous. My .22 mag revolver I can shoot left handed, but is more comfortable right. My new Ruger feels supremely comfortable left handed, though it is a right handed gun. My left hand is more steady aiming as well.

The 15 round mags should work fine. That hogue grip shouldn’t have any effect on the magazine as it is just a sleeve that slides over the grip. A lot of handguns are sold by the manufacturer with 10 round magazines for those unfortunate enough to live in a less free state. Not sure why it was sold like that in Nevada, we still have a couple more years of freedom, maybe. Congrats on the new pistol, looks like a solid little pistol for the money.

Thank you for your input. Yes, after reading Hogue’s website I found it is a sleeve, so I concluded it has no bearing on magazine capacity. I don’t know why Ruger supplies only the 10-round magazine with the Hogue grip, as per their catalog they don’t show a 15-round w/Hogue. Ruger’s MSRP for the Hogue is $20 more than the stock gun. I brought this up because it took me by surprise, it might help someone else in the market who finds this thread.

Part of my selection was consistantly good reviews in the gun magazines and websites. And my experience with my reliable and rugged 1977 built Ruger 10/22 rifle.

I’m no marksman nor looking for the ultimate gun. Just wanted a little more sidearm when out hunting or exloring, for those times I might encounter a kitty cat that doesn’t purr in your lap, or I happen to piss off a badger.

That does seem odd that only the 10 round version has the hogue. Must just be a limited run. Ruger pistols are a great value a lot of people discount them because they aren’t “trendy”, but the most important thing is that it’s reliable, you like it, and can shoot it well. And of course you can’t beat a 10/22 for plinking fun!

I’ve always said if the world goes to hell and I can only have one gun it would be my 10/22. It’s small and light, easy to shoot, and I can just throw it in the back of my 4Runner with a couple 500 rd boxes of ammo and be set for a long time.

Nice.   Ruger makes good firearms and they stand behind them 100%.  Buddy and me used to push .44 loads, see what we could get out of a Super Redhawk.  We beat them up with massive loads, bent the crane on the redhawk shipped it back to Ruger and they repaired it by sending an entirely new one...   Did 3 years of IDPA, 2 matches a week with a GP100.  I was reloading 500rds every 1-2 weeks... It's still my #1 revolver, ate 1000's of rounds without ever failing and still runs great.

Damn good price as well.

A friend of mine, who lives on a very remote ranch, has a Redhawk .44 magnum and loves it. It is his favorite gun and he always carries it in a bandolero style holster when out and about on his ranch.

By the way they are arranged in the case, if these were flintlock pistols, and the case was in your hands, I’d think you were challenging me to a duel ... 😎

Interesting triggers. I have never seen them on any other brand but Ruger, and I believe they’re only used on the LCP and Security-9 series. It’s hard to read, but they are Glock brand?

They look a bit rough and used. Or is it the finish?

1 hour ago, David A. Wright said:

By the way they are arranged in the case, if these were flintlock pistols, and the case was in your hands, I’d think you were challenging me to a duel ... 😎

Interesting triggers. I have never seen them on any other brand but Ruger, and I believe they’re only used on the LCP and Security-9 series. It’s hard to read, but they are Glock brand?

I think Glock was the first to use that style of trigger safety.  The Glock version seems to stick out a bit less, on my G30 it's not nearly as noticable.

And here's my kinda duelin' pistols.. you don't get one 😉

SDC11387.JPG.b7b98292f81cbcb92ef319020ef365ec.JPG

4 hours ago, David A. Wright said:

Yeah, they are Glocks, a 30S (.45) and a 42 (.380). They are brand new, only about 50 rounds through each so far. Once this weather clears up we will get out to put more rounds through them. They are my first experience with Glock, and so far they have been a lot of fun. I gotta teach my daughter not to limp wrist the 380 though, it like to jam on her. 

Have you had issues getting 10 rds into the G30 magazine?  I've found I can just get 10rds in, and have to really slam it home to seat the mag.  Always kinda wondered if i got a couple of poorly made magazines....they're glock brand with extended bumpers.. heck maybes it's the bumpers...

I shot IDPA on occasion with the G30, and found that when I slam a full mag in the slide releases.. which in a way is a bit handy.. if a bit unnerving 😉

1 hour ago, braindead0 said:

Have you had issues getting 10 rds into the G30 magazine?  I've found I can just get 10rds in, and have to really slam it home to seat the mag.  Always kinda wondered if i got a couple of poorly made magazines....they're glock brand with extended bumpers.. heck maybes it's the bumpers...

I shot IDPA on occasion with the G30, and found that when I slam a full mag in the slide releases.. which in a way is a bit handy.. if a bit unnerving 😉

Oh yeah, it's a PITA to get a full 10 rounds in there! 

33 minutes ago, Bob said:

Good, not just me then ;-).  10 rds of .45 should be 'enough'... as long as you have good shot placement.... I've got a 30rd for my 9mm when I feel like spraying at steel targets or the like 😉

32 minutes ago, Bob said:

Pull the magazine apart, and trim a bit off the spring.  It's an iterative process, until you get easy insertion with still-reliable feeding.  Probably why Glock sells a 9-rd version of that magazine (or they did a while ago. 

And.  Holy Crap.  I can go out and buy a Glock 42 right now, if I want. And not wait.  Well, not longer than it takes for the NICS check. 

I think I'll just wait until my NV license shows up, then I'll go visit WCSO, update my CCW address, and buy w/out going through NICS (and saving the $25 bucks!!) 

F**k You, California.  Just.  F**k. You.  I think I'll go order some AR magazines now.  And once Man Cave is done, I'll pull mag locks off. 

3 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

Good, not just me then ;-).  10 rds of .45 should be 'enough'... as long as you have good shot placement.... I've got a 30rd for my 9mm when I feel like spraying at steel targets or the like 😉

I got a few 17 round mags for my 9mm, which seems to last a while. 

I hear they are in the process of trying to pass red flag confiscation laws here soon, which is a bummer. Hopefully it can be stopped. 

6 hours ago, desertdog said:

Pull the magazine apart, and trim a bit off the spring.  It's an iterative process, until you get easy insertion with still-reliable feeding.  Probably why Glock sells a 9-rd version of that magazine (or they did a while ago. 

And.  Holy Crap.  I can go out and buy a Glock 42 right now, if I want. And not wait.  Well, not longer than it takes for the NICS check. 

I think I'll just wait until my NV license shows up, then I'll go visit WCSO, update my CCW address, and buy w/out going through NICS (and saving the $25 bucks!!) 

F**k You, California.  Just.  F**k. You.  I think I'll go order some AR magazines now.  And once Man Cave is done, I'll pull mag locks off. 

You escaped? 

Funny thing about the AR mags... I don't even own a true 10 round. I just put aluminum rivets in the normal ones to reduce the cap to ten. Some wizard with a tiny spiral wand always performs some magic on them every time I leave CA and I have to block them again before returning.  Ah the pointless nonsense of CA.  

Early this afternoon I ordered two 15-round magazines for my new Ruger from The Mag Shack.

https://www.themagshack.com/

Price including shipping was $60.97. Got an email this afternoon they were shipped.

They weren’t the cheapest, but one of few with them in stock. Even Ruger’s website states they don’t have any. Prices range from $26.99 to $39.99.

Last Monday I went to Scheels. Their website seemed to indicate they had them in stock, but didn’t, nor were there any tags indicating a spot for them. Employee states that they don’t carry them. Their website priced them at $39.99 each. It was my first time there. Maybe if they didn’t try to be Disneyland they could lower their prices. Ammo prices were higher for 9mm ammo than I can get locally.

Cabela’s doesn’t list magazines for my gun, though they stock the Security-9. Didn’t want to drive way up there as all my business was in south Reno. Cabela’s is similar to Scheels, but I like it better as it seems less adolescent and more adult. Maybe it was that silly Ferris wheel. But I thought the glass pillars and archway aquarums were cool.

After a week and a day, no apparent progress on my magazines ordered. Tracking still only shows one initial item:

A shipping label has been prepared for your item at 4:38 pm on March 7, 2019 in TALLAHASSEE, FL 32309. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

I sent an email today, no response. I plan to call tomorrow.

I did a Google search. Wish I had previous to ordering. Seems my situation is not uncommon. The BBB website has several complaints with experiences similar to mine. So do some gun enthusiast forums.

If I don’t get a response, I guess I’ll have to contact my credit card company to stop payment if not too late.

Anyone in the greater Reno area have any experience with Juggernaut Arms in Sparks? Their prices for the Security-9 mags very close to what Mag Shack defrauded me of and they’re local. Good reviews on Yelp, but I’m skeptical of internet reviews as there’s often too much paid praise online. I know where the store is as I used to go to LKQ nearby a lot when I was still working.