Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

12 hours ago, Bob said:

There is a cool place pretty close to Reno that I like to go to, and it has some cool abandoned stuff nearby too. Only about a 10 minute ride. 

Now that life is settling down a little bit, let me know when you want to go and we'll turn some money into noise. 🙂

Oh, I learned something interesting about Toulon and all the trailers and junk out there.

According to LE (Sheriff), it's basically a registered sex-offender haven.  The owner of the property rents out places to folks on the state offender registry. 

Even if I could get in, that pretty much strikes the place off the list of places to explore. 

17 hours ago, braindead0 said:

If you're an early bird, I like shooting pistol here: https://goo.gl/maps/JataNm8f3932

Further up Winnemucca Ranch Rd. is another area that has more range.

Wife and I are heading out to do some rockhounding by Lovelock tomorrow, nice day for it.

Huh.

Older kid and I are heading out that way shortly for the same thing.  Going to poke around Copper King, maybe Copper Queen.  Unclear what the road conditions are. 

If she doesn't get her ass in gear most riki-tik, she's gonna get left behind, though.   *grumble*

38 minutes ago, desertdog said:

Oh, I learned something interesting about Toulon and all the trailers and junk out there.

According to LE (Sheriff), it's basically a registered sex-offender haven.  The owner of the property rents out places to folks on the state offender registry. 

Even if I could get in, that pretty much strikes the place off the list of places to explore. 

Huh.

Older kid and I are heading out that way shortly for the same thing.  Going to poke around Copper King, maybe Copper Queen.  Unclear what the road conditions are. 

If she doesn't get her ass in gear most riki-tik, she's gonna get left behind, though.   *grumble*

We'll be out near trinity mountains, sorta in the same general neighborhood but probably not going to run into each other... however if you see a dark gray ram 1500, a bearded desert sasquatch... and a woman dressed somewhat oddly for the desert... that might be us... although I suppose the description could be any sort of desert person 😉

I would not recommend coming in from the south via Jessup exit unless you want a fun 4x4 adventure as well, there's are a few sections of 'road' that follow a normally dry/sandy river bed no clue on conditions. There are some remains in that area though, so if you want to explore Jessup and mine remains by all means.  However if you want the easy way take the road north of 95/80 interchange, bear left here which is a usually well maintained hard pack dirt road: https://goo.gl/maps/oWzU9Ke1D4E2

Been a while since I went to the copper queen, road should be okay.  Best pickings IMO are at the copper king.  If you've got high clearance you should be able to drive right into it.. last I was there the road had a  berm you have to cross which could be a high center hazard.

There are a few people living out there, you can't build anything legally so bear that in mind.  We met a young women that lives in what I'd call a shanty-compound first time we were out there.  Came by asking if we'd seen her dog.  Seemed nice enough, didn't get any weird vibe chatted a bit. I've been through that area many times and never had any problems, 'locals' tend to wave as you drive by.

19 hours ago, Bob said:

Sounds worthy of a story. 🤔

Sex offenders "should" pop up on a geographical search though megan's list. However many register illegally as transients to prevent themselves from showing on a geographical search and will only display in specific name searches or county wide searches. They should be given a rating between -3 and 10 (10 being the worst) in relation to recidivism risk but often offenders from longer ago don't have ratings regardless of how bad their crime may of been because it was before they gave ratings. While going out there, doing a story, and exposing or doxing (they are required by law to do so themselves) should be perfectly legal in the case of sex offenders I would tread lightly if there is an isolated community of them that is less of a public safety concern in the circumstances they have chosen for themselves.  While it may be an interesting story I would be cautious of disclosing the location and people. Even though it would be perfectly OK to do so, probably do not want to piss off a group of people of that nature that may not be to far from your home base in the same state as you. Particularly with your girls.

Back to speaking on shooting...

Woohoo! We can have normal magazines again in CA... for the time being. I consulted with the mag wizard and his high speed spinning spiral wand and it seems I now have dozens of regular magazines again! 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:50 AM, braindead0 said:

We'll be out near trinity mountains, sorta in the same general neighborhood but probably not going to run into each other... however if you see a dark gray ram 1500, a bearded desert sasquatch... and a woman dressed somewhat oddly for the desert... that might be us... although I suppose the description could be any sort of desert person 😉

I would not recommend coming in from the south via Jessup exit unless you want a fun 4x4 adventure as well, there's are a few sections of 'road' that follow a normally dry/sandy river bed no clue on conditions. There are some remains in that area though, so if you want to explore Jessup and mine remains by all means.  However if you want the easy way take the road north of 95/80 interchange, bear left here which is a usually well maintained hard pack dirt road: https://goo.gl/maps/oWzU9Ke1D4E2

Been a while since I went to the copper queen, road should be okay.  Best pickings IMO are at the copper king.  If you've got high clearance you should be able to drive right into it.. last I was there the road had a  berm you have to cross which could be a high center hazard.

There are a few people living out there, you can't build anything legally so bear that in mind.  We met a young women that lives in what I'd call a shanty-compound first time we were out there.  Came by asking if we'd seen her dog.  Seemed nice enough, didn't get any weird vibe chatted a bit. I've been through that area many times and never had any problems, 'locals' tend to wave as you drive by.

We made it out there via the eastern entry point (80/95 interchange, Rest Area exit).  Berm to Copper King turnoff was nothing for the truck.  I just roll over crap like that.  There had been some recent use of the short road out to the shaft and dumps, based on fresh tracks.  We found some so-so ore samples, some nice quartz bits, and I came away with a few nice chunks of garnet crystals.  There are more out there, which may require a return trip.  After lunch we shot a little, and then headed over to Copper Queen.  Not much left there, so we checked out Hard To Find.  Same thing.

Around lunch time, I could hear people shooting off to the south of Copper King, and I could barely make out the glint of a vehicle.  I think they were at the Hard to Find - we found a couple dozen fresh 5.56 casings at HTF.  But they vanished, most likely off towards Jessup.  I had no info on the road conditions from HTF to Jessup, and it was getting on 1530.  So we doubled back, took a short cutoff to the main road, and went out the same way we went in. 

I saw the buildings out to the west of Copper King - they looked fairly well built, from a distance - not sure I'd call them a shanty town.  But I didn't get close enough for a good look, and had no desire to do so  We ended up using a soft dirt hill for a backstop, facing ENE.  So other than some noise, they'd have had no reason to complain.  I pondered driving down to the power lines and trying that road to get back onto 80, but again, late in the day and minimal provisions (plenty of water, just not a ton of food and more importantly, no coffee). 

Still, it was a fun day.  We may attempt Jessup from the I-80 side (maps suggest it's doable) in a few weeks.  I think this weekend I'm going to head out towards Como for a look-see, and maybe a little further East.  There are some spots towards Yerington I want to explore eventually.  And I'm looking for a 600-1000 yard shooting lane.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:27 PM, Bob said:

Last time I was out in Jessup, a fairly large mining operation was going on in the hills. It was surprising to drive on those back roads with absolutely nothing and then come over a hill and then see a bunch of backhoes working the land. I was hoping to do a Nan Dixon search this weekend, but my vehicle is on it's last leg and I am not feeling very confident with it. Might just head over to another "haunted" location. I swear I have found a strange old military missile site or base that I want to get too though, so I might have to see what my Armada can still do... 

Sounds worthy of a story. 🤔

An old missile base?  Now THAT sounds interesting.  More interesting than dust mine timbers and ancient rusty can fragments. 

Though I was able to teach her that motor oil used to come in cardboard cans with metal tops/bottoms after we found a lid at Copper King.  If you get stuck or break down, just hit up my mobile.  I can always mount rescue mission easily enough.

Family is liking the new place.  Needs more work than we initially thought, but mostly cleanup and touch-up.  Still, so worth it.  :)

Speaking of dusty can fragments, found a Shasta lemon-line soda can, pre-pop-top... looks like it was some old trigger trash but you could still read it..

So when's the 1st annual Explore Forum invitational shoot?

There is an old NIKE missile site by me that you can/could get into one of the underground storage bunkers. It is really cool. Has a lift that would elevate the missiles out of the bay doors to where they would be setup and prepared for launch.  Inside where really heavy steel doors and some sort of bunk quarters. Really interesting if a prep crew actually slept in a place like that as it was tiny. I'd imagine a site in NV would of housed something MUCH larger then NIKE missiles were and would be even cooler. 

Looks like it may be soggy this weekend.  If so, I guess I'm back to playing electrician and swapping out old switches and outlets, building a table for the Ammo Plant, and whatever else needs to get done around the house.  Oh yeah, oil changes.