• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU CREW

What Gets You There?

What gets you there? I currently drive a 2005 Dodge Durango and it has been a great vehicle so far, will sorta. It's had it's fair share of problems, and continues to give me issues, but it has never left me stranded. I am going to need some tires though as the Cooper Discoverer ATR's suck and have left me stranded twice!

So what gets you there?

What kind of vehicle or vehicles get you out to explore?

I drive a 2005 Dodge Durango myself.

Road trips for me involve a 2009 KIA Spectra.

Like to get a SUV or something more than a car, like to do more than a car can handle.

Upload to forum, not sure about keeping my site, otherwise would have linked from it.

You can upload as much as you want William. I used to have a Ford Taurus and it took me to all kinds of great sites.

What gets you there? I currently drive a 2005 Dodge Durango and it has been a great vehicle so far, will sorta. It's had it's fair share of problems, and continues to give me issues, but it has never left me stranded. I am going to need some tires though as the Cooper Discoverer ATR's suck and have left me stranded twice!

So what gets you there?

Bob,

As a lifetime car nut, I spend lots of my time researching new and different things, ways to save money, and nearly everything auto related.

I bought a set of recapped tires for my Jeep. (I hear the screams of dissent already) As someone that has run 2 tire stores, I am vehemently opposed to recaps, especially on off-road vehicles.

But I like to think I am a fair man. So after hearing about Treadwright tires https://www.treadwright.com/ I searched the web looking for anyone that has had a failure of any kind, only to find satisfied customers.

I am in no way affiliated with these people, nor do I get any discounts for advertising their product. I'm just passing along what I feel is a smoking deal on tires. my tires were built using Goodyear casings with armored sidewalls. I could never have afforded the real thing, and these recaps are holding up very well so far.

As with anything, please do your own research first.

Brian

(I tried to post a picture, but gave up)

• Like 1

Bought a new car the other day, traded in the 2009 KIA Spectra for 2012 KIA Soul, not quite an SUV, has it all, cruise control, and much more, the Spectra was the limited edition.

What happened when you tried to post a photo Brian? If it's giving you issues, let me know and I will fix it asap. :)

If you get any errors or have any issues with the site, just let me know and I can get it fixed.

Nope, not AWD, has electronic stability control for adverse conditions.

It looks like it has more ground clearance than the other vehicle you had eh? I bet it gets great fuel mileage too!

Similar mileage, it is a bit higher*, and its easier to get in and out.

* doesn't feel like sitting on the ground as the other car did.

I wish my Durango would get better fuel milage. We were thinking of heading out to Unionville and the surrounding areas this weekend, but with fuel prices to high, not sure it's worth all the fuel for a one day trip! I wish we had something economical for those type of trips.

What happened when you tried to post a photo Brian? If it's giving you issues, let me know and I will fix it asap. :lol:

If you get any errors or have any issues with the site, just let me know and I can get it fixed.

I think I just need to learn more about this forum style. I haven't read up on the rules yet.

Just let me know when you don't know how to do something and I will write up a quick tutorial. :lol:

Here's mine:

daytrip_12-13-2011_02.jpg

Oops! That's the last one that broke down on me at Daveytown, Humboldt County, Nevada.

daytrip_12-13-2011_12.jpg

My current truck, a 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD pickup. I bought it new in June, '02. It's mechanically stock. It's got nearly 144,000 miles on it now. It's been super reliable and is quite capable. This shot was taken in Desert Valley, Humboldt County, Nevada.

GlacierView_NorthViewpoint06.jpg

Taken in the Sierra Nevada southwest of Bishop, CA. I used to live a short distance behind the canyon in Big Pine, CA for many years. The Tacoma got quite a bit of Sierra Nevada, Death Valley wheeling in those years.

lg2008-05_011.jpg

On the Lippencott 4x4 Trail, Death Valley National Park.

steele84.jpg

DeDeckera Canyon narrows, Death Valley National Park.

wheeler027.jpg

Wheeler Ridge, Sierra Nevada.

laurel2005_07.jpg

Laurel Lakes 4x4 trail, near Mammoth Lakes, CA.

oops1.jpg

oops2.jpg

Coyote Flat region, SW of Bishop, CA. Long story. I'll explain some other time (have to go to work shortly).

phone_water-canyon2a.jpg

Above my home near Winnemucca, NV a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

Nice, that Toyota has been everywhere. Have you had any major issues with it at all? On the Durango, which is a 2005, the only major component we have had to replace is the rack and pinion, and for some reason I have become the mechanic since the wife thinks I can fix cars or something! :lol:

I have over 150,000 miles on the Durango, but it seems like it's always needing something. Every 2 or 3 years the manifold bolts like to break, so I have to replace them, just had to replace the front crank oil seal, and now the manifold bolts sound like they are starting to loosen up or break again. I guess when I put it into perspective, it hasn't been too bad, but since I am the volunteer mechanic, it seems like it needs something every day!

What kind of tires are you running on the Toyota? Looks like you have plenty of ground clearance too on your Toyota. I am always hitting stuff on the Durango, good think the oil and transmission pans are tucked under the center brace. Ever have a close call where you thought you were going to get stuck?

One time we rented a small Ford Explorer 4WD when we went to tri state area and hit a patch of sand and just sat there and spun the tires. I thought for sure we were going to be hiking back, but I let the tire pressure down and we were able to get out, barely!

I have only had an alternator failure. It was covered under warranty. I actually caused it, as I drowned the truck in a deep creek crossing, where water came into the cab through my open window (underestimated the depth - my buddy with a lifted Jeep made it look easy ... :lol: ). The engine didn't stall, but the alternator light came on the next day. I've had the cab full of water on two occasions, the last being the crossing of Martin Creek at Hardscrabble (near Paradise Valley) a few years ago. I ease gently through water. The three-piece skid plates seem to seal off the engine compartment well, so I keep the speed at a crawl to keep water from being shoved through the radiator. I find doing this there is little to no water in the engine compartment. I wish I could say that about the interior!

The truck runs a V6 and 5-speed manual. The TRD package adds better off road suspension and a switchable locking differential, a real plus when rock crawling.

The truck is on its third set of shocks. Otherwise, I just jump in and go.

I run B.F. Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires on it. I go a bit more into that aspect on the tire thread.

Wow, I am seriously impressed with that Toyota! I considered the Toyota, but we liked the Durango after renting it for a vacation. It was the HEMI version, and we didn't buy a HEMI (mistake #1). We haven't ever put it through anything major like you have either. That would probably kill the Durango. I would definitely not buy another Durango if I were in the market for another vehicle.

Seems Toyota has always been a quality product, and it's interesting to note that many of them are built right here in the US! How does the dealerships treat you? We tried to take our in for a few issues while it was still under factory warranty, but Reno Dodge wanted to charge us to look into the problems we were having! I am pretty much disgusted with Dodge all the way around.

Great photos David. What I like to do one of these days.

The truck has never been waxed. I wash it maybe twice annually (white is a superb color for planned neglect!).

There is one substantial dent in the passenger side rocker panel, which was the first I put in the truck just after I took the photo below:

GlacierView_BoulderPatch02.jpg

Hidden next to the passenger side door is a rock pillar about the height of the window. When I pulled off, the truck came down on its base. Fortunately it was tipped slightly away from the truck and only dented the rocker panel.

Behind the passenger side seat the floor is pushed up about 1" when the truck dropped upon a large, square topped boulder in the images above where the truck is tipped to the side. That happened when I was trying to be a good guy to a group of "flatlanders" coming up at me on that road at 11,000 feet above Coyote Flat SW of Bishop. I thought they'd wait when they saw me, as they had plenty of room on reasonably level ground, otherwise I'd have to back up nearly a mile to any place to pull off. However, they all kept coming, so I shoved the truck on the uphill slope. The kept coming, didn't even acknowledge me when they passed. I got hung up on the big rock when trying to back off. I got off that, then nearly put the truck on its side. I had to counterbalance the truck by holding on to the door and hanging out as far as possible. Finally a young man in a Jeep came along and he managed to get my snatch strap out of the back of the truck (it took over a half hour with me hanging on for dear life, the truck teetering up and down), hook up to his Jeep. He took these images while I was hooked up (I Photoshopped the strap out of the photo). It's kind of hard to tell, but my feet are nearly two feet off the ground.

The rear bumper also has a noticble dent in it. I did that by backing into a sapling lodgepole pine high in the Sierra Nevada. I didn't see it until I hit it. The impact made me hit the gas instead of the brake. The truck was in 4WD, of course, and it climbed the tree as the tree bent over. The truck nearly flipped onto its side, then the tree snapped and the truck came down on the wheels on one side, then settled onto all four. My grandson really had a ball watching that one!

The truck is well skid plated with the factory skids. They are a three piece overlapping affair that start at the radiator, then go back to the transmission. There are several smaller skids for the gas tank, transfer case, and the servo motor for the locking rear differential. Everything else is well tuck up. The skids are pretty beat up.

I use the truck for its intended purpose, but don't abuse it. It is a daily driver. I use it to tow my utility trailer. I pull a 10' railroad rail drag over my property to keep the cheat grass down. It goes hunting. It goes four-wheeling. It goes to work. It just goes and goes and goes. It did get far more hard core four-wheeling when I lived in the Eastern Sierra. But it's a great truck for everything I've used it for.

GlacierView_LowerThird07.jpg

No, there's no fancy camera work for this one. The truck is really that much off camber, and on a very steep climb in the Sierra above my old home in Big Pine, CA. The photo was taken very near this spot below:

GlacierView_MiddleThird07.jpg

It is built in the USA. I forget, but I think Georgia? I still have the window sticker on file.

• Like 2

Very nice write up, and sounds like you have put that truck through some serious off-roading! Looks like it has seen a lot of everything, and you haven't had any major problems? Once again, I am impressed!

I use the Durango for all kinds of stuff, but usually the kids and wife are too scared to do any type of real hill climbs or mudding. I have banged it up good though when we go off road, definitely don't let possible dents or scratches get in the way. I will have to take more photos the next time I am out.

The two close calls I had were in sand, when one on a steep grade where I was drifing toward a nice cliff! I wish I would have taken some photos of those incidents, but live and learn I guess.

I traded in my 05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, it had the locking diff and all. Right now I just got a 2011 Frontier 2wd open diff.

My Willys is still all torn apart in my yard. LOL, I need to either sell those two or restore them.

• Like 1

I found this photo from a while back of my Ford Taurus that we use to explore in.

here's my little truck, 2wd open diff, strip down 4 cylinder with two options. AC and auto trans. BUT when you pay cash, the payments are a heck of a lot more affordable!!