• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU CREW

What Gets You There?

That looks like it has plenty of clearance, at least a few more inches of clearance than my Durango! Nice Truck.

• Like 1

It's amazing how much the "Japanese" trucks have grown from their 1970s or even early 1980s counterparts.

• Like 1

Yeah, they are really competing with the "Domestic" markets now, and it's good to see some nice trucks and SUV's. I don't really like any of the "Domestic" car companies anymore, and it's nice to have an alternative. I have never owned a Japanese "made" vehicle before, but I am certain I will in the not to distant future.

My Tacoma was made in the USA as per the sticker. My CR-V was built in Japan. As for build quality, though not really comparing apples to apples, they feel essentially the same as far as structural and asthetic quality.

• Like 2

Yeah, we took that Taurus all over and it never let us down, but the transmission was starting to slip when we traded it in for the Durango. Like you say, whatever works and we knew it was time for something with a little more clearance after we bottomed that Taurus out numerous times.

My Tacoma was made in the USA as per the sticker. My CR-V was built in Japan. As for build quality, though not really comparing apples to apples, they feel essentially the same as far as structural and asthetic quality.

I always found it amazing how companies like Toyota could be opening plants here while our so called Domestic companies were closing them here and opening new plants over seas. I know Ford and GM both used the bail out money to build plants and move operations to other countries. :25stompstompmad:

This Nissan, in fact, all my Frontiers from 1999 were made in USA. My Tacoma was USA too. Look for the 1 at the start of the VIN. Many GM are 2's now

My last few vehicles have been Jeep Wranglers, but I needed something quieter.  My current vehicle is a Jeep Commander that I lifted.  Most of the trails I travel are covered with sharp mining chip rock, so I needed the larger, offroad tires.  The one on the right is stock height. 

• Like 1

:29snick:  Yeah, I was thinking maybe a 4 inch lift and some nice tires like you have one yours. So many times I had to turn back due to being too low to the ground. Of course with the cost of a lift, I could probably get a nice Polaris! 

• Like 1

You could probably easily and cheaply add a spacer lift.  Maybe 3-4 hours to install and around $200 for the lift.  That would give you about 2" of lift.  enough to clear tires 2-3" taller.  Total, you'll see about 4-5" of additional clearance.

When you start to look into lifts in the 3" and up range, it becomes way more difficult and expensive.  You'll need new coils, probably new control arms.  Definitely new shocks.  You may even get driveline vibrations from the change in driveshaft angle. Personally, I wouldn't go that high  if it'll only get me an extra inch or two. 

Mine rides about 4.5 inches over stock and has about a foot of ground clearance now.  I installed the lift myself in about 2 hours.  Total, I have about $800 in upgrades and that includes the 33" tires.

• Like 2

I agree with John, you can usually, (notice I didn't say always), go about two inches without heavy mods. Anymore than that and you'll need upper control arms, extended brake lines, shocks and what not else. If I am able to get a new truck next summer, I'll just bump it with strut spacers and add-a-leafs. I'm not into any heavy wheeling, crawling things anymore to warrant the advanced articulating suspension systems.

These guys are good and ship quick. (Not good shocks though, IMO)

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/dodge-durango-225-front-leveling-kit-4wd2wd-2004-2009-p4278.aspx

• Like 1

i dont have a camera any more so i dont have pictures of them.  i used to have a brownie back in the fiftys and sixtys.  took a lot of pictures of the ghost towns.  might have taken a few of my old jeeps to.  lost all the photo albums in the fire when my place burned.

i dont have a camera any more so i dont have pictures of them.  i used to have a brownie back in the fiftys and sixtys.  took a lot of pictures of the ghost towns.  might have taken a few of my old jeeps to.  lost all the photo albums in the fire when my place burned.

That's a bummer. Do you still get out often to explore?

08 dodge ram 2500

00 jeep wrangler

73 ford f250

72 jeep gladiator 3/4 ton

70 jeep cj5

I used to have a 77 J-20 PU, (AMC gladiator) quadratrac full time 4wd, 3 differentials and a switch in the glovebox to lock it all up to get somewhere. Awesome truck, nasty sorry gas mileage

I had a 70 CJ 5 and a 80 as well. The 70 was not as long as the 80 and had a different windshield frame. Nice jeeps

• Like 1

Looks like this will be another summer with the Durango! Getting it ready for summer, so far changed the transmission fluid, engine oil, axle fluids, etc. Anyone getting their rig ready for summer?

• Like 1