• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU CREW

What Gets You There?

Great backroad warriors, everyone! My primary set of wheels these days is a 2010 Subaru Outback.

6054990004_f2d026e290_z.jpg

Only a little 2.5 L 4-banger, but with a six-speed manual, she usually manages to get out of her own way. As evidenced in the picture, she made it up to Southern Cross, MT, and that's far from the worst road I've taken the Outback on.

• Like 2

Great backroad warriors, everyone! My primary set of wheels these days is a 2010 Subaru Outback.

6054990004_f2d026e290_z.jpg

Only a little 2.5 L 4-banger, but with a six-speed manual, she usually manages to get out of her own way. As evidenced in the picture, she made it up to Southern Cross, MT, and that's far from the worst road I've taken the Outback on.

What kind of fuel mileage do you see with your Outback? Looks like you have decent clearance too!

• Like 1

What kind of fuel mileage do you see with your Outback? Looks like you have decent clearance too!

As my everyday commuter, it averages about 27, can't say what it does in a more exploratory environment though. Yes, when I looked into buying one, I was surprised by the stock clearance, 8.7 inches, apparently the same as a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited!

I would love to get 27 mpg, I bet I am lucky to see 10 mpg when offroading the Durango. Do you take care of all the maintenance yourself?

I have a 2010 FJ. Ghost towns and photography are exactly what lead me to buy it! After driving my wife's Tucson to Chloride and up to see the murals, she decided that I needed something beefier.  :lmao22:

2010 Toyota FJ, Goodyear Kevlar tires, no lift yet. 

8324608172_4ce25eed88_b.jpg

Onboard I have an iPad with more GPS apps that I can stand, but run Gaia Green mostly. I use a Dual GPS module since I have a first gen iPad. I also have a CB and 2 Meter amateur radio. And don't forget the Sock Monkey! He goes everywhere with me!

8212898580_f222df0794_b.jpg

Sock Monkey:

8126202893_0db9c6f3dd_c.jpg

• Like 3

Nice ride Nick! How many rows of seats can you get in those Toyotas? Do they have an option for the third row seat or is it to short?

Belive me ... even if there was the option for a 3rd row (which I'm almost certain that there is no option), you'd not want it. I tried to get into the 3rd row of a Jeep Commander (2006) recently and about killed myself in the attempt ...

• Like 2

Belive me ... even if there was the option for a 3rd row (which I'm almost certain that there is no option), you'd not want it. I tried to get into the 3rd row of a Jeep Commander (2006) recently and about killed myself in the attempt ...

I was thinking for the kids, but I know what you are talking about. The Durango has 3 rows, but I would hate to try to get in the third row, but the kids all like to fight about who gets to sit back there. :lmao22::waitasec:

Nice ride Nick! How many rows of seats can you get in those Toyotas? Do they have an option for the third row seat or is it to short?

Thanks Bob! 

I have seen a guy do aft facing seats in the back. It is a crowded little truck in the back. When we're on a long trip I lay the seats down in the back and pack it full. If I carry people with us then we pull a small trailer for all our gear. 

• Like 2

I was looking at one at the dealer one day a few yrs ago when I was having my tacoma serviced and yeah, they're small but nice.

With my growing family, I am probably going to need to get something bigger than the Durango in a year or two, but there isn't much out there bigger and not a GM product.

There's also the Toyota Sequoia. But I think the Nissan looks better. And the Sequoia is just plain too big and bulky and to me just way disproportioned. The previous generation Sequoia is a bit smaller and far better looking and porportioned.

• Like 2

01_toyota-sequoia.jpg

I recently looked at this 2001 Sequoia at a local car dealer recently. I think they made this model until 2005 or so. They are available with V8 engines and third row seating. The dealer wanted $13,000 for this rig. I test drove it, but it was purchased before I made a decision.

• Like 1

That looks good, and it really looks in good shape.

When its time, love to have an SUV, just a long I can sleep in the back and be comfortable.

• Like 1

Yeah, it had only 70,000 miles on it. Paint was fading on the roof and hood, but otherwise it was solid. Drove nice.

Yeah, I forgot about the Sequoia, those are probably good too. I'm more familiar with the Nissan products but nothings wrong with Toyotas.

We bought it like this from a Toyota dealer, used. It has a 3" lift, aftermarket exhaust, and other performance goodies on it. We had it for about 15 months now. We had a corolla but after taking a week long trip to Arches NP, and other NP, we decided we needed a 4wd.

• Like 2

I hope to get a lift in the Durango, but now I am afraid it won't last long enough to make it worth it.

• Like 1

My wife's and my expedition buggy.attachicon.gifget-attachment.jpeg

Hey Larry! Come see us at: www.sincitywickedfjs.com  

We do trail runs often and the ones that I lead always have a ghost town/mining camp theme. 

Also, feel free to email me when it comes to the FJ. I sell and install CB radios and do all sorts of electrical work on them. 

• Like 1

Nick, I go by the name,Semikrazy on that site. Unfortunately for now, I'm a long haul truckdriver and my 4 days at home a month doesn't leave me much time for trail runs. I may have a dedicated route lined up which will get me home weekly. I have questions about this fj and would like to meet up with you guys. I've seen Hector's fj a few times, but never met him.

• Like 2